75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sending out the following updated e-mail to every single horse rescue group listed on petfinder. Right now I've sent to close to 200 rescues and there are more yet to go. If anyone wants to use this letter to copy and forward around to anyone they know that might help, please feel free to do so - go ahead and change my name to yours if you'd like, and add anything else in or take anything out that you feel might be helpful.

10/6/07

There is a large herd of miniature horses in Uniontown, Kansas in desperate need of help. Chances Miniature Horse Rescue have been working with local authorities, and many members of the Lil' Beginnings Miniature Horse Forum community have been writing and calling public authorities of Kansas as well as news stations in an attempt to get these animals the assistance they desperately need. Unfortunately, at a visit to the farm this weekend by members of CMHR, it was found that these animals continue to be in desperate need. Conditions at the farm have not been improved as was reported by the local sheriff!

The following are links to 2 different videos showing very recent photos of the situation there – please be forewarned, they are VERY disturbing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofbRCVwXcaI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK45v5Rwiio.

Next is a link to the Lil’ Beginnings forum so you can follow the story from it’s start:

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=83038

HOW CAN YOU HELP?! NOW IS THE TIME TO MAKE SOME NOISE!! Forward this e-mail around to anyone you know who might be able to help in any small way!

The sheriff on this case is Harold D. Coleman. He assured out of state volunteers with CMHR that conditions at the farm were improving and that he was seeing to it. Many of the photos of the farm shown in the above you tube links were taken by CMHR volunteers THIS weekend, weeks AFTER this promise was made. The only food in sight, which was available to only some of the minis on this farm, was moldy blackened hay. And there was NO WATER.

Contact information:

Sheriff Harold D. Coleman

PO Box 42, Ft. Scott, KS 66701

204 S. National

Fort Scott, KS 66701

620/223-1440

FAX 223-0055

Email: [email protected]

HERE ARE OTHER CONTACTS THAT MAY PROVE TO BE HELPFUL, IF ENOUGH PERSONS LET THEM KNOW THEY CARE!

The Bourbon County Attorney [email protected]

Office of the Governor

Capitol, 300 SW 10th Ave., Ste. 212S

Topeka, KS 66612-1590

Voice 1-877-KSWORKS (1-877-579-6757)

Local 785-296-3232

For the Hearing Impaired 1-800-766-3777

Governor's email http://www.governor.ks.gov/comments/comment.htm

This site gives Kansas legislation contact info:

http://www.ipsr.ku.edu/ksdata/vote/20011.shtml

Anderson Cooper 360 CNN

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/anderson.c....360/index.html

KSUCVM • Association of Equine Practitioners

Dr. Bonnie Rush E-mail: [email protected]

2007 - 2008 Executive Officers

President Amanda Sherck (2008)

E-mail: [email protected]

Vice President Michael VanDerwalker (2008)

Secretary Jacqueline Allen (2009)

Treasurer John Lutter (2008)

Emergency Team Coordinator Sarah Waxman (2008)

Wet Lab Coordinator Nicole Poulin (2008)

Fundraiser Chair Kari Hampe (2007)

Class of 2008 Rep Sue Barnett (2009)

Kansas Horse Council & the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine - both have helped in Kansas horse neglect/abuse issues.

http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/cruelty/ks_cruel.htm

http://www.vet.ksu.edu/

State Veterinarian of Kansas:

Mr. George Teagarden

State Veterinarian

Kansas Animal Health Department

708 S. Jackson

Topeka, KS 66603-3714

e-mail: [email protected]

Tel Nr: (785) 296-2326

Fax Nr: (785) 296-1765

Kansas County & District Attorney's - by county

http://www.kcdaa.org/

state contacts for oversite of the cruelty laws

708 SW Jackson

Topeka, KS 66603-3714

Phone: (785) 296-2326

Fax: (785) 296-1765

Bourbon county farm bureau

Contact your Farm Bureau office at 620-223-3370

Debbie Comstock - [email protected]

Donna Simpson - [email protected]

Lynda Foster - [email protected]

David Foster - [email protected]

