75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok this link will take you to a list of legislative representatives all with handy emails

http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-house/searchHouse.do

and these are the senators at this link

http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-senate/searchSenate.do

registered kansas voters will have more impact but they can usually get things done if they think it will help with re election.

this list is people working in animal health dept

Adams Elaine 785/296-2326 Hays Animal Health Department 055

Bame Nancy 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Bryant William 785/296-2326 Norton Animal Health Department 055

Burgett Kenneth 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Cooper Barry 785/296-2326 Wichita Animal Health Department 055

Cuthbertson David 785/296-2326 Norton Animal Health Department 055

Deines Rudolph 785/296-2326 Ozawkie Animal Health Department 055

Domer Karen 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Duncan Debra 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Farran Terri 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Flowers Chasity 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Graham Samuel 785/296-2326 Kingman Animal Health Department 055

Grosdidier Paul 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Harrington Patricia 785/296-2326 Junction City Animal Health Department 055

Leffingwell David 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Lippert Christine 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Lynn William 785/296-2326 Altamont Animal Health Department 055

Moore Allen 785/296-2326 Lewis Animal Health Department 055

Palmer Elizabeth 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Ramos Gloria 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Rickard Bryan Topeka Animal Health Department

Schumaker Patricia 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Simon Carman 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Spezia Deborah 785/296-2326 Leavenworth Animal Health Department 055

Stephens Harold 785/296-2326 Marysville Animal Health Department 055

Stephens Teresa 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Teagarden George 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

Wilterding Steven 785/296-2326 Dodge City Animal Health Department 055

Zoesch Pamela 785/296-2326 Topeka Animal Health Department 055

health and environment

Agency Name: Health and Environment, Department of

Agency Address: Suite 540, Curtis State Office Building

1000 SW Jackson Street

Topeka KS, 66612-1290

EMail Address: [email protected]

Phone Number: 785-296-1500

Mona, no worries. We're friends for life.
Thanks Marty.
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

So what if we suck under pressure? (((((( )))))
Who...US??? Like you and me?? nahhhh
default_wacko.png
: LOL!!!

I am so heartbroken seeing these new pictures. I think the only way now to go is to get a major news station on it. My family lives in another part of kansas and I am going to call them tomarrow and see if they know a way in with the major news orgs there. If we all keep raising our voices someone will have to listen!

Correction on that address got the Governor

[email protected]

I looked it up in my sent mail. The last part had to be caps for it to go through. I had sent them on Sept. 27,2007. Sorry I didn't re look it up first :eek:

Oh Virginia>........... I think we almost forgot something........

Doesn't Gini Acton have some very interesting paperwork she would like to post and display here?

This will be good.
default_yes.gif
:

I sent my email to the Governor and I'm just getting warmed up (it's only 8:15 here in California!
default_wink.png
: )

I hope you don't mind, Marty and Ginny, but I submitted some photos to the YouNews feature at KSN news. It's kind of like a local YouTube for photos and videos. Here's the link: http://www.ksn.com/younews It might not be a bad idea for lots of people to submit the photos to them. Of course they review them before posting, but if they get enough people sending these in they might take notice and start investigating. I was careful not to use any names but made sure to include Uniontown, Kansas in all the comments and titles, as well as the "officials" not doing anything--again, no names. Don't want to be accused of slander or libel.

I sent them photos with the filenames KSMinis11 and Skinnyminis090307. People should send different ones so that they receive them all. I just saved them to my PC and then submitted them.

I'd be happy to submit the rest. Let me know.

P.S.-Here's a link that gives all the news stations in Kansas (all networks):

http://newslink.org/KStele.html

This has been confirmed.. You can check it out by going to the mentioned web site.

Mr. Vern has been in horses for 40+ years, he has collected $99,984 in farm subsidies from 1995-2005. In 2002, he collected $405.00 in livestock disaster subsidies, http://farm.ewg.org/farm/persondetail.php?...umber=007923428. What is the state of Kansas and your county thinking?

Ginny and all -

Last winter, there was a starving mare and foal in a pasture in West Virginia. The people in that state trying to help ran into the same uncaring and ignorant attitudes as all of you are running into now. After we all tried and tried, they refused to do a thing.

It got to the point that we had a 'national' campaign of sorts going on - the sheriffs office, the DA's office, the state veterinarian and everyone else that we could think of got hammered with phone calls. PETA was involved as well as it was only a matter of days before this poor mare, still trying to nurse her foal, was going to die either of starvation, freezing to death or both.

