Youth class cut off ages

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryann

Reaction score
I have one 12 year old that turns 13 in Sept. 2010 and one that just turned 13 in Jan.

I understand The AMHA rule that states they will show in 12 and under as they were

not 13 on Jan 1st.

However I have read the AMHR rule several times and the way it is worded I am having

trouble understanding it.

So Tell me which class division would they be in AMHR? I have the 2008 rule book and its on page 38 under General Rules.

Thanks for you help. Sorry to be so Dense !!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Mary

I have one 12 year old that turns 13 in Sept. 2010 and one that just turned 13 in Jan. I understand The AMHA rule that states they will show in 12 and under as they were

not 13 on Jan 1st.

However I have read the AMHR rule several times and the way it is worded I am having

trouble understanding it.

So Tell me which class division would they be in AMHR? I have the 2008 rule book and its on page 38 under General Rules.

Thanks for you help. Sorry to be so Dense !!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Mary
It appears they are taking the age of the youth as of Dec 1 of the prior year. Gee, if that's the case then even tho I'll be 65 before Nationals, I won't be old enough for those "over 65" classes - dang!

So the way I read it both of your daughters would still be under 13 for this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct - youth show in the age category that they attain by December 31st. So, based on what you have said, I would agree that both girls would be in the 8-12 y/o age group for the 2010 show season.

Thank you both!! Thats what I needed. I love this board. Someone is always eager to Help. !! Mary

Good Morning,

Please see page 242 of the ASPC/AMHR Rulebook in the AMHR section......

E: YOUTH: an individual who HAS NOT attained eighteen (18) as of DECEMBER 1st of the CURRENT competition year.

Ok what this means.....December 1st, 2009 how old was your child on that day? If your child was 7 years old on December 1, 2009 then on December 2nd that child turned 8 years old, that child would show in the 7 & Under class for all of 2010. If that child was 12 years old on December 1st and then turned 13 on December the 2nd, then all of 2010 that child would show in the 8-12 division or 12 & Under. If that child was 17 on December 1st and turned 18 on December 2nd, then that child would show all of 2010 in the 13-17 or 17 & Under. Then on December 1st 2010 when that child was 18 (remeber they turned 18 back on December 2nd 2009), then they are no longer in the youth division.

It's what was the age of the child on December 1st of the current show season. We are in the current 2010 show season. Since the cut off for all of the awards is December 1st that is where the age cut off comes in. Now you also have to remember, there are still shows AFTER the AMHR Nationals. Example: October here in Area V we have the Halloween Spooktacular Show and the Lone Star Pony Club host an AMHR Performance Show with a full slate of classes for the Shetland Show. They then host a show in November. ALL shows held after the AMHR Nationals count for the next show season, but those kids will still show in the division that they have all year because DECEMBER 1st hasn't arrived yet.

Hope this helps.

Karen

Thanks Karen,

That explanation makes it much more clear. I just wanted to be sure I had them in the correct class. I appreciate you breaking it down for me. mary

Thanks Karen,That explanation makes it much more clear. I just wanted to be sure I had them in the correct class. I appreciate you breaking it down for me. mary
Ok so I'm really confused now. My daughter turned 14 on Dec 22, 2009. She had been showing as a 13 yr old all last summer. I assumed the cut off date was Dec 31 or Jan 1, and in that case she hadn't turned 14 yet. Since I screwed it up last show season, what should she enter this year? Thirteen again, which would be correct, or 14? Im really confused now. In 4-H the cut off is the age she is on Jan 1st

Thanks everyone

Becky

Last edited by a moderator:
Becky,

On December the 1st of 2009 your daughter was still 13 years old (turned 13 on December 22, 2008). She will continue to show in the 13-17 division even though she turned 14 on December 22, 2009.

On December 1st 2013 your dauther is still 17 years old. She will still show in the 13-17 division one more year even though she turned 18 on December 22, 2013.

Your daughter is one of the lucky kids that get to show one more year for those whose birthday falls just right after the December 1st cutoff. My daughters birthday is November 4th so didn't get the luxery of showing an extra year when she was in the youth division.

Hope this helps.

Karen

Latest posts

Back