Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally a beautiful fall day here! It was sunny and 60*F without even a breeze. I finished up my grooming day early and couldn't resist taking Clementine out. I knew it was the only chance I'd get this week since I'm leaving Thursday afternoon to go to the Troyer Auction in Colorado.

We went 4.08 miles in 50 min. The first two miles we did in a 8.5mph trot and it was wonderful. We took a few roads we've never taken before and one road we will never take again on a weekday afternoon. It was dump truck after dump truck and not much shoulder. Clementine was steady as ever (and they were LOUD trucks) but it made me uncomfortable. I do carry a halter and rope in my "trunk" so I at least knew that if she got nervous I could walk her to a quieter road. I've also decided that I'd better get myself a helmet. My little town is growing and growing and there is soooo much traffic now. Better safe than sorry.

We also had several dogs chase us. Clem usually gives one lurch forward when they start but comes under control in the next step. I got my whip out and gave a couple dogs a nasty swat on the nose. One of them was a sheepdog bigger than Clementine. One solid whack with the whip and he decided we were no fun to chase.

I know all my driving pics look the same but here we are...oh and with our new Comfy Fit harness and "bun bag" (diaper or poop bag sounds so sad). Worked like a charm. Now I can drive in the fancy neighborhoods without worry of the homeowners hating me for leaving gifts in the road.

20171003_145720.jpg

"Bun bag" gave me a chuckle. Glad you got out and about on a nice day. You must have a good aim to be able to drive and swat dogs simultaneously. I'd be all afloat, I can't multi-task at all, coordination is shot to heck. Darn dogs, they can be their own worst enemy sometimes when the urge to chase comes over them. We have a leash law here so we almost never see a dog running loose. When I was a kid though, it was different and I remember being afraid to ride by certain houses because of the dogs that lived there.

The helmet is a good idea.

Hope you have another good drive day soon!

Eeeegh, I've never had to actually swat a dog, and I hope I don't have to (but I will if I must!) I get LOTS of dogs chasing me when I'm out driving. Many of them just stay in their yard and bark at me. The rest that come out into the road after me I point my whip at them and put on my growliest, meanest voice and give them a firm, scary "NO". So far they've all stopped and looked at me a bit befuddled. I've had a few yelp and run home with their tails between their legs like I had swatted them lol!

The best one I had though was on maybe my third or fourth drive. I drove past a house and a Blue Heeler came out to follow us. He didn't bark or do anything, but I could see he was eyeing May's heels (like they do ha). He followed us for about two houses, and I was just about ready to swat him when I heard a very, very loud "GET BACK HERE YOU A-- HOLE!" Dog shriveled up and sauntered back home. He knew he was in trouble haha and I couldn't stop laughing.

Love the Bun Bag haha. And Candace looks awesome! What a cute little girl, I hope she works out.

And Cayuse, that picture of Cappy should be framed! Looks fantastic!

It showered off and on here all day and it is!supposed to continue like that all weekend, so probably no driving here either. I did have a short drive with Cappy the other night and he keeps improving in the straightness department. He even was able to bend a little bit once or twice when I asked. I'm still keep his lessons short.

Any news on Bubba? October is here!

Ground drove both yesterday, what wild, uneducated beasts they were! We had both out at the same time in harness, hubby walked one around while I worked the other. You would think that they never saw each other before. Oh the drama!

Both of these silly animals have seen other driving horses before at shows so I don't know why the rodeo commenced. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
It showered off and on here all day and it is!supposed to continue like that all weekend, so probably no driving here either. I did have a short drive with Cappy the other night and he keeps improving in the straightness department. He even was able to bend a little bit once or twice when I asked. I'm still keep his lessons short.

They said mid October. I will give them a couple of weeks before contacting. They probably have in mind for me to board him all winter, but that's okay. If I get him trained to drive and they decide not to sell, I am wondering if I should do some kind of contract? Am I being too suspicious?