If you feel it's time to go that route, please let me know - I can easily get this going as I headed a huge part of it for the W. Virginia horses. A friend, who has an attorney for a husband, also took our part and contacted the state DA and sheriff's department, which did make them finally stand up and take notice. It took a while, but the horses were eventually seized and removed from the property.

My email address is [email protected] - I will do whatever I can to assist and will rally the troops to get this moving if you feel it's at this point. I am also certified in equine cruelty & neglect investigations and will happily place a call to the authorities involved in this situation who are obviously not doing their jobs.

Here are the cruelty to animals statutes for Kansas

http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/cruelty/ks_cruel.htm

Here are links to the Kansas Horse Council & the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine - both have helped in Kansas horse neglect/abuse issues.

http://www.vet.ksu.edu/

State Veterinarian of Kansas

Mr.George Teagarden

State Veterinarian

Kansas Animal Health Department

708 S. Jackson

Topeka, KS 66603-3714

e-mail: [email protected]

Tel Nr: (785) 296-2326

Fax Nr: (785) 296-1765

Kansas County & District Attorney's - by county

http://www.kcdaa.org/

This is just a portion of the authorities that we contacted.....over and over again.......hourly.....people from California to New York were in on it and it got to the point that we absolutely flooded their switchboards.

I am on board and can reach many people very quickly to get on board - just say the word.

This situation is heartbreaking - the pictures of these poor babies are killing me.

Let me know -

Stephany

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just sent out an e-mail to about 150 horse rescue groups listed on www.petfinder.com, and I have lots more to contact. I wanted the e-mail to get right to the point, but in retrospect I'm thinking I should have added right into the e-mail the best people for them to contact (only I'm not exactly sure myself who that is). Any tips on this would be appreciated. I'll send another e-mail tomorrow to the rest of the equine rescues on petfinder.

"10/6/07

There is a large herd of miniature horses in Uniontown, Kansas in desperate need of help. Chances Miniature Horse Rescue have been working with local authorities, and many members of the Lil' Beginnings Miniature Horse Forum community have been writing and calling public authorities of Kansas as well as news stations in an attempt to get these animals the assistance they desperately need. Unfortunately, at a visit to the farm this weekend by members of CMHR, it was found that these animals continue to be in desperate need. Conditions at the farm have not been improved as was reported by the local sheriff.

The following is a link which contains recent photos of some of the horses, as well as all of the information we have on this case if you care to go through it all.

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.ph...3038&st=580

PLEASE HELP IN ANY WAY YOU CAN!! Write to Kansas authorities, seek out news coverage, spread the word!

Thank you for caring!!!

Renee McArtor"

A national campaign is truly needed for this herd of minis! If you have been able to read all the posts you will see that CMHR needs all the help it can get because they can't handle it alone...everyone and I do mean everyone that can help is needed. Help is needed fast because we can see from those pictures and the report they are in horrible condition. Please, please do help these little guys and right away. Thanks from the bottom of my heart, mary

Ginny and all -

Last winter, there was a starving mare and foal in a pasture in West Virginia. The people in that state trying to help ran into the same uncaring and ignorant attitudes as all of you are running into now. After we all tried and tried, they refused to do a thing.

It got to the point that we had a 'national' campaign of sorts going on - the sheriffs office, the DA's office, the state veterinarian and everyone else that we could think of got hammered with phone calls. PETA was involved as well as it was only a matter of days before this poor mare, still trying to nurse her foal, was going to die either of starvation, freezing to death or both.

If you feel it's time to go that route, please let me know - I can easily get this going as I headed a huge part of it for the W. Virginia horses. A friend, who has an attorney for a husband, also took our part and contacted the state DA and sheriff's department, which did make them finally stand up and take notice. It took a while, but the horses were eventually seized and removed from the property.

My email address is [email protected] - I will do whatever I can to assist and will rally the troops to get this moving if you feel it's at this point. I am also certified in equine cruelty & neglect investigations and will happily place a call to the authorities involved in this situation who are obviously not doing their jobs.

Here are the cruelty to animals statutes for Kansas

Here are links to the Kansas Horse Council & the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine - both have helped in Kansas horse neglect/abuse issues.

http://www.vet.ksu.edu/

State Veterinarian of Kansas

Mr.George Teagarden

State Veterinarian

Kansas Animal Health Department

708 S. Jackson

Topeka, KS 66603-3714

e-mail: [email protected]

Tel Nr: (785) 296-2326

Fax Nr: (785) 296-1765

Kansas County & District Attorney's - by county

http://www.kcdaa.org/

This is just a portion of the authorities that we contacted.....over and over again.......hourly.....people from California to New York were in on it and it got to the point that we absolutely flooded their switchboards.

