75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got postings on my local CL and a few other places, asking people to contact the folks in Kansas AND continue to crosspost to get more exposure. The calls will start tomorrow from me.

I wish there was more I could do.

I have just looked at the Video for the first time.

Now bear in mind please that on FHOTD I just watched a horse slaughter video all the way through without flinching- I have no problem with horse slaughter although the dispatcher was a moron who needed sacking, there was no down and out cruelty.

This is one of the worst cases of premeditated cruelty I have ever seen- maybe it is the large numbers that makes it so wrong.

This did not happen overnight- he, who I assume is still well fed with a tap nearby???- has been watching this happen.

Forget the age this guy is not much older than ME!!!!!!!

He is not old.

He is using that as an excuse.

I am disabled- I am living on a (private) disability pension.

I own my house.

My horses are, if anything, too fat.

I live seven miles from where I keep them and NO day goes by that they are not attended- if I cannot do it I pay someone else too.

When I cannot afford to do either I shall either sell or destroy.

I shall NOT just stop looking after them.

This is DISGUSTING- This is beyond understandable.

The man needs shooting, and even that is too good for him.

Had anyone contacted AMHA??

I KNOW they will say it is none of their business but surely a formal complaint HAS to be listened to- they have rules, after all.

OK what do you want me to do??

Sending money- Yes I can do that but what else?????

Check the link out, here, lol, and go to the bottom and read the last letter to the editor from a Vicky Trembly in Topeka. I understand that is where he lives... if this is him it might explain the situaition???
http://www.cjonline.com/stories/082107/opi_192985193.shtml
Good work Danielle finding that site. I had been wondering about a letter to the editor of a newspaper. When I saw their "on line letter to the editor" I decided to give it a try. Here is what I wrote.

"Dear Webmaster

I have written the following with the hope that not only will it be posted to your on-line Letters to the Editor, but that it will be printed in your newspaper. If you need additional information please contact me. Pictures can be provided.

Sincerely,

Donna Bova

573 295 4033

At this moment there are approximately 100 miniature horses dying of starvation and thirst at a farm in Unionville, Kansas. Some are infested with maggots, some are too weak to stand, others cannot walk, they all show signs of starvation and malnutrition. They are very near death.

Chances Mini Horse Rescue has been in touch with the Bourbon County Sheriff who told them 2 weeks ago that he had spoken to the owner and that, under his supervision, the horses are now being cared for. However, a member of the rescue visited the farm on Oct 5th and found no sign of care being given. The pastures are bare, there was no food and no water available. This farm is littered with junk vehicles, discarded appliances, piles of old tires and metal drums of unknown origin. Very soon this property will also be littered with the dead bodies of dozen of horses. The possibility of EPA violations should be of concern to all Unionville residents.

Public records show that the owner of these horses has received in excess of $99,000 in farm subsidy payments; but his horses lie dying of starvation and neglect.

There are hundreds of concerned citizens, nationwide, who are contacting Kansas state officials in an attempt to gain access to these horses so that proper care can be provided. To say that the response of those officials has been disappointing would be an understatement.

Media contacts have been made to newspapers, local TV stations and their affiliates ie, ABC, CBS, CNN, etc..

I implore the citizens of Kansas to join us in demanding that action be taken to improve the quality of life of these defenseless animals. You don't have to be an "animal lover" to have compassion for Gods creature when they're obviously in such dire need of help."

Also, something (else) that's been bothering me. Who is the vet who checked them and stated that they are not in "imminent danger"? Why is she not on our list of people to contact?

Here is a small sample of all the FAXES I made up to send to the Sheriff in the morning:

SAFE THE LITTLE HORSES

CALL CHANCES MINIATURE HORSE RESCUE TODAY

FORCE TREMBLY TO SIGN THE SURRENDER PAPERS

AND THIS CAN ALL GO AWAY

GOOD LOVING HOMES ARE WAITING FOR THE LITTLE HORSES

CALL CHANCES MINIATURE HORSE RESCUE

DOES YOUR WIFE KNOW ABOUT THIS???

