28 HORSES STARVED TO DEATH!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no excuse, none. This makes my blood boil.

And for those that mentioned the Kansas horses, not a day goes by that I don't think of them too with a heavy heart but there is nothing at all that can be done there that I know of.

This is so sad! Not only should the old man be looked into with a mental review but so should his sons who are involved as well.

I have a mare with a g-sire with a 4-G's name on it. No pedigree info after that name. Makes me wonder if the g-sire is really him now.

Also, I know I did it, but how many of you after reading this got up from your computer and took a look at your registrations with that name on it to just see?

Again how sad
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So far it looks like they are leaving the alive horses on the properties, i don't see anything mentioned about removing them, just taking them food. We've been following this, if they remove the horses and need homes, we can probably take 1, possibly 2.

My heart just aches, it is still unbelievable that this has happened. There have been several complaints about his horses and the condition that they were in. I do not know why but it seems like the response was that it was being looked into but nothing was ever done. Several years ago,we went to a couple auctions and like I mentioned earlier, I left very upset. Even back then, nothing was done. I am so upset that with all the years of complaints that nothing was ever done, if someone had done an accurate investigation or done their job right and put politics aside, then this would not have happened to these poor horses. I don't care how old you are, there is no excuse or reason to allow your horses to starve to death. He had several hundred large horses and miniatures. If he had someone to take care of them then he should have been able to at least go to the farms and check on them or have someone or his sons to check on them. There is absolutely no excuse!! So far, veterinians and officials are checking on all the horses and other livestock and are currently feeding them. I am not sure if all the horses will be relocated but I hope they are removed from all his farms and he should never be allowed to own another animal again.

One thing is very certain - if they are able to remove the horses, whatever group gets them they are going to need help. As soon as anyone hears if there is a way we can help. please post the info in this thread.

Thanks

Like many of you, I certainly knew of 4G through the years. His best known stallion was 4Gs Little Kings Alfalfa Pleasure, known as "Hawk" owned by Reeces. I own one mare that is a Hawk grand daughter. Hawk certainly made is mark on the miniature horse industry and Reeces did an amazing job with him.

hawk-body.jpg

Grady was not the only breeder when DNA came in to protest. All for the same reason, determining the real lineage was going to be impossible on farms that let their stallions run with their mares, or who switched stallions with mares frequently.

Over the years we have turned down buying some horses when the breeders were unwilling to Parentage Qualify their horses. Too many red flags for us.

I hope these animals are removed and receive the TLC and food they deserve. But it will be a long road ahead for both the horses and the caretakers. We turned around a starved horse last spring and it is something that still haunts me. Fortunatly she has survived, but it is a heartbreaking thing to go through.

Personally I wish Grady could be made to pay for the rehabilitation of the horses, and all the veterinarian and food bills. We all want was is best for the horses, but others should not have to clean up with their own money for his MANY mistakes. Part of his sentance should be compensation to those who did the right thing for the horses.

I too am alarmed it took so long to stop this horrible situation.

The horses have paid the ultimate price in their lives.
default_no.gif

Joanne is correct. The amount of promoting and presentation the Reeces did with Hawk was phenominal. I too own a daughter of this horse. He was and is one of my alltime favorite stallions. It is what one does with a horse that has phenominal potential and can stand on its own merits that holds true. It is also how someone in this day and age follows through with a responsible program and genetic testing in order to progress with today's techknowledgey. I am proud to own her, she is a beautiful horse.

These poor horses from the 4G's farm were let down on so many, many different levels, of those, the most very basic of needs. It is such a shame. He apparently had what it took back in the day as far as nice horses. It would have just taken him DNA'ing horses that were already on the ground, revamping the turnout and continueing within the new perameters and guidelines. It seems like "delusions of grander" started a horrible downward spiral. It is so very sad to see what has become of something that could have been so much more, and at the horrible price of the health and lives of these horses.
default_no.gif

Personally I wish Grady could be made to pay for the rehabilitation of the horses, and all the veterinarian and food bills. We all want was is best for the horses, but others should not have to clean up with their own money for his MANY mistakes. Part of his sentance should be compensation to those who did the right thing for the horses.

This is pretty much the same thing I was thinking! He owns these three huge farms, so the state or county or whoever, should step in, forcing the sale of one of them in order to pay for the feed and proper care for these horses, not to mention the court costs etc. that it is going to take to get through this mess! If he has the means, which he does in land, then it should be sold to pay to feed his horses and whatever other animals are in his (lack of) care!