I am on board and can reach many people very quickly to get on board - just say the word.

This situation is heartbreaking - the pictures of these poor babies are killing me.

Let me know -

Stephany

[email protected]

Stephany and Renee, awesome ideas and actions!! :aktion033:

I have just sent emails and photos to the following news agencies imploring them to investigate; I will also be following up with phone calls.

[email protected] (ABC affiliate)

[email protected] (CBS affiliate)

[email protected] (NBC affiliate)

[email protected] (FOX affiliate-Dave Waters, VP)

[email protected] (Independent)

[email protected] (Independent)

[email protected] (Ron Sylvester, Investigative Reporter)

[email protected] (This website not for the squeamish.)

Feel free to send them emails, too. Have faith! We will not give up!! :xbud:
default_torch.gif
:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

--Martin Luther King, Jr.

You got it - I will start writing up emails to gather the callers tonight and have it ready first thing tomorrow morning to get everyone ready to start the Monday "call in".......the calls will continue relentlessly until something is done, that is how it works.

I will post everything here tomorrow - hopefully with everyone working together in an organized way, those little guys will get the help they need quickly. I'm sure we can also get fund-raising going for their care once out of there as well - I can not believe the condition those poor things are in. Especially considering the fact that we have to battle to keep weight OFF of our Miniature - he looks at food and gains 10 lbs.

One word of advice.....I know that everyone is beyond upset and frustrated, but when we start the calls, please try to be diplomatic - firm, but diplomatic.

You're a great group for trying to help these horses - I'm still in shock seeing Miniatures in that condition.....I just don't think I've ever seen a Mini that is skin and bones like those in the pictures.

Ginny - I know the pain you're feeling right now after witnessing the horrors that you saw - lets all pray that we can get these innocent animals fast help and their horrors can be replaced with healing.

[SIZE=14pt]I want to say a big thank you to everyone that has been working on this bad situation. Each one of you are making a difference whether it seems like it or not right now. [/SIZE]

I want to tell you each that we at CMHR have been working on this from the beginning September 16, we have been dealing with the local Sheriff, the Vet, as well as Mr. T. We have been assured by the Sheriff and his office that the "animals" are being cared for, have seen a vet, have good feed, good hay, plenty of water, the junk is being cleaned up,and all their needs have been taken care of . That we dont need to worry about the situation, it has improved. [SIZE=18pt][/SIZE] I can assure all this is a bunch of garbarge. and that is mild.

This is what I saw. 6 junked cars, barrels of who knows what trash and just garbarge all along the the fence. The horse droppings I saw were very wormy looking. I saw one round bale of hay in a hay ring that looked like it had hay mold on it ( black and rotten). We were told he lived on the place by the Sheriff, (but he lives in Redfield with his girlfriend in government housing)and what we found was an abandoned old single wide trailer that didnt even have electricty hooked up to it, hay stored in it, an old motor home, an old school bus, and some other kind of truck there by the trailer. The whole pasture area has no grass at all, it is covered with what we call gyp weed. tall stinking weed with yellow flowers. These horses have nothing to eat.

He has moved some of the horses to another area, I was told 12, I dont know if these are the team that he has to take to fairs or what. He runs a pony ride for children with those, so I assume those are in good shape. I didnt see them on the place.

I didnt see it but I am very sure there has to be a burial site on the place some where. The ground is sandy soil, and should be lush with grass all the surrounding area is full of baled hay that is still in the fields, they have had plenty of rain and the grass is about knee high everywhere but on his place.

Now I would like to tell you who all has been contacted and sent pictures of these poor horse:

The Govenor, livestock commission, Attorney General, KBI, County Attorney, County Sheriff, 2 SPCA groups, one in Wichita and one in Kansas City, local newspapers, TV stations, 2 equine rescue groups, and now to the District Attorney.

I have been patronized and told many things to reassure me it will be looked into. I think that we are not being taken seriously because we are not from Kansas. And they think we will just go away. I assure you that will not be the case. The Sheriff will not take my calls now ( he is either out of the office or is in a meeting).

We have been told that the statutes that apply to this situation are 21-4310 and 21-4313 and that a Kansas resident must file the complaint with the DA's office, and it is a felony as of July 1, 2007.

Under these statutes if the horses are seized they will have to stay in the county until they can be released. When they are released then we may be the rescue that can help find homes for them.

Our goal is to help save as many of these Minis that we can. A secondary goal should be to keep him from ever owning any other animal ever again.

I thank you for letting me vent my flustrations about this problem. I also hope that this helps clear up what we have been going through these last 2 weeks.

