100 Minis seized in Houston?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minie812

Reaction score
Saw it on FB that someone turned over 100 minis in very poor condition as well as 45 dogs? Anybody know what happen?
no.gif

Oh my gosh they are so so underweight wow.. Poor kids
default_sad.png

Times like this when I see minis or any animal in need that my heart breaks and I beg to be rich so I could take them all.

AMHA is working on seeing what they can do to help.

I might be missing something in the whole story, but I don't understand how the owner let them get so skinny before she finally did something. I realize she may become overwhelmed with feeding 105 minis in a poor economy, but really...is there nothing she could have done before her horses got to the point of starvation?

I appreciate that AMHA is trying to help- I am sure some on this board will know who this breeder is... I find it well ok here goes..disgusting that these horses were allowed to get into this condition yes the economy is bad and changing things for many people however that is no excuse. Place ads to give them away- lease them anything to get them the basic care. Looks like there are some young horses there so breeding was continuing

I am glad she didnt fight them and surrendered them once a investigation was started.. but that was due to a complaint it seems not help that was seeked out by the owner.

I realize I might sound harsh to some but one has to wonder what would the outcome be for some of those horses in such poor condition (and dogs) had no one taken the time and had the courage to actually file a complaint and get authorities out there in the first place.

Most people can't even give away animals let alone find homes for them. Sad but true. Then some people don't want to be seen as bad and do not ask for help, or maybe they asked for help from a local rescue and was turned down. Could be many reasons.

There are some groups helping the families of the Oil spill, keep their pets.

http://la-spca.org/Page.aspx?pid=509

http://www.aspca.org/blog/aspca-provides-critical-funding-for-pets-affected-by-oil-spill.html

Maybe something like this should be set up for horse people on unemployment and looking for a job, but can't find a way to fed their horses?

Last edited by a moderator:
We received a miniature horse from Texas on June 21st that had a body score of 2. We are still struggling to keep her alive. Some of you may be following our thread on our Mare Stare message board.

You would think you could just add water and food and they would come back to life, but after $1500.00 and climbing in vet bills and special feeds and medicine, I can tell you it is not that easy after that much abuse.

We paid full price for the horse and had received photos of her when she was not in that condition. She is an AMHA National Champion horse, as were many others at that ranch. In all my years buying horses this time was the first time I was lied to and scammed. Despite this mares poor condition this breeder is asking full price on her horses and falsifying photos.

It will be a long road ahead for both of us. So far she is willing to live and we are doing everything to keep her alive. But I can tell you that it is MUCH harder to get a thin horse in shape than it is to slim down a fat horse.

These horses are in great need of TLC after many months of neglect that got them into that horrendous condition. But it will be many, many months before they will be back to normal, IF they make it.

I spoke with the veterinarian that did the veterinarian health check for Rosie yesterday. He said he sees horses like her all the time in Texas. He said "She would have NEVER passed" a prepurchase exam, but he hoped she would go to a better home. After a month of intensive care I still can only give her a 50/50 chance. In California I do not know of any of the veterinarians that would have cleared Rosie for a journey of 2000 miles in that condition.

I have bought from Texas breeders before and the horses from other facilities were wonderful. I know this problem is not limited to just Texas.

The way they are blaming this situation "on the harder times", ticks me off. We are ALL having a harder time but we are not all allowing our animals to suffer and starve.

'Tis plain and simple. This is hoarding and neglect...nothing less. Oh, and for "voluntarily" handing the animals over...it was only AFTER the Sheriff's office received a complaint...so she only handed them over, I bet...in a bid to stave-off any charges.

I hope she is charged to the fullest extent of the law, and that there really IS a special heck for people like her. Words cannot express the disgust I feel for people like this.

Watching the United States the past 24 months, being out of work for 18 of those months myself and having the stock that I have. Yes this is horrifying and I feel for the people who had to surrender their animals.

We only have the news article to go by, and that looks bad. No denying that.

My comments are observations - the south is now seeing the recession in its full force. Many of my friends who were fine while I was laid off, are now concerned about loosing their jobs, have lost their jobs or having their hours cut, and I have work.

I think we just need to take a breath, each of us, take stock of what we have going on, help where we can, and pray that those farms who are surrendering, giving away, or putting down animals have the strength to keep moving forward.