This is pretty much the same thing I was thinking! He owns these three huge farms, so the state or county or whoever, should step in, forcing the sale of one of them in order to pay for the feed and proper care for these horses, not to mention the court costs etc. that it is going to take to get through this mess! If he has the means, which he does in land, then it should be sold to pay to feed his horses and whatever other animals are in his (lack of) care!
I think it may be a difficult situation.Grady is some what of a big wheel is his town.The good old boy system often gets in the way of true justice.Many years ago I talked to him several hours in Lexington,VA.I had a mare to be hardshipped who had a suckling foal on her.He tried to buy her in spite of the fact that I told him there were no papers. "NO PROBLEM" were his exact words.I got a funny feeling right then.He also told me his father bred ponies to work in the mines and often traded with the gypsies in the area. More to this story later

My mom and I were talking and we wish there was some way that when this happened that they could garnish or attach there accounts to pay for the horses up keep until the court case would be finalized.

But now it sounds really bad that they are going to not be able to do much to him.

Yes, over the years there were some well known horses that came out of his place. But this nut-case went 'round the bend YEARS ago when he stomped his foot and threw a temper tantrum over the DNA issue, and couldn't get his way like a spoiled little boy. And for a year or two he was able to swing the gullible into believing that his "Gold Seal" registry would be the next best thing to sliced bread.

But people wised up. He no longer was able to sell his horses for big money because without either AMHA or AMHR papers, they were virtually worthless......but unlike a junker car - which is what he apparently considered them.....you cannot put a horse out in the back yard to let it rust and forget about it. He might not pay for his actions in this lifetime, but if there is a God, which I believe there is - he WILL pay for it in the next.

Yes, there were others that were opposed to DNA, but they either complied (belly aching the whole time) or sold out. They didn't starve their animals to death.

This is a horrible situation..

What can be done since there are so many counties involved is to seeze all his assets,

then pick the largest parcle to make into a mini horse habitat or sancuatury,

move all the horses to this one location,

sell the remaining land (it should be enough to care for all of them till the last one is 30 years old) to take care for his stupitity,

put his son in as day laborer with an ankle monator on for his sentance and force him to care for all the minis he help destroy by himself,

to get a taste of what real work is and what it take to care for hundreds of hungry animals and not be able to eat himself till the end of the day after all the horses have been taken care of.

With a warden in charge. I would volenteer for that job..
default_yes.gif

I DON'T GET IT!!!! WHY? WHY? WHY?

OK - I've worked in a political office for over 40 years and held an elected office for 9 years. And beating our chests here on a Forum will do little good other than getting the word out.

Apparently part of the problem is a state law in WV that protects the "good old boys".

However, EVERYONE that lives anywhere in the state of West Virginia needs to contact their local county commissioners, their state representatives, the Governor and their Congressmen IMMEDIATELY as it sounds like they will be taking up this issue. These things do get changed if CONSTITUENTS raise a holy ruckus. Let them know that you - the voter - are watching them and will remember what action they did or did not take then next time they are up for election.

It might not happen in time for these unfortunate animals because changing laws takes time, but perhaps if the people of WV let the "powers that be" know they expect action, some will be taken and eventually the laws changed.

OK - I've worked in a political office for over 40 years and held an elected office for 9 years. And beating our chests here on a Forum will do little good other than getting the word out.
Apparently part of the problem is a state law in WV that protects the "good old boys".

However, EVERYONE that lives anywhere in the state of West Virginia needs to contact their local county commissioners, their state representatives, the Governor and their Congressmen IMMEDIATELY as it sounds like they will be taking up this issue. These things do get changed if CONSTITUENTS raise a holy ruckus. Let them know that you - the voter - are watching them and will remember what action they did or did not take then next time they are up for election.

It might not happen in time for these unfortunate animals because changing laws takes time, but perhaps if the people of WV let the "powers that be" know they expect action, some will be taken and eventually the laws changed
YES YES YES!!! I have one friend in WV and have already sent an email asking them to take some action. Let's make sure everyone we know in WV gets on this and helps get these horses in a better situation!

Suggestion - get on any social network you participate in and spread the word. Something like this should be viral by now and none of the usual places I see stuff like this has said anything yet. Start spreading the word!

Ive already posted it on my social networking page. Im wondering if its worth calling Pittsburgh news stations about. were not from wv so I cant call my officials. I was thinking if Pittsburgh news picked up on it, the added media coverage would help put some attention on the case, making it harder to "sweep under the rug".

Latest posts

Back