Your Must haves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raine Ranch Minis

Reaction score
I want to know all your must haves for your place. ex: In your barn, fence, ect. We have 65 acres, and I am trying to plan it out. Fencing, Cross fencing, barn, ECT. And the + s and - s of them.

Would love some Ideas!!!
default_yes.gif
:yes

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had the chance to lay everything out again I would do a few things differently. I would have an aisleway between all pastures where horses could be led, a tractor could be driven, etc. Our barn would have a concrete walkway that is wide enough to accommodate a tractor with a small bucket and the fronts of the stalls would open up so that a stall could be completely cleaned out with the bucket. I would have cameras mounted so that every pasture could be viewed via webcam while I am at work as well as stalls in the barn. Likewise, I would have a camera at our driveway and a speaker so that I could see and hear people at the front gate from the house and the barn. I would have a washer and dryer in the barn and a covered arena attached to the main barn. I would also have a covered walkway from the house to the barn. Just a few of the items on my fantasy farm. Ruth

When we moved here, I had a list, barn, fencing, shelters, etc., then we started fencing (63 acres) as the bill escalated, the barn shrunk and burst like a bubble. So we've lived without. Fortunately, we're in Northern CA and have a fairly mild climate. We have enough places to tuck horses away if need be, but not a true 'barn'. Now I'd actually prefer a covered arena over a barn. But no extra $$ sadly.

Plan your fence lines for ease of feeding/location of water. If I had to do-over, I would run electric piping with water pipes, even if you add it later at least it's there. Lights out in the pasture would be awesome. Water turn offs at each access point too. Gates wide enough for vehicles/tractors to get through, and walk through gates for you. Hot wire to keep them OFF permanent fencing. The fencing will last longer.

Have to have's

- a trailer for emergencies. We have a 2 horse (holds 4 minis), and our van (holds 1-4 depending on size.

- really good feeding cart. Hauling around a few bales of hay a day and salt blocks (200 lbs moved today), a great cart is worth it. E-Z Haul Carts ours is 10 years old, we changed to solid rubber wheels and it's a work horse.

- automatic waterers or timers for horses out on pasture. I like to hand fill buckets for any that are confined (ie sick) to see how much they're drinking, but auto-water is wonderful

- gates you can open with open/close with one hand

- easy access hay storage for deliveries/feeding

- separate paddock/stall for quarantine and vet visits

You'll never have enough small/medium size pens. So if you plan on having 10 horses have 12+ pens! Different size ones too. One that's complete rubber matted (sick horses or colicy) on up.

I would also have a driveable alley between each pasture area, plus lots of gates. One of the best things I did at our old place when we were building fence was design two gates across the drive way from eachother that opened in opposite directions. It created a "chute" for moving groups of horses through and if I had alley ways between pastures I would design something similar. The gate was a 12 footer so that a small tractor or a pickup could drive through it.

I miss having hot water in our barn. We had a concrete slab with a drain and with the hot water we were able to bathe horses in the barn. Aisles in our previous barn were each 12 feet wide which allowed a pickup to drive in.

Almost every gate we have, even at this place is at least 12 feet, to allow a vehicle to pass through.

When we moved here, I had a list, barn, fencing, shelters, etc., then we started fencing (63 acres) as the bill escalated, the barn shrunk and burst like a bubble. So we've lived without. Fortunately, we're in Northern CA and have a fairly mild climate. We have enough places to tuck horses away if need be, but not a true 'barn'. Now I'd actually prefer a covered arena over a barn. But no extra $$ sadly.

Plan your fence lines for ease of feeding/location of water. If I had to do-over, I would run electric piping with water pipes, even if you add it later at least it's there. Lights out in the pasture would be awesome. Water turn offs at each access point too. Gates wide enough for vehicles/tractors to get through, and walk through gates for you. Hot wire to keep them OFF permanent fencing. The fencing will last longer.

Have to have's

- a trailer for emergencies. We have a 2 horse (holds 4 minis), and our van (holds 1-4 depending on size.

- really good feeding cart. Hauling around a few bales of hay a day and salt blocks (200 lbs moved today), a great cart is worth it. E-Z Haul Carts ours is 10 years old, we changed to solid rubber wheels and it's a work horse.

- automatic waterers or timers for horses out on pasture. I like to hand fill buckets for any that are confined (ie sick) to see how much they're drinking, but auto-water is wonderful

- gates you can open with open/close with one hand

- easy access hay storage for deliveries/feeding

- separate paddock/stall for quarantine and vet visits

You'll never have enough small/medium size pens. So if you plan on having 10 horses have 12+ pens! Different size ones too. One that's complete rubber matted (sick horses or colicy) on up.
Oh I know what you mean! My "fantasy farm" has about 1.5 TO 2 MILLION DOLLAR BARN!!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked
default_new_shocked.gif
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

AND ALOT OF PENS AND PASTURES!!!!!

default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked
default_new_shocked.gif

YES with just six , I only have 4 pens and it can be a PAIN sometimes!!!

THings we have that I wouldn't be without

+hot water in the barn

+washing machine in the garage for blankets and towels

+outside wash rack for summer and anivac washing system for winter

wish I had:

Covered arena for long winters so horses can get properly exercised

a more modern barn (ours is an old bank barn which is draughty and hay mow is huge)

Dutch doors from each stall to an outside personal paddock for each horse

Separate foaling barn

Our Musts:

- Barn with running water and electricity

- Each horse has their own stall

- Paddocks and fields (We have 5 - 7 here) One thing that I like is that ALL of out fields are connected to each other through gates and one field connects to the back of the barn. Helpful if a horse gets loose, or is hard to catch. Rare, but useful none the less. I call it our "court-yard" and it is perfect for bringing in the minis as a group.

- Working sand ring for driving/riding

- Indoor arena (Been lucky enough to always have one)

- HEATED wash rack
default_wub.png

- Trailer

- Gate at end of driveway to close when horses get loose

Luxury:

- Heated tack room, barn

- Barn close to house

Wish List:

- Round pen

- Hot walker would be nice for days with minimal time to work the horses

- Bigger/second barn (More stalls!)

- Storage for extra hay and shavings

- Storage for carts and show equipment

- More fields

I want to know all your must haves for your place. ex: In your barn, fence, ect. We have 65 acres, and I am trying to plan it out. Fencing, Cross fencing, barn, ECT. And the + s and - s of them.

Would love some Ideas!!!
default_yes.gif
:yes
I love our barn! We built it about 7 years ago just for the minis, although we did put in two 10 x 12 stalls for the big horses.

mini_stalls.jpg

I guess the only thing I'd do differently would be to have built the barn in a climate other than the one we have here in Wisconsin!!! And my barn is way too far from my house. I can just see the barn from up on the hill where we live, but can't ever see the horses. I would SO love to be able to look out my living room window and see them! But we had built our house up on a steep hillside, and there simply was not a single place up here to put the barn and have access to pastures. We're all wooded.

My pastures are laid out fine. Each separate one has a gate that opens into a lane leading right into the dry lots and then the dry lots open to the barn.

Latest posts

Back