100 Minis seized in Houston?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now on a personal note, not as a CMHR Board Member, this is my own opinion:

This was such a no brainer: If you don't have the money, stop breeding!
I agree completely! And I know this is an unpopular view and off-topic, but if your horses aren't winning at the National level in something (halter, driving, obstacle, anything) stop breeding. It is fine if you want to own pets, but don't breed them.
default_no.gif

I stopped breeding for that very reason. And I have to say it is wonderful to have everyone gelded out together. I have spent a lot of money on my stallions/now geldings and the majority of my breeding stock all had National top tens but honestly enjoy them more as geldings and they seem to enjoy themselves more now as well- any my mares well I think they are to nice to risk breeding. Our 4 time National champion mare had a dystocia.. At that moment I realized for me breeding is just not worth it. I will never breed her again I can not replace her but I can easily go out and by a new foal. And it will be the color- bloodlines and look that I want no guessing games :)

So many breeding that both the show and pet market are covered. Really hundreds of us could quit breeding and there would still be plenty of minis to go around

Last edited by a moderator:
I am afraid I agree with the "this woman should be prosecuted" people on this one.

This person did not decide she had too many horses and call in animal control, only to have them find the horses were really thin.

She was attempting to sell them to suckers for full price...I suppose she thought that people were trying to get her prized animals for less than they were worth because she could not feed them?

Just like that case the other year.

People get paranoid, and everyone seems to see their stock through rose coloured glasses.

People, get a grip.

Proven show stock is not selling, what makes you think yours are going to if all they have done is sit in a field?

I think we, all of us, need to take our heads out of the sand and accept that horses are not worth squat at the moment and are not going to be any time soon.

If you have got a fair price for your foals,this year, bully for you, it is not happening for many!

These horses did not get like this overnight, it takes quite some time for a horse in good condition to get as thin as these horses are, she stood and watched it happen.

Anyone want to bet me that sheis not underweight, herself?????

That is what I cannot understand, what I cannot comprehend, how someone can walk past their animals starving, every single day, and still feed their (often) fat faces!

Now, if they were all starving together, and she were just some nutty hoarder with not a piece of food in her house, I could feel for her, but she isn't.

This is despicable.

I have thirteen horses I need to sell, if I cannot find them the homes they deserve I shall start thinking about euthanasia.

No animal was ever hurt by dying in the arms of someone who loves them.

None of myhorses will ever starve!!!

It just reminds me of the 25+ minis a few years ago that we were involved with rescuing. He never got charged and I heard he is breeding again
no.gif
I would rather give mine away then allow them to get to this point. Again the animals suffer for profit.
sad.gif

Just wanted to add that I don't know who the owner is. There are several signs on the property and its no one listed as an AMHA or AMHR breeder.

I personally think these poor horses are in absolutely awful condition.... I can understand if people are having a difficult time. But they really need to realize when to say something.

However, I would guess it's probably no different than when we have an ill pet/animal that should probably be put down and we continue to hold out hope for a change in the circumstances. Ultimately, we all just need to recognize what's best for the animal and NOT wait until it's to late.

Thank goodness someone finally stepped up and acknowledged that something needed to be done if the owner couldn't see it..... but I do believe that they should have removed ALL the animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
It disgusts me to see the state those minis are in, how could she walk past them everyday and see them getting steadily worse. I think she should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. My heart breaks when I see the poor state all of those horses are in and the dogs too.

Yvonne

The pictures and video just makes me want to cry
default_no.gif
I wish I was closer so I could help more, will be sending halters and lead ropes

The Economy...yeah right...blame it on the ecomomy!! I blame it on this owner!! I too hope they prosecute big time!!

The economy is hurting everyone. I know myself, Im trying to find ways to save, cut back, find feed coupons, its hard.

But this is NEGLECT AND GREED!! So they didnt have any money, looks like they didnt have a brush or curry friggin comb either.Last I knew it doesnt cost anything to go out and groom your horses!! IMO you had better know how to trim your own horses feet before you think you can own 100 horses. Even at 10.00 a trim thats 500.00 every 8 weeks....I wont even get into worming or vaccs. Looks to me like they are not putting a single penny into any of these horses and their babies then they still sell ( or at least attempt to )sell them for 100's maybe more.....so yeah, I guess there is lots of money in breeding. Makes me want to vomit!!

Joanne, Im sorry to read about the troubles you have been having with your little new one...did it come from this farm? I hope she continues to improve...she lucky to have you.

I really have mixed feelings here, but there is NO WAY my horses would ever look like that- I would have called the SPCA myself to come get them or something. This is horrible and yes I see there are foals there so she was still breeding- however perhaps the horses didnt look like this in the spring of 09 when the foals were conceived? I hope not.

I am glad they are in better hands now to be taken care of, and hope they will make it ok. What I find sad is that the background shows green pastures... it is just weeds they wont eat or did they have to look at all the vegetation they couldnt have and slowly starve? SAD SITUATION!!!

And I figured when things blew over on that big rescue a few years ago that it would be back to the usual routine once the big hoohaw was over and the news crews left. I am assuming it was the big huge mess in the midwest that was refered to?

I understand the statements on the economy and people losing their jobs and can feel for that kind of situation. However in this particular situation, I think it is BS. Look at the pictures of the dogs, if you are out of work you certainly have enough time to at least groom your dogs. For goodness sakes, that doesn't cost money. You can use the excuse of lack of money or disability for alot of things, but for not taking a brush to groom a dog....I don't think so.

Donna

There is NO REASON in the world why these horses where not feed. Back in 2008 I had 4 Shetlands and 10 mini goats, I could not give them the care they needed because my husband was in the hospital for 4 weeks. Day one - oh no please don't die Day two - call family and friends....FREE HORSES AND GOATS by the end of the !st week ALL the livestock was gave to people with the time to care for them (all animals where feed by family till they where gone). Happily he is OK now.

Now on a personal note, not as a CMHR Board Member, this is my own opinion:

This was such a no brainer: If you don't have the money, stop breeding! I feel no compassion for that owner. This did not happen overnight. She saw this coming and could have dispersed her herd before it came to this but instead, she continued to breed. She should be charged on animal cruelty.
Right on target Marty! This type of thing makes me sick.
default_no.gif

Here is some more information....I guess they left 20 horses and 40 dogs with the owner when they took the others away yesterday. That means that the cycle is going to continue.

This link has another video and a bit more information. http://www.kbtx.com/...s/98918389.html

If you watch the link, you will see the name of the ranch and the owner on the entrance to their property.

If you watch the link, you will see the name of the ranch and the owner on the entrance to their property.
To not have adequate water, that changes the tune a bit on the story. It is tough times, but if there was not even water available to them, then this is moved into neglect. I am sorry to hear that.

The economy is hard right now, but no water??? That changes things.

Gosh how horrible. Anyone know who this person is?

So very, very sad. I wish I hadn't seen this...it is pictures like this that haunt me. I agree that these horses will take a lot of TLC and knowledge on care..throwing hay and water out may help some..but not all of them. Prayers going out to these lil horses and dogs.

why would anyone have 200 animals on 3 acres.....and no water? I'm sure she had plenty of water herself but couldn't be bothered to give the animals any. I have no idea why they didn't take all of them...makes me mad
default_torch.gif

The name that you see on the sign over the gate is not the owner. I did finally figure out who the owner was but I don't see the need to publically flog her online. I don't believe she's anyone who visits this forum or is a member of either association.

Latest posts

Back