I have posted the plight of these dear ones on two other forums I belong to, one of which is very much international, mostly europeen members and I know they will all start emailing, wonder what the sheriff will think when the state veterinarian, the governor of Kansas, etc. start getting emails and calls and faxes from Europe about this!!!! I am hoping that some media in Europe picks this up. This is going to be very interesting to see how fast they clean this up now. I don't think he ever dreamed of getting this kind of publicity but he does deserve it for not doing anything about this earlier, especially since he DOES have the authority. I sure as heck have no respect either for this Sheriff or this owner, GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

mmm thinking about the above, Mona/Mary Lou, isn't their a news woman in France that wanted to do a story before on another issue, a few years back. Did you keep her contact name? If so I think she might be interested in helping us out.

Another way to get this story out to others of the "general public" that I thought of: if you or your kids have a myspace account, send a bulletin about this? Urge your myspace "friends" to send it on as a bulletin, too. Might help get this story out to people who would otherwise never hear it???

I was also wondering if it would do any good to tell a sheriff in another state what is going on? Sherif Joe Arpaio (sp???) here in Arizona is a big animal person, very involved in things such as rescue and having prisoners care for animals, that type of thing. Do you think it would do any good, or the reverse, any harm, in letting him in on the story, and the fact that the Ks sheriff isn't doing anything for these poor minis?

Ginny, do I have your permission to copy/paste what you wrote on page 56, the big update about your trip there? I already did to a horse forum I"m part of, but then I wondered if I should have asked first... I did link to the forum here... if you want me to I will delete it. But I'd like to post it elsewhere if I have your permission.

Jessi

The next few posts from me will be very photo intensive. Some you may have seen but I know some you

haven't.

2007_1005minis20003.jpg

2007_1005minis20001.jpg

2007_1005minis20002.jpg

2007_1005minis20004.jpg

2007_1005minis20005.jpg

2007_1005minis20006.jpg

2007_1005minis20007.jpg

2007_1005minis20009.jpg

2007_1005minis20011.jpg

2007_1005minis20013.jpg

2007_1005minis20015.jpg

Now we all know what it is!

2007_1005minis20016.jpg

2007_1005minis20019.jpg

2007_1005minis20022.jpg

2007_1005minis20024.jpg

2007_1005minis20028.jpg

2007_1005minis20030.jpg

2007_1005minis20034.jpg

2007_1005minis20035.jpg

Oh this is weighing on my mind so much, I can't sleep!!!! I am waiting for the members on the other site (Europeen/international) to see the story, especially one member, Princess Alia Hussein of Jordan. This particular site is a straight egyptian arabian site which I belong to and I know that many on that site will help, especially Princess Alia. When I lost Crystal's foal this year she sent me a beautiful and tear filled email ... doesn't matter what breed you own, we are first and foremost "horse lovers" and will do anything to help those that need help. I will let you know what is said on the other forum and the help that is given to us at this site.

Wayne Pacelle is the president and chief executive officer of The Humane Society of the United States. He has a Blog.....Wayne's Blog I posted on there about the minis as there are no email contacts on their page. Please do the same. Post a comment

One thing I did once when I could not get the owner to give up the animals, I called all of the neighbors. Some of them had no clue what was going on their street. In the end it was a neighbor that got the man to surrender all of his animals. Acutally what she did was take the animals to her place and sold them all within a week for $50 each with the checks made out to the town to pay the mans back taxes. Only way it was legal in this state when the horses were owned by both the wife and husband in the middle of a divorce.

My town has a town phone book. If this town has one it might be a good idea to start calling or mailing all the citizens of this town to let them know what is going on in their town.

Next time someone goes to their town Post some of these pictures around town. Stop into businesses and ask for help. Stop at a neighbors house. Stop at the town hall and ask for a mailing list for the town. Ask for a phone directory for the town. Place a flyer on the telephone poles around town. Get the people that live there involved.

I have sent an email to every email address that has been listed here and have sent pix to YouNews TV. Also found the following and sent emails to them too:

KSUCVM • Association of Equine Practitioners

Advisors

Dr. Bonnie Rush E-mail: [email protected]

2007 - 2008 Executive Officers

President Amanda Sherck (2008)

E-mail: [email protected]

Vice President Michael VanDerwalker (2008)

Secretary Jacqueline Allen (2009)

Treasurer John Lutter (2008)

Emergency Team Coordinator Sarah Waxman (2008)

Wet Lab Coordinator Nicole Poulin (2008)

Fundraiser Chair Kari Hampe (2007)

Class of 2008 Rep Sue Barnett (2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back