Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some days are a step forward and backward at the same time and today was one of them. I took Peanut out for what I thought would be 20 minutes of ground driving. He was just 100% naughty in every way he can be. He came out of the barn spooking, bolting, bucking, whirling, the works. It was a rodeo. He bit me. You name it, he did it. I finally got him settled and working ok, but I still was not happy with him and I will admit to being frustrated and that was my big mistake and that is the key to Peanut. You can never become frustrated with him as he can sense it (even if you don't outwardly show it) and he gets wound up. I ended on a good note and put him up, but I was still just feeling like although we ended the session OK, he got away with alot. So after talking with my husband we thought we would take him out for a short spin it the cart when he got home from work.

I knew it would be dark out, but Northwolf's post about night driving encouraged me to forge ahead (thank you Northwolf). I turned on my outside light, harnessed him and put him to the cart and had a WONDERFUL drive. He was awesome. I had never driven at night and my paddock is near the road so I thought the headlights might bother him but he was great. And the best thing was two firetrucks went by with all their lights ablaze and he didn't miss a beat.

Then he stood rock solid to be unhitched. Like a statue. And he got a lot of love and praise for THAT!

So that is the good and the bad of Peanuts "Drive Day". I learned that I need to be constantly "neutral" when working with him as he picks up the slightest changes (he is the one who instantly knows when my arthritis is kicking up too, and works it to his advantage, lol). He is a good teacher.

My problem is after my last two failures, I am way down in confidence. I keep asking myself if it was all my fault. If so, will I fail with Buckly also? Just something I will have to work through. Buckly seems so calm, I am hoping he will take care of me.

I don't think it was your fault, some horses just are not meant to be driving partners and sometimes the reason is only known to them. Unfortunately you ended up with two in a row. I have one that I can't drive. I tried several times and he said "no" and meant it. I don't know why he doesn't like it, but he has made his opinion known. He will pull a sled, but not anything with shafts.

From what you have written about him, Buckly sounds like he wants to please you and sounds very level headed. He passed the "cow test" :) and I know I could not pony either one of my bozos behind a cart and have them behave nicey like Buckly does.

How is the ground driving going?

I took Peanut out for 10 minutes today and he was a gentleman. I felt badly about our mutual frustration with each other yesterday and I really hoped for a quick, quiet ground lesson that I could end with an abundance of praise and he delivered.

I agree that some just don't want to do it. The only failure would be not listening to your gut and forcing yourself and a horse to be unhappy together. I think Buckley sounds like a good guy. You take so much time and care with teaching your new ones. I think he might be the one you've been looking for.

Well, I drove Clem today. She's not been happy lately I could tell by her attitude. My son tried to move her over and she bit his shirt. In the 7 years I've owned her she's never done anything even close to that. Especially not to him. She's been being housed with Pistol and is a total beast towards him. She's also been put on the hot-walker several days a week and I'm pretty sure she hates it (I would). So I've put her back with Major and asked that she not be put on the hot-walker more than once a week for 10 min or so.

I hitched her to the wagonette for the first time. We (husband, son, parents) hitched up 4 horses to 4 vehicles and went for a family drive. Clementine wanted to keep up with the foxtrotter and did not want to stay in a walk. She fought me the entire way. So on our way back I took a turn and trotted her for and extra 6 blocks. Well she's haired up and it's warm down south. Also, the wagonette is heavier than she's used to pulling. By the end of 6 blocks there was less pep in her step and she was happy to walk.

By the time we got back she was wore out. I've never seen her so tired. I also noticed that she's thinner than I like (that winter hair has been fooling the folks down here feeding her) so she's getting some rice-bran until she fills out a little. I took her for a short walk to cool down, let her roll in the arena, gave her some grain, and put her back with her buddy for the night. Hopefully it helps to improve her mood.

Candace got out as well driven by my son with my mother as his groom. Candace is still the Wonder Pony. They had a lovely Thanksgiving drive with her. She's so mild mannered and willing. My son is so in love with her!

Could CLem be reacting hormonally to Pistol? I know he is gelded but maybe he has some residual testosterone floating around that she is picking up on?

You are a good horse Momma to pick up on something being not quite right with her!

Could she be a little sore from the hotwalker? Hopefully it is just the change from the move that she needs to get used to.

Glad Candace is doing well!

Has Pistol worn his harness yet?

Could CLem be reacting hormonally to Pistol? I know he is gelded but maybe he has some residual testosterone floating around that she is picking up on?

You are a good horse Momma to pick up on something being not quite right with her!