Thank you for caring!!! To contact CMHR, visit their website at www.chancesminihorserescue.org

Renee McArtor, concerned horse lover in Iowa

These little guys need every bit of help they can get and if you think an ad would help then go for it...everyone should do anything and everything to help out. I am glad to see we have 125 guests on this topic! :aktion033: :aktion033: And I do hope each one is able to help in some way. Mary

You guys are all amazing people! I'm back home now and catching up on this thread. There are a TON of wonderful ideas here. One I was thinking of on the drive home from World today was what about taking out an ad in a local paper notifying the locals that this situation is going on and their elected official (the sheriff) isn't doing his job. What do you think? I don't know how much something like this would cost, but I could contribute to it, or pay for it totally if it wasn't too outrageous.

Thoughts?

This is breaking my heart. I would love to take some of them in if it was at all possible. Please let me know. I just sent an email to CBS, some new broadcasting stations in Kansas and to the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.
default_yes.gif
: gees I hope I don't get into trouble for that one. I even sent those pictures you posted. We have to get something done. You guys are awesome in the way your working this all out and all the hard work that's been done by you. You should pat yourselves on the back. Great with powers in numbers. :aktion033:

Mr Trembly owns the property and has been collecting almost $100,000 in subsidies over the past years.

CMHR has a person in Ft Scott who is notifying the local paper of what is going on. Ft Scott is the Bourbon County seat. it is appx 10/15 miles from Uniontown who I understand has a population of about 250 people.

Ginny
WHAT?????????????? Now my blood is past boiling. How can someone who supposedly lives in government housing collect $100,000 in subsidies over the past years???????? Hello??? Something is no kosher here. Subsidies for what?????? Certainly isn't for improving his property.

Something smells here, any way to find out what the subsidies were for???

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Letter Renee, just forwarded it to everyone on my list including the non horsey people to get more and more people involved.

I'd make a midnight run anytime. This is bringing back terrible memories of a similiar case here by me a few years ago. TERRIBLE and I was the Vets assistant. Alot of the horses big and small were so starved they couldn't stand. And the worst part is she got a number of them BACK when court ordered she couldn't have any and the police knew and did NOTHING. So the night ride is looking pretty good to me.

Just found this on the internet. If these people were able to rescue horses in Kansas maybe they could help with this problem. If it's already been mentioned just excuse. Tks.

Kansas

Hero Rides To the Rescue of Horses Suffering Neglect

July 15, 2007 : 12:06 PM

Baldwin City resident Kathy Grissum has come to the rescue of eight starving horses in Douglas County.

Hero Rides To the Rescue of Horses Suffering Neglect

Local animal lover Kathy Grissum has taken in eight starving horses and is nursing them back to health with much-need food and lots of hands-on loving care.

The horses were rescued earlier this spring through a joint effort of the Lawrence Humane Society, a veterinarian, and the Bureau of Land Management.

Read the complete story from the July 9th Lawrence Journal-World:

Click Here for Story

What You Can Do

Adopting homes and donations for the horses are still needed.

If you are interested in adopting one of the horses, or can send a donation to help with their care, please contact:

Lawrence Humane Society at 785-843-6835

Baldwin City resident Kathy Grissum at 785-594-2800

Posted by Patricia Haddock, Best Friends Network

Photo is representative only; photo credit: www.projects.ex.ac.uk

This was the link to story... http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/jul/09/h...fering_neglect/

Mr Trembly owns the property and has been collecting almost $100,000 in subsidies over the past years.

CMHR has a person in Ft Scott who is notifying the local paper of what is going on. Ft Scott is the Bourbon County seat. it is appx 10/15 miles from Uniontown who I understand has a population of about 250 people.

Ginny
WHAT?????????????? Now my blood is past boiling. How can someone who supposedly lives in government housing collect $100,000 in subsidies over the past years???????? Hello??? Something is no kosher here. Subsidies for what?????? Certainly isn't for improving his property.

