2023 crafting for all...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are so amazing. I do not consider myself crafty at all. I have many talents, but crafting is not one of them.
That being said, I was encouraged to register in a local parade this year. I've actually never done that. So we're taking Phillippe and Jasmine and my nieces and some extra kids and giving it a shot. We're promoting Phillippe and Jasmine with their therapy animal visits, so no riding. The kids have 2 buckets of 599 stickers in each to hand out (cause 2 stickers out of the 1200 were too awesome to give away...)
The theme of the parade is Rural Life. A zillion years ago, my mom made a pair of cardboard box horses for my sister and I to wear for a local parade in Saskatchewan for our day-camp float. Inspired by her brilliance (we LOVED those things!) I built cardboard box animals for the kids. The purple pony is for a birthday girl turning 8 that day. The pig is for my 9 year old niece who adores pigs. The paint is for my other niece who is 5 and wanted a black and white pony and the dinosaur is for the birthday girl's 3-year-old brother, who obviously loves dinos...
I feel like they fit the bill pretty well. Hopefully the kids love them. I think the total cost was less than $20 for paint, brushes and crafting supplies (minus the money I spent on Amazon to get the boxes...) and it took me maybe 4 hours to get them all completed. Just need some binder-twine suspenders and away we go!
What a super idea! On the watch for good boxes now...

You guys are so amazing. I do not consider myself crafty at all. I have many talents, but crafting is not one of them.
That being said, I was encouraged to register in a local parade this year. I've actually never done that. So we're taking Phillippe and Jasmine and my nieces and some extra kids and giving it a shot. We're promoting Phillippe and Jasmine with their therapy animal visits, so no riding. The kids have 2 buckets of 599 stickers in each to hand out (cause 2 stickers out of the 1200 were too awesome to give away...)
The theme of the parade is Rural Life. A zillion years ago, my mom made a pair of cardboard box horses for my sister and I to wear for a local parade in Saskatchewan for our day-camp float. Inspired by her brilliance (we LOVED those things!) I built cardboard box animals for the kids. The purple pony is for a birthday girl turning 8 that day. The pig is for my 9 year old niece who adores pigs. The paint is for my other niece who is 5 and wanted a black and white pony and the dinosaur is for the birthday girl's 3-year-old brother, who obviously loves dinos...
I feel like they fit the bill pretty well. Hopefully the kids love them. I think the total cost was less than $20 for paint, brushes and crafting supplies (minus the money I spent on Amazon to get the boxes...) and it took me maybe 4 hours to get them all completed. Just need some binder-twine suspenders and away we go!
How cute! Competition between Jasmine, Phillippe and your animal costumes as who is the cutes and biggest hit. It is a double win for you regardless ❣️ 😍 You know we will want to see pictures:)

Those are super cute and very clever! The kids must be very excited!

You definitely qualify as crafty! 😁

The stickers sound great and the crowd will never know two are missing! 😂

I have been having so much fun with the "slow stitching". I was reverting to my structured brain when someone suggested putting bits of fabric into a bag ad choosing a scrap randomly. The first piece I pulled out was the dotted navy. It said "moon" to me, so I ended up with "fish pond at night". I'm doing them all as greeting cards. The tomato pin cushion got too structured--I even made patterns!

Attachments

• fish pond.jpg
    fish pond.jpg
    795.9 KB · Views: 0
  • pin cushion.jpg
    pin cushion.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 0
I have been having so much fun with the "slow stitching". I was reverting to my structured brain when someone suggested putting bits of fabric into a bag ad choosing a scrap randomly. The first piece I pulled out was the dotted navy. It said "moon" to me, so I ended up with "fish pond at night". I'm doing them all as greeting cards. The tomato pin cushion got too structured--I even made patterns!
Both are great. I love the pin cushion, it had me thinking of my mom, she had one like that:)

Had a little time to sew, yesterday, and finished up two quilt tops. Hopefully, I'll be able to go to the quilt guild sewing day next week, and get them layered and ready for quilting.

Attachments

• 2023 - child's play kit - lay-out 1.jpg
    2023 - child's play kit - lay-out 1.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023 - sheep honor quilt - top complete.jpg
    2023 - sheep honor quilt - top complete.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
Your quilts are wonderful, chandab! I love the sheep! How big are they? The quilt guild sounds fun!

Good luck, Marsha! You create beautiful items and I can’t imagine you not getting ribbons! Were the cake and cookies also for the fair? What kind did you bake?

I am experimenting with flocking. This is a gourd button. The brown is flocking and the mane is painted. Hard to get small details, such as the nose and eye, with the flocking. It has to dry for 72 hours before I can brush it off good and seal it. I wanted to make a Dapper Dan button. I used ochre for the background color, but I'm not totally please with that. Would a cream background be better?
I think I will try a brown bunny with a white tail next. or white bunny with brown tail--those are the flocking colors I purchased!

Attachments

• flocked horse.jpg
    flocked horse.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 0
Back