Could she be a little sore from the hotwalker? Hopefully it is just the change from the move that she needs to get used to.

Glad Candace is doing well!

Has Pistol worn his harness yet?
So I found out a couple of things:

#1 When we had a friend feed for a few days she "kinda forgot" and Clementine (along with the other horses) didn't get fed for almost 48 hours. These horses get fed twice a day, every day. Dad said she was never aggressive with Pistol at feed time until he came home after that friend had fed. We just found out about her forgetting to feed (Yes, I text her a reminder so I don't know what happened).

#2 Clementine is underweight...quite a bit underweight. With her winter woolies and all the hot walker walking (which I have put a stop to) she has dropped weight and no one really noticed. When her hair was matted down with sweat after driving I couldn't believe how she looked.

So... I think starving her for 48 hours plus being in with a horse she'd only known a week started the aggression. She bit me hard on the shoulder last night when I went to brush her while she was eating. She's NEVER acted aggressive toward people until yesterday. Big red flag.

I have moved her back with her buddy Major and put them in the bigger stall. There is an empty stall between Clem and Major and any other horses so she doesn't feel she has to defend her food. I also went back to the hay net and basically stuffing it full twice a day. She's also getting a little rice bran grain. I'm also ordering her a smartpak with the MareHarmony and some Cocoasoya to help her mood and weight. I am hoping that being back with Major in a non threatening environment and getting her weight back up will bring her back to the sweetheart I know. In the meantime, I've asked the kids to stay out of her stall and away from her so we don't have an accident.

Pistol is slated to put his harness on tomorrow. I can't believe what a little gentleman he is turning out to be. He follows you around and doesn't flinch when you reach out to him or touch him all over. I have big hopes for this guy.

Happy Thanksgiving all! I'm Thankful to be in a position to own horses big and small.

MajorClem, this is just a thought but you don't suppose she is ulcery from missing the meals? She has had a lot of changes and that might've been the tipping point. What made me think this is the biting, when Peanut had his "stomach complaint" he was horribly mouthy. He is mouthy anyway, but he was aggressive and rude when his stomach wasn't quite right. I put him on a digestive supp and it made a huge difference. I did a couple of weeks of gastrogard, but the supplement seemed to help more.

Hope she feels better soon!

Oh, good luck with Pistol tomorrow. I'd love to see!a picture of him :)

MajorClem, this is just a thought but you don't suppose she is ulcery from missing the meals? She has had a lot of changes and that might've been the tipping point. What made me think this is the biting, when Peanut had his "stomach complaint" he was horribly mouthy. He is mouthy anyway, but he was aggressive and rude when his stomach wasn't quite right. I put him on a digestive supp and it made a huge difference. I did a couple of weeks of gastrogard, but the supplement seemed to help more.

Hope she feels better soon!

Oh, good luck with Pistol tomorrow. I'd love to see!a picture of him :)
I think you make a good point. I will add a digestive supplement to her smart pak.

I have to say she seemed to be much more calm this evening. She's been back with her buddy and a stall away from any other horses for 24 hours. She showed zero food aggression tonight so I am hopeful that we can get things sorted out and get her back to her normal self.

Driving fun with Candace and Pistol tomorrow. Pics for sure!

Sounds like she is on the mend :). When we got Peanut, he was so used to fighting for his share of hay that he would paw it into a pile and pee on it as soon as I threw him his portion. I guess it was the poor little devils only form of defense against the marauders he was turned out with.

Hope you had a fun day with the gang!

Today was a productive day but ended in very little actual driving time for me. When we got down to the barn my son went and got Candace and I helped him hitch up to drive. Then a good friend of the family brought his little pinto mini, Smokey, for two reasons. #1 to hitch him and Candace as a team and #2 to swap harnesses. Our harnesses got swapped at the manufacturer and I noticed when I helped him fit Smokey's harness. He piggybacked on my order so his harness matched mine specifically so we could drive Candace and Smokey as a team. The harness maker must have swapped our measurements. Candace's harness was quite small on her and Smokey's drown him. Simple swap and everyone is happy.

So we swapped harnesses and my son drove a little more while they tacked up Smokey and swapped out his shaft loops for quarter straps. Then switching Candace's harness and hitching them up as a team. Coolest thing ever. As much fun as they are single, double the fun as a team! My dad and this friend were teamsters taking tourists on wagon rides with draft teams for almost two years. So to see these two senior men being pulled by this tiny team was quite enjoyable. They sent pictures to all of their teamster friends. On their drive a lady stopped them and seriously offered to buy the team for her daughter!