May we think about our own farms and their futures - do we really need to breed as many as we do right now - can our farms cut down breeding for a year or two, can our farms let breeding go for a year or two in light of the economy? Can my farm absorb another mouth or two to help another farm out if they run into financial problems? (Yes I did that for a year, while I was out of work, my farm hosted a couple mouths).

This is the United States - we have become so individualized and forget what we used to be. We used to know our neighbors, we used to help each other out. Maybe we should think about that again? If that doesn't turn your light bright, try to give a little to a rescue. Shoot we have our own very active CMHR that has quite a few in rescue homes yet.

I agree, this poor farm let things go to far, but it doesn't take much in today's climate to loose everything and not be able to provide for the extra mouths we chose to own.

Peace everyone, I hope this makes us all think a bit. And if you want to flame me, go ahead, I still believe in the small equine world and that we will get through this National and International economic turbulen time-- its just going to take a lot longer than we as a nation and as individuals think. And heaven forbid any of us find ourselves in this situation.

I might be missing something in the whole story, but I don't understand how the owner let them get so skinny before she finally did something. I realize she may become overwhelmed with feeding 105 minis in a poor economy, but really...is there nothing she could have done before her horses got to the point of starvation?

Im with you. They could have at least sold the horses very cheap, instead of letting them starve and be in such poor condition. How awful.

I am with Muffntuff

We need to sit back and take stock of our economy today. Slow down the breeding, I myself will not be breeding again. I am going to have my stallion gelded when it is cooler here. Then I will teach him to drive, he will be a useful as a gelding on our little farm.

I am so sad when I watch that vid clip. Those poor horses
sad.gif

I agree with Muffntuff and Canada has similar issues.

The miniature market is very depressed right now and I think we are a long way from seeing a "turnaround".

This farm is actually just down the road from me. Its difficult to see any horses, or at least their condition, due to the fence and weeds along the front of the property. She was having the local feed store sell some (out in a pen at the feed store)for what I believe was due to an unpaid feed bill. The horses at the feed store looked no better and I did mention that they needed to get weight on them and deworm the minis. I did ask one day about a price on one of them (with no intention to buy just curious) the price was in lines for a show horse. Not for dispersal. I'm glad something has finally been done but I wish they would have taken them all.

Anyone know if there's a possibility to get any papers on them?

For those calling and emailing CMHR about this case:

As per Connie Parr CMHR President:

The SPCA knows about CMHR and our work.

We are aware of this situation and have offered our assistance to them for these horses should they need to call upon us our barn doors are wide open.

Adding: CMHR always needs foster homes throughout the United States everywhere to be able to continue our work. If anyone has an empty stall or paddock or place to help just one more, please go to our website at www.chancesminihorserescue.org

and fill out the appropriate paperwork. Thanks All.

Now on a personal note, not as a CMHR Board Member, this is my own opinion:

This was such a no brainer: If you don't have the money, stop breeding! I feel no compassion for that owner. This did not happen overnight. She saw this coming and could have dispersed her herd before it came to this but instead, she continued to breed. She should be charged on animal cruelty.

I get completely disgusted every time someone at my work comes in telling me how they are breeding horses and dogs knowing they cannot feed themselves. Why they have to drag innocent animals into their messy lives is beyond me. They all seem to think by putting any two ends together that fit, is a ways and means of making money so they don't have to go find a job. They think they are doing good if they get ten bucks for a puppy and a hundred for a horse. They don't consider vets or farrier, feed and hay or dumping any money into their big idea because they don't use vets or farriers or feed them other than their pasture of trash and garbage. Got a sick horse or dog, you just go outside with the shotgun and fix it. I have no idea how this cycle can ever end and its heartbreaking.I have put my business in jeopardy more than once attempting to have a rational conversation about breeding haphazardly and only lost customers and sales over it. So be it. I might go down broke but I know I went down trying to change at least one person's mind.

Im with you. They could have at least sold the horses very cheap, instead of letting them starve and be in such poor condition. How awful.
If I couldn't look after them, after at least having TRIED giving them away...I would go out with a gun myself, and shoot every one of them before I could allow this to happen to them. And don't tell me she could afford to at least geld the stallions, or at the very least..separate them from the mares. There are foals there...yup...must keep breeding these poor starving, long-suffering creatures.

NO excuse works for this...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back