I don't think you are being suspicious at all. Something is writing is always a good idea. What if you turn him into a super driving mini and they sold him out from under you? That happened to me when I was a kid, the neighbors were horse dealers and would get in cheap horses, I would ride them and clean them up and then they would get sold for more than I could afford. I got a lot of experience working with horses that way and at least I got to ride, but I never got my dream horse. From them anyway.

I agree that a simple contract is in order. Maybe stating that you are giving him a 60 day trial and any training done in that time period is just you testing him out and all his feed and whatnot are your expense. After that 60 days you can decide to purchase or not (and they can decide to sell or not). That way they can't expect you to keep him all winter but you should have a good idea if you want to continue with him or not. It will cover both of you that way and you'll both know what to expect timewise. Obviously you can make it for whatever length of time you feel but it's not just open ended and you don't train a great free driving horse for someone
default_smile.png

My new harness for Candace showed up over the weekend. I went with the comfy fit with the Euro collar for her and another Euro collar for Clem when I (hopefully) hitch them as a team. After buying 2 new comfy fit collars and an extra euro collar I'm thinking I'm out of $$ for a little while. They are totally worth it though. I was hoping to take Clem out in her new collar today but clients were late picking up so it didn't work out. However, tomorrow I'm planning on hitching up and taking the nephews for rides... unless it rains
default_smile.png

They said mid October. I will give them a couple of weeks before contacting. They probably have in mind for me to board him all winter, but that's okay. If I get him trained to drive and they decide not to sell, I am wondering if I should do some kind of contract? Am I being too suspicious?
I am giving a Bubba a pass for now. The owners seem a little difficult to communicate with so I got cold feet about the deal. If my new one doesn't work out and they still want to sell him in the spring, I will reconsider.

I am giving a Bubba a pass for now. The owners seem a little difficult to communicate with so I got cold feet about the deal. If my new one doesn't work out and they still want to sell him in the spring, I will reconsider.
Always go with your gut for sure! Sorry about that. I had my fingers crossed for you.

OK guys, motivate me. I am lazy, in a slump and have not!driven for a week or more. My welsh pony has had arthritis issues that we have had the vet out twice for (x-rays and blocks and equioxx) and I am worried about him alot and just don't feel much like working with the minis. Winter is coming! I need to get out and enjoy the last of Fall! The minis need love!

Tell me to get over it and get out there!

OK guys, motivate me. I am lazy, in a slump and have not!driven for a week or more. My welsh pony has had arthritis issues that we have had the vet out twice for (x-rays and blocks and equioxx) and I am worried about him alot and just don't feel much like working with the minis. Winter is coming! I need to get out and enjoy the last of Fall! The minis need love!

Tell me to get over it and get out there!
Sorry to hear about your welsh. I feel for you with the arthritis thing. Hope you get in the mood to work with your miniatures. Play with the one you like best.

Thanks Marsha, I made myself take Cappy out today. My mom said she would hold him for me so we ventured out and had a good time. I kept him in the small paddock today, lots of squirrels rustling and jumping from tree to tree so I chose to be cautious. He did get a little "looky" once, and felt a little light, but I did a couple of circles and transitions and he refocused. I should've lunged him first or ground driven, but I was a lazy bones.

He was absolutely perfect to hitch, stood like a statue. He likes my mom ?

@Cayuse: I'm sorry about your welsh too
default_sad.png
I've also an arthritis patient in my barn, but at the moment, he's all ok because of the dry weather.

Glad to hear that Cappy is doing well! I think that good driving is a question of routine, so keep going on!!

Thanks Northwolf. Sorry to hear that you have one with arthritis, too. My fellow is feeling better, he is on Equioxx now, this being the fourth day. He trotted out of the barn this morning :). He still is not 100% himself, but I hope when the farrier comes and removes his shoes, he will improve more. We had glue on shoes applied and that was when this all worsened for him. They are just not the right option for him.

Cappy and I went for another drive. He wanted to stop and eat the fallen leaves, once we got over that, all was good. Today we reversed direction at the trot! It doesn't sound like much but I am working in a small area and he really has to work the turn to fit it in without breaking into a walk and he is not the most flexible of minis. I was proud of his effort. I think he was, too. He was happy with all the praise.

Latest posts

Back