20171125_151408.jpg

20171125_151419.jpg

Smokey is on the left (with his nose cut off in this photo) Candace on the right.

I drove for a total of 10 min. The guys were having too much fun!

Mom and I got our riding horses out and did some arena work. When we were done we saddle one of the Fjords for my son to ride. It was a day full of horse for all!

Didn't get Pistol in harness due to Jim showing up with Smokey...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh they are amazingly cute! Aren't they matched nicely! I can see why someone offered to buy them and why the guys did not want to give up the lines. Id love to see a picture of the guys with them, it would inspire my husband, I think. Men and minis make me smile. It's usually all bluster about how tiny the minis are and how they need "real horses" but they usually warm up to them pretty darn quick :)

Did you drive the fjords as a team? You look very comfortable driving two.

Gosh they are amazingly cute! Aren't they matched nicely! I can see why someone offered to buy them and why the guys did not want to give up the lines. Id love to see a picture of the guys with them, it would inspire my husband, I think. Men and minis make me smile. It's usually all bluster about how tiny the minis are and how they need "real horses" but they usually warm up to them pretty darn quick :)

Did you drive the fjords as a team? You look very comfortable driving two.
I have driven the Fjord team but we have one of our team down with bone spurs. We're hoping he'll recover.... it's a waiting game now.

I'll have them send me a pic of the men driving
default_smile.png

Wow, looks great, MC! :D I'm looking forward to see Candace and Clementine as a team ;) I think Clementine will cool down and get normal in short time. My horses always were "not themselves" for weeks after a move to another barn. Even my old gelding, he moved at the age of 28 to our new home and he needed 3 months to calm down. I think, the older they are, the more time they need to settle down.

Glad to see you're all busy with your horses! I'm busy with my horses too, but we had a really stormy, rainy weekend. Friday was still dry, I made a night drive again. I gave a trial to a kind of thee-horses carriage when I drove my team with Moony came along with us on the right side of the team horses with long reins. It was fun! :D Very looking forward hitch him in the team. Saturday we had a thunderstorm and it was raining all day long. But on sunday it cleared up a bit and I hitch the team without Moony. It was a real mud-drive! At the end, we were all muddy, but happy
default_smile.png

During the week, when I'm back from work, I usually go for a walk with the boys or take them with me go running. We all wear reflectors and lights to be seen in the dark. Just bought three lighting neckbands for the horses. Now, we are feeling like walking christmas trees
default_thumbup.gif

Planning to do a parade this weekend. Got my sleigh bells polished up today and the cart decorated. Zipped the Santa hat to his bridle. Cleaning up the yak will be a challenge. I think I'll use the air compressor.

Some good news about Buckly: the trimmer was here on Friday. He commented that Buckly is wearing all hooves evenly. I think this means his body is balanced. He showed me the correct way to fasten the rope halter. Later, my sister told me that he really likes Buckly (he didn't tell me that).

Do you blow them clean with the compressor? I have two that will stand for stuff like that and it sure makes live easier. Peanut, on the other hand is horrified by it. Whenever I have the vac out for the others I take him out and give it a try. He is getting a bit less wild eyed with it. I don't push it, he will either come around or not and there is always the brush!

When is the parade? I hope you get some pictures so we can see DD all decked out in his Christmas finery.

Was Buckly well behaved for his trim? It is nice that the trimmer liked him ☺

I have been getting Peanut out more. My husband drove him the other day and had so much fun that he did not want to hand him over to me! Wish I could get him a bigger pony of his own to drive, but the "inn" is full.

Yes, I blow them with the compressor. I can vacuum in the summer, but with the yak fur, the compressor works better. I'll introduce Buckly to it also. He behaves very well for the trimmer. Buckly is somewhat reserved; I am not meddling with this as I have had my fill of spoiled brats. Hard to take photos of a night parade, but hopefully my husband will try to get some. My sister is taking her new miniature girl, Jackie O, also.

My inn is full also.

We are supposed to get snow tonight so maybe I can use the otter sled tomorrow. Proabaly with Peanut the first time out. Maybe I will just have him pull the manure tubs to the pile so he can adjust to the change and I can ground drive him. You can't spring anything new onto Peanut, he has to be eased into change!

I am another year older so getting down onto the otter sled and back out again ought to be a trick,lol. Just had my shoulder injected yesterday, so maybe that will make a new woman outta me. I think I will have to put a half bale of hay onto it and sit on that.

Have a nice time at the parade, Marsha! Wish I was there to see you and DD.

Latest posts

Back