HELP US SAVE THE MINIS

CALL CHANCES MINIATURE HORSE RESCUE NOW

THEY ARE OUT OF TIME

LET US HELP

CALL CHANCES MINIATURE HORSE RESCUE TODAY

DID YOU GET ANY SLEEP LAST NIGHT?

ARREST VERNON TREMBLY

DON'T LET A CRMINIAL GET AWAY

IT'S YOUR JOB

THE HORSES WILL HAVE JUSTICE

YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO UP HOLD THE LAW

BY THE TIME YOU GET THIS ONE MILLION PEOPLE

WILL KNOW YOU WON'T HELP THE LITTLE HORSES

Your quotes are wonderful Marty!!

Some I thought of this morning and will be faxing over:

You ate dinner last night, can you say that about the horses? Let CMHR Help!!

While eating lunch today, think of the starving horses.

CMHR wants to help!!

While you go home this evening to a warm dinner, what are the horses eating? CMHR can help!!

Thirsty...need a cold drink? So do the horses!!! CMHR can help!!

http://www.bourboncountyks.org/elected_officials.htm

this web site list all the officials for Uniontown. All the way from the Bush on down to the town clerk.

Links

George W. Bush, President

Richard Cheney, Vice-President

1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW

Washington, D.C. 20500

comments: 1-202-456-1111

www.whitehouse.gov

US Senator, Sam Brownback - (R )

303 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510

(202) 224-6521

US Senator, Pat Roberts- ®

109 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510

(202) 224-4774

US Representative, Nancy Boyda (D) 2nd District

1711 Longworth House Office Building

Washington, D.C. 20515

(202) 225-6601

State Officials

Governor, Kathleen Sebelius

1-800-748-4408

Lieutenant Governor, Mark Parkinson

1-800-748-4408

Secretary of State, Ron Thornburgh

1-785-296-4564

Attorney General, Paul Morrison

1-785-296-2215

Treasurer, Lynn Jenkins

1-785-296-3171

Commissioner of Insurance, Sandy Praeger

1-800-432-2484 (in Kansas only)

State Senator, Jim Barone District 13

1-785-296-7370

State Representative, Bob Grant District 2

1-785-296-7656

State Representative, Shirley J. Palmer, District 4

1-785-296-7698

Phone number of County Elected Officials is 620-223-3800 unless otherwise noted.

County Commissioner-District 1

Terry Graham Mondays & Fridays

County Commissioner-District 2

Bill Brittain Mondays & Fridays

County Commissioner-District 3

Gary Houston Mondays & Fridays

County Clerk

Joanne Long 620-223-5832 fax

County Treasurer

Susan Quick 620-223-3444 fax

Register of Deeds

Sharon Elder 620-223-5241 fax

County Attorney

Terri L. Johnson 620-223-2910, 620-223-3781 fax

Sheriff

Harold D. Coleman 620-223-1440, 620-223-0055 fax

Uniontown

City Clerk

Ellen Harper (interim)

PO Box 51

Uniontown, KS 66779

620-756-4742

Mayor

Rick Allen

City Council

Richard Dodge

Iva Jean Isaac

Janice Ramsey

Randy Rathbun

Michael Vanzant

We have been told that Mr. Trembly is in no way disabled or anything of the sort. He is 71 years old and is said to be in very good physical condition. Not possitive, but I think that his neighbors told that to Ginny.......someone did.

I better quit talking midnight convoy on here. Just ignore I said that. After all, that's illegal, and I never would seriously encourage a thing like that.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Of course it's illegal and I'm sure everyone here knows that....but we'd still all LIKE to be able to do that.

I have a whole list of things that in situations like that should be legal....but aren't. :no:

Just found this on the internet. If these people were able to rescue horses in Kansas maybe they could help with this problem. If it's already been mentioned just excuse. Tks.

Kansas

Hero Rides To the Rescue of Horses Suffering Neglect

July 15, 2007 : 12:06 PM

Baldwin City resident Kathy Grissum has come to the rescue of eight starving horses in Douglas County.

