2023 crafting for all...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to make a button of Dapper Dan. Out of all the years of photos at parades, schools, nursing homes, children riding--very few nice head views. But I did make a button. I had this applique picture I made several years ago, and I will attach the button to the picture. I thought you might also like to see the little "story" I had attached to the back of the picture.

Attachments

• applique Dapper Dan.jpg
    applique Dapper Dan.jpg
    932.5 KB · Views: 0
  • dapper dan button.jpg
    dapper dan button.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 0
Movement is right...you make it look exactly perfect, and set it up to dry. Then the paint does whatever it feels like and moves all over the place. 🤣 Sometimes for better, sometimes you go back later that night and wonder what happened to your painting.

I've had this little handmade table and chairs for 20 years. All my grandchildren have sat at it. I've been intending to paint it for a long time, but I really don't like painting, so I put it off. Well, chalk paint is really easy! I can hardly believe I haven't tried it sooner. It is so much easier than conventional paint. I used the Waverly brand, found at Walmart. Not a lot of color choices, but this color went well with our tile, so that was fine. I thought of painting the spindles on the chairs a different color. Maybe butter yellow or dusty turquoise... The basket has crayons, tablets, and playdoh. That weird old box that says "pound cake flavor" is a mystery.

Attachments

• little chairs.jpg
    little chairs.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
Darling and so inviting for children to sit down and play awhile.The ppeks we get of your house are always so attractive and creative.

The pound cake box is a fun piece! Do you suppose it held flavored pound cake(s) at one time in a general store? “Flavored” because butter was rationed or too expensive? It makes me think of items from the Depression Era or WWI/WWII.

You need to do a video tour of your house so we can admire everything! 😁

Darling and so inviting for children to sit down and play awhile.The ppeks we get of your house are always so attractive and creative.

The pound cake box is a fun piece! Do you suppose it held flavored pound cake(s) at one time in a general store? “Flavored” because butter was rationed or too expensive? It makes me think of items from the Depression Era or WWI/WWII.

You need to do a video tour of your house so we can admire everything! 😁
I never thought of WW II butter rationing for that pound cake flavor. That explains it, I think.
I got the table and chairs on eBay; they were made by a guy in South Dakota. It was so easy to buy things on eBay back then. They were varnished wood--not sure what kind. I did go over the chalk paint with 0000 steel wool and Watco medium walnut stain. It sort of warms up that stark chalk look.
I ordered some dusty turquoise -ish fabric from Etsy to make cushions, and then I saw this cute animal print at Hobby Lobby so used it instead.

Last edited:
I finished this little basic table runner last month. I have another but don't have a picture, yet, so will add it when I get the picture.

Attachments

• 2023 - red and white table runner - finished.jpg
    2023 - red and white table runner - finished.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 0
View attachment 50073
I don't really care to have my picture taken, but this was at quilt guild Monday night. This is the other table runner I made; it was a kit the local quilt shop had on special in May (it has a red and white backing).
That turned out to be stunning. You are photogenic also!

Latest posts

Back