28 HORSES STARVED TO DEATH!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shout at anyone who will listen, and talk politely to those he do actually hear you out.

We stopped shouting in the Kansas affair (because we were asked to) and god alone knows how many survived the last winter......

There is a Facebook page that someone has started. There are some very disturbing photos on the site.

Save the Whitlock Horses

What a horrific situation.
default_no.gif
I will never understand how these things happen.

There is a Facebook page that someone has started. There are some very disturbing photos on the site.

Save the Whitlock Horses

What a horrific situation.
default_no.gif
I will never understand how these things happen.
I agree with other people who are saying, "spread the word". I've added the "Whittlock Horses" page to my Facebook list and have shared it as a status........(not to mention making a comment or two.
default_torch.gif
)

What angers me most right now is that the authorities get can't back on this scumbag's farms to SAVE THE REMAINING ANIMALS!!!

PS: Adding to this....

Found some additional info --- This is for folks who want to make their voices known to the W.V. Attorney General, Darrell McGraw, about this case and the laws that are hindering the saving of the remaining LIVE HORSES, here's a number to call:

1-800-368-8808.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all the bad news I can handle tonight. I am just absolutely nauseated by the whole situation. That so many animals were allowed to starve to death at so many locations is just inexcusable not just by their owner but by anyone that turned a blind eye. It breaks my heart.

http://www.register-herald.com/local/x1227162784/Police-report-standstill-in-alleged-horse-abuse-case

Well, the good old boy network has thrown the people helping off the property, and now there are people turning up with hay and feed being turned away.

Talk about stupid, WHAT is going on here?

We have starving animals and people willing to help and the LAW is allowing the horses to be starved to death.

Has anyone ever brought a felony charge against a state authority?

Is it actually possible to hold the entire police force responsible for allowing a felony to take place?

This "campaign" needs lawyers, fast.

This whole affair seems to be going from horrific to completely beyond belief!

Is there no major animal welfare society in this state that can over-rule everyone else and GET IN THERE?????

Anna

Well this appears to certainly be a case where SOME animal authorities from some group should step in- any group. Why should these animals suffer because of this guy? He has money so that makes him an ok person??!! Wow.

These animal welfare groups are always talking about saving animals... where are they?
default_no.gif

I am so frustrated I could scream, I have been sitting at this machine for over an hour trying in vain to find a site for the SPCA so I can e-mail them about this tragidy. Horses are dying as I am typing. Can some one find a site so we can all tell them what is going on. Pleas post for us all if you can find one. I'm sure they will telp in once informed.

I am so frustrated I could scream, I have been sitting at this machine for over an hour trying in vain to find a site for the SPCA so I can e-mail them about this tragidy. Horses are dying as I am typing. Can some one find a site so we can all tell them what is going on. Pleas post for us all if you can find one. I'm sure they will telp in once informed.
It is the ASPCA you will find sites for.

I have a friend that lives in WV and have been told for years that this guy treats his horses terrible. People have called on him and nothing ever done. What nerve he had to start a registry. I heard he had several stallions in with mares at once and then he was telling people he could tell by looking at the foals who was the sire. That's probably why he started his own registry (GOLD SEAL) because he could approve himself who the sire was and didn't have to worry about DNA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know who is in charge of rehabilitating these horses so they CAN be moved? I am hoping it is a few people who are knowledgeable in rehabilitating malnourished horses and other animals as it sounds like there are others involved as well. They said they are just going to feed and water them at their current location. I wonder if they're going to do some separations and go very slow with them? Do these animals have proper shelter?

I wish I lived closer so I could help. I can't imagine knowing about your own animals starving and not doing anything about it
default_no.gif

What nerve he had to start a registry. I heard he had several stallions in with mares at once and then he was telling people he could tell by looking at the foals who was the sire. That's probably why he started his own registry (GOLD SEAL) because he could approve himself who the sire was and didn't have to worry about DNA.
The Bible says "For the love of money is the root of all evils." 1 Timothy 6:10a

Every year in May We take a couple of minis from our farm to the SMAWL event (Southern Maryland Animal Welfare League) and also the Snowflake Society which is a horse rescue. So I e-mailed them and asked for help. They should give me some info on who to contact and what can legally be done to either remove the horses or at least make sure they are feed. It is a six hour drive for me to get there, but if that is what it takes, I will get a convoy together. I am also a founding member of SMTR (Southern Maryland TRail Riders) and a friend of many members that belong to Trot (Trail Riders of Tomorrow) There are many horse people out there to organize to help. Can't do much if the authorties are not co-operative, but I'm still trying.

If you would like to receive the entire photo album to pass on further, please send an email with "album request" in the subject to [email protected]. If you can offer assistance, please send an email with "assisstance" in the subject to [email protected]. Be sure to include your contact information and the type of assistance you can provide. Thanks again for your care and concern.

I have offered to take a couple of the horses, but I explained that I'm not in a position to take mares with foals. We haven't had to rehabilitate starving miniatures, but have had to rehabilitate two emaciated quarter horses.

Jean is correct, so many states do not have that great of animal welfare regulation. The more people that scream and rant to officials, the better chance something will be done. He should be in jail and sell off his assets to rehab the horses IMHO and NEVER allowed to own a living thing again.

There are breeders like this in other states unfortunately that know how to skate right inside the law to not get caught, while their horses suffer and they take in new people to the breed all the time, with bad or no paperwork and wonky horses.

I wish I could have some pity for him, as he's obviously not all there, but I can't. I've taken in 9 rescues this year in various states of malnourishment and a couple close to a body scale of 1. Some people just don't care or their pride gets in the way instead of asking for help before it becomes critical.

This is another area I wish the registries (both of them) would have a percentage of our registration fees set aside to help rescues with rehabing these horses AND had a way to police breeders better.

So sad and so very frustrating.

I just got the other pictures taken on the farm. OMG!! It makes me sick to my stomach. Some of the ways the horses died are unbelievable. How can this be allowed to happen? This guy just turned his horses out in the fields to let them fend for themselves. But a harsh winter has not given them the food they need from the ground.

If everyone could take a horse or two to rehabilitate them I am sure it would help. I have offered to take a couple, be it just youngsters or mares and foals. Unfortunately, I have no room for stallions or colts. Have to many of them here and no more room for them, but I could make an area to help rehabilitate a couple.

Enough people offer to do this and they will all be taken care of.

My concern is that the law works slowly and if and when they take the horses away from this creep, it may be too late for many of them.

I am hoping that an acredited organization can step in and help. I have sent off several e-mails and am still waiting for replys. I'll keep trying.

Latest posts

Back