Hero Rides To the Rescue of Horses Suffering Neglect

Local animal lover Kathy Grissum has taken in eight starving horses and is nursing them back to health with much-need food and lots of hands-on loving care.

The horses were rescued earlier this spring through a joint effort of the Lawrence Humane Society, a veterinarian, and the Bureau of Land Management.

Read the complete story from the July 9th Lawrence Journal-World:

Click Here for Story

What You Can Do

Adopting homes and donations for the horses are still needed.

If you are interested in adopting one of the horses, or can send a donation to help with their care, please contact:

Lawrence Humane Society at 785-843-6835

Baldwin City resident Kathy Grissum at 785-594-2800

Posted by Patricia Haddock, Best Friends Network

Photo is representative only; photo credit: www.projects.ex.ac.uk

This was the link to story... http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/jul/09/h...fering_neglect/
:aktion033: :aktion033: Kathy is on board, :aktion033: :aktion033: Very nice lady!! I spoke with her at length this morning, she asked a lot of questions and wanted pictures. I sent her links for all the pictures, and of the initial notice (page 1) and Ginny's update on page 56, as well as links to CMHR and the 2 videos. She said she lives about an hour and a half from Unionville, but will be in contact with people she knows of who might help us.

Please don't innundate her with requests for help.....because she's already agreed to. But a few "thank yous" would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had not spoken to Vern since that one time I posted way back at the beginning of this thread until yesterday.

And Vern called me and we talked for an hour or more yesterday while I was in New Mexico away from my computer.

Susan O.

Susan -

I am so sorry to put you on the spot in this matter. But I can't help but think you have more power with Mr. Trembly than the rest of us. Do you think there is any way you could get the man to sell you or any of us at least some of these horses? Maybe if you explain that you are looking out for him and that literally thousands of people know about this situation at this time, and more are learning about it every minute that goes by? That the governor, state vet, and just about every other official that we can think of has been contacted in Kansas about him?

I've been in a somewhat similar situation to you several times in my dog rescue work, though never on this level. I've worked with families that produce litter after litter of pups, all the while not feeding them enough, never worming, vaccinating, etc. Keeping them tied out on chains with no weather protection, only having hot scummy water available or just snow in the winter.

And the best way I've found to get those animals out of there and to spay/nueter any I have to leave behind is to work WITH the owner. I befriend them, and gently work my way towards my goals.

Do I always have real sympathy for these folks? No, not always, but sometimes, it depends on the situation. I'm not sure what Mr. Trembly's situation is but we all do KNOW that minis are dying or will be soon there - and they are suffering HORRIBLY!

So please, Susan - I'm begging you - you seem like a very nice person - can you do anything more here?? Can you help to save these little ones?? I honestly do hate to put you on the spot and don't want you to feel defensive. I'm just one of thousands that are feeling so desperate here. I just can't stand the thought that these minis are all suffering even as I type this, and that some are probably dying. No creature deserves this kind of death.

Thanks for considering.

Renee McArtor

Way to go, Donna!! :aktion033: Great idea on the thank yous. So glad to hear that there is another person who is fairly local getting involved.

I am confident that we can get this resolved this week and get those minis the help they need.
default_pray.gif
: I am inspired by all the action that is being take by horse folks and non-horse folks, just in my little circle of friends.

Keep the faith everyone! :xbud:

:aktion033: :aktion033: Kathy is on board, :aktion033: :aktion033: Very nice lady!! I spoke with her at length this morning, she asked a lot of questions and wanted pictures. I sent her links for all the pictures, and of the initial notice (page 1) and Ginny's update on page 56, as well as links to CMHR and the 2 videos. She said she lives about an hour and a half from Unionville, but will be in contact with people she knows of who might help us.

Please don't innundate her with requests for help.....because she's already agreed to. But a few "thank yous" would be appreciated.

Thanks to Kathy for agreeing to help. It took me forever to be able to post as a new member..but that's okay, I assume it is because of the great number of people doing the same. I am horrified, out of tears for the moment as they all came out yesterday. I have emailed, sent links in chat rooms, called, and will continue to do so. I am in NC, I have room for one or two minis if you can get them to me. I have two horses who would love the company and children and family that would help me to help them. Let me know any way else I can help. Prayers are going constantly. Marestare community is aware and appalled (sp) as we all are.