Something smells here, any way to find out what the subsidies were for???
Year Conservation Subsidies/ Disaster Subsidies/ Commodity Subsidies /Total USDA Subsidies

1995-2005

1995 $12,555/ $0/ $0/ $12,555

1996 $12,555 /$0 /$0 /$12,555

1997 $12,555 /$0/ $0/ $12,555

1998 $1,764 /$0 /$4,388/ $6,152

1999 $3,009 /$0/ $8,515 /$11,524

2000 $3,009 /$0/ $2,505/ $5,514

2001 $3,009/ $0/ $796/ $3,805

2002 $3,009/ $405/ $680/ $4,094

2003 $3,009/ $0/ $852/ $3,861

2004 $13,322/ $0 /$0 /$13,322

2005 $14,047/ $0/ $0/ $14,047

Total $81,843 /$405/ $17,736/ $99,984

Crop Summary for Vernon D Trembly

Crop Payments

1995-2005

Wheat Subsidies $16,340

Sunflower Subsidies $1,396

Livestock Subsidies $405

Counties where payments were made from

County Subsidy Payments

1995-2004

Dundy County, Nebraska $99,579

Bourbon County, Kansas $405

Total $99,984

Did this individual reside in Nebraska before???? How long has he been in Kansas? Just wondering if he got something from Nebraska when he was no longer living there???

Second that email :aktion033:
Mine is sent too, everyone send an email to them asking for them to look into this NOW.

Marty, I think a newspaper doesn't have the right to refuse someone wanting to put an "ad" in their paper. The paper this needs to go in is where the governor lives. That way she will SEE it and people will start questioning why authorities are not doing their jobs.

Is there a way to find out if this individual has ever had any other complaints brought up against him for his animals, in any state where he resided?

So the night ride is looking pretty good to me.

I am definately for a midnight convoy!!! Pull up and load up and make everyone disappear into the night~and the neighbors wouldn't tell a soul cause they are disgusted too.

Can you tell how much I dispise our legal system and red tape??? Nobody hates it worse than me.

Marty, wait for me, I am coming toooooooooooooooo. We can keep each other company in jail

Something tells me you wouldn't have to even worry about the sheriff. So let the convoy began :aktion033:

I've saved a couple of dogs on night runs and unfortunately one we had to put down right away as the collar was was so inbedded in the neck, and he was septic. And honestly I don't think the owner noticed. HMMMM.

I am putting together an ALERT to broadcast to everybody we know. I'd like to include sample letters that people can send to the Sheriff and State Attorney. I seem to recall some being posted on this thread.... but they are buried in the 78 pages of posts. Can somebody direct me to a sample letter or two??

Thanks.

So the night ride is looking pretty good to me.

I am definately for a midnight convoy!!! Pull up and load up and make everyone disappear into the night~and the neighbors wouldn't tell a soul cause they are disgusted too.

Can you tell how much I dispise our legal system and red tape??? Nobody hates it worse than me.
Marty, my friend and I are ready to lead the convoy from California! We're hitched up and ready to go...just give us the word! :xbud: The cavalry rides again!

The report that Ginny wrote about the scene she seen this weekend is post#556. Hope you use the video that was put together also it is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofbRCVwXcaI

I am putting together an ALERT to broadcast to everybody we know. I'd like to include sample letters that people can send to the Sheriff and State Attorney. I seem to recall some being posted on this thread.... but they are buried in the 78 pages of posts. Can somebody direct me to a sample letter or two??

Thanks.

I just found this, go to the site and to the bottom of the page the last letter to the editor. As everyone is stating he is living in Topeka could this be referring to him????? Does he have a daughter named Vicki?

Danielle you might want to forward that info regarding Trembly's sales to Vicki. She was looking for some sort of proof that he is actually selling horses which would require him to be licensed in Kansas.

Thanks too for the LAR site! One of those gals lives quite close to me and my goal now is to take in one of her training sessions.

I just found this, go to the site and to the bottom of the page the last letter to the editor. As everyone is stating he is living in Topeka could this be referring to him????? Does he have a daughter named Vicki?
I think you forgot the link Danielle!
default_yes.gif
:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back