I have spent all morning on the phone with local newspapers to no avail but finally got someone from the associated press to at least be willing to see the pictures and see what he could do he asked some questions that is a good start.

I sent him pictures and gave him the number to a BOD of CMHR (Gini Acton yours was the only one I had right here at my fingertips so he may just call you)

I will give him a follow up call in a little while- lets hope this guy cares!

[SIZE=14pt]I don't most much on here, just try to sit back, bite my tongue and do what is asked of me. But I have to speak up here in reference to Trembly telling Susan O. that he goes out there every day to feed his horses and worm, etc. He is a LIAR. He may have mental problems or he may just be a completely heartless individual, but the bottom line is that he is saying whatever he can to try and make all of this go away. Ginny and Jess saw first hand that there was poor quality hay (weeds) and NO WATER for these horses on their SURPRISE visit to his farm. They could tell by the way the horses acted when they saw she was going to water them, that they hadn't had any in a while. So, if Trembly indeed does go out there everyday and does not water them, well, that's just another reason why he never needs to be responsible for another life, human or equine. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]And another thing, how can the sheriff and the vet turn a blind eye to this situation? Says a lot about the character of those individuals as well. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Ginny or Marty or Jess, has anything else been mentioned about the "53 too many horses Trembly had for his land size" again? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]And I think Rachel had a great idea about Susan talking to him again to possibly buy or take some horses off of his hands, if Susan is willing to do that. Great approach, as a friend and trying to help, and it just may get a good response from Trembly.[/SIZE]

UPDATE:

This morning I spoke to John Kerr, KBI.

He listened to the story and I directed him here to read the goings on.

He told me that the KBI is not over the Sheriff.

The only one that can do anything at this point about the Sheriff is the City Attorney.

Marty I have a number if someone from CMHR would like to pm or email me so they can follow up with the Associated Press guy since they have documantation and such. I had given him Gini's number.

I am not understanding why anyone would have to go over the Sheriff if he is not the be all end all in the cases like this other then it is a tiny town that I am sure he is used to running

So please, Susan - I'm begging you - you seem like a very nice person - can you do anything more here?? Can you help to save these little ones??
I SECOND THIS....she seems to be someone who can at least get to square one with this (I cannot use the term MAN...he doesn`t fit the description)....

I spoke with Kathy Grissum again and she urged us to contact the TV stations. I know some of that has already been done, but according to her we need to keep it up til we get results.

I know I reinvented the wheel (because somewhere in this 70 something pages) someone has already posted contact information for the KC TV stations.....but here they are again.

Please join me in following Kathy's advice and let's bombard these TV stations!!!! Let's show them that we will not sit idly by while these horses die.

KMBC 9 http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/contactus/index.html

KCTV 5 http://www.kctv5.com/station/13482536/detail.html

WDAF Fox 4 http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/InsideF...tUs?pageId=5.11

KCPT (Kansas City Public Television) http://www.kcpt.org/about/contact.shtml

MSNBC http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10285339/

NBC Action News http://www.nbcactionnews.com/content/contactus/default.aspx

Edited because first link for KCTV 5 didn't work.

I just talked to a reporter from Fox 4 News in Kansas City. She replied to my email of yesterday. She wanted to talk to a local person and I did not know the contact information for Ronni. I referred to Gini to get that information. I hope you are okay with that Gini.

We are getting things moving!

Faye

Shannon I have been thinking about the "land size" issue as well. More and more I am thinking that was the 30 day thing that the Sheriff had granted him. Time to buy the additional 20 acres adjacent to his property which according to the Sheriff he was doing. It may well be the law in that instance. Which infuriates me if that is the case because common sense says that if the man purchases an additional 20 acres of land to be in compliance with the town/county zoning regulations, then how likely is it he will let go of any horses without a fight? Sheriff Coleman saw those horses and misinformed CMHR about their true status. :no: More and more he is becoming the real villain to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back