Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marsha, you both look wonderful. Very Patriotic turnout! I can't tell, is the flag attached to your cart or is it part of the Boy Scout's float? I think it looks like yours. If it is, DD is a good egg to tolerate that flapping behind him!

How long is the parade route? Were there any other horses?
Marsha, you both look wonderful. Very Patriotic turnout! I can't tell, is the flag attached to your cart or is it part of the Boy Scout's float? I think it looks like yours. If it is, DD is a good egg to tolerate that flapping behind him!

How long is the parade route? Were there any other horses?
The flag is on my cart. We were by a group of Harleys, vying with each other revving their engines. Dapper Dan is not fazed by that or sirens at all. He used to startle when bicycles or skate boards came up behind him, but no more. There was a quarter horse Queen ahead of me. Her horse didn't like our turnout and kept skittering around, but his rider handled him well. There was a group of mounted Texas Rangers. The local riding club had some riders. I tried to stay well away from all of them as I don't like causing trouble with the biggies. There was an Army band from Ft Sill; even had two bagpipes. That patriotic music really gets to me.

It is not a long parade. There is less and less interest every year. Big prizes for floats, too. I think it could have been better advertised. We did have a good amount of spectators, though, which is fun.

We had Cappy out twice this weekend. I ground drove him first to take the edge off and see where his mind was and then we hitched him to the cart for the first time this year. He was better than I anticipated. I think all the sledding we did last winter helped. Hubby just walked with him and practiced turns, stops and a back up at the end. It will be awhile before they trot. I want to make sure Cappy is balanced enough and strong enough to trot with Hubby as he's a big guy. Cappy handled the walking just fine.

The first time we went out I used my betathane harness (the spotted harness I don't like) and I think I will just keep it for the sled. The shafts do not sit in the tugs, they float (no wrap straps, French tugs) and the cart rides forward, backwards, up and down, even with the breeching. I would have to get thimbles and that is one more peice of harness to fiddle with. I guess I'm old school, I want my wrap straps! Plus I can't manipulate the betathane it is too stiff.

Does anyone have at good exercises to help with flexibility? Cappy is is stiff on the right side. He is getting better, we do cones and serpentines to mix thing up.

Cappy may need a chiropractor. I have found this very helpful. He may not be able to flex because of pain. I got a horse one time whose shoulder was dislocated. Vet did not find it but the chiro did. Just a thought...

Good idea. My vet is coming on Wednesday, I can ask her who she recommends. I have never used a chiro, but I know that there are several in the area.

He is much better than he used to be, so I think part of it is he at some point just got used to being crooked and now we have to re-learn. It wouldn't hurt to check him out. I don't want to ask more of him than I should.

Is anyone here familiar with the Masterson Method? That is cool. I used to do the TMJ release on my old mare and she loved that. I was skeptical at first, but it did seem to help. She loved it and would yawn and fall asleep.

It is nice there were a few horse in your Parade. In the next town over they have the mounted police in their Parade and that is it. I can't remember when the last time there was horse in our town's Parade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rowdy's new owner came. We took the horses out for a drive this morning so she could "test drive" him. She lunged him a little before hitching (which he does not know how to do very well). We went around our 2 mile route, trotting and walking. She was pleased with his gaits. I asked her what she thought of him and she said "I love him". Of course, since his mate was along he was a perfect angel on the drive.

I got to observe him in action, which was fun. He is so beautifully showy in the cart! He is so glossy and shiny. Could it be the BOSS? She loved my Jerald Runabout and wants to find one. Her only negative thing was "he is kind of pushy".

He did all his tricks for her nicely.

He is off to AZ tomorrow on a new phase of his life. Dapper Dan will cry for two days. I have had my stomach in knots. Hard decision.

I stopped at his first vet's to ask for his health records and they would not give them to me. They said they needed the permission of his former owner. I said, could I at least see if he had vaccinations in the first 7 years, but they wouldn't let me see the record. Is that some new policy? I had the paperwork for everything I had done for him.

Marsha, I have had that happen to me. The vets around here won't release any info at all without the former owners consent.

So tommorrow is Rowdys big day. I am happy that it all worked out well and she likes him. It IS a hard decision to make I don't envy you in having to say goodbye to him, but it really sounds like a wonderful new home.

All the work that you did with him shined through when she said "I love him".

I worked in a Vet's office here in NC starting in 1997. That was policy - even then. Part of the Hippa policy on privacy.

If the new O's vet wants the info, they can either have the previous O give consent to the vet clinic to release it OR they can have their vet go thru the clinic(some clinics will do it that way for the vet office, but not for the O).

How long had you owned him? Does the new owner really need previous info? I know that I used to be "anal" about that - not so much any more. It IS nice to know which vaccines he may have had over the years, but...

Hope you get to hear how he is doing in his new home. It's always fun (to me) to hear back - sometime YEARS later - about how a horse you worked with and owned is doing. (or bred,raised, trained, showed and then sold)

I have had him about 18 months. The new owner said she will just put him on her vaccination schedule and not worry about the past. Dentist finally got out yesterday evening. Rowdy had a few points, so I'm glad he was seen, but overall he has a good mouth.

A friend who bought a Jerald Runabout the same time I did 15 years ago was thinking of selling the cart. Rowdy's new owners wanted to look at it. My friend had never used the cart or harness! The cart had been stored in a barn was filthy, but the tires aired up and it looks as though it just needs a good cleaning. The harness was in a big tool box and covered with white stuff--mold?? but supple and seemed fine. They decided to buy that outfit also. I would have bought the harness if they had not, as it had that very good bridle. It is the same harness I bought originally and it's the best bridle I've ever owned. Would have been nice to have it for a spare. I've never seen moldy leather before. What a mess. The folks were confident they could clean it up just fine.

I drove Cappy yesterday and today. He is back in the jointed snaffle with a noseband as a reminder and his mouth has quieted. My husband drove him for about five minutes each time so we could feel out his mood and then I would take over.

He is starting to travel a little straighter and I am happy with his progress so far. I think the jointed snaffle gets the idea across to him better, plus he is getting stronger. Perhaps it is easer to isolate each side with the regular snaffle as opposed to the Mullen mouth. I still think a french link is an option I need to try though.

The other thing we tried was loosening the wrap straps. They may have been too tight, keeping him from being able to move correctly.

We did some trotting too. Not a lot as he is out of shape, but enough to have fun with.

I forgot to ask the vet about the chiro! I can email her.

I drove Cappy yesterday and today. He is back in the jointed snaffle with a noseband as a reminder and his mouth has quieted. My husband drove him for about five minutes each time so we could feel out his mood and then I would take over.

He is starting to travel a little straighter and I am happy with his progress so far. I think the jointed snaffle gets the idea across to him better, plus he is getting stronger. Perhaps it is easer to isolate each side with the regular snaffle as opposed to the Mullen mouth. I still think a french link is an option I need to try though.

The other thing we tried was loosening the wrap straps. They may have been too tight, keeping him from being able to move correctly.

We did some trotting too. Not a lot as he is out of shape, but enough to have fun with.

I forgot to ask the vet about the chiro! I can email her.
Interesting about the wrap straps. I've wondered if mine are too loose sometimes.

My husband has been helping me and he is a "batten down the hatches" kinda guy. When I was taking lessons with Peanut the instructor told us we had the wrap straps a little snug. Peanut went happier with them loosened. He moved more free. Yesterday it came to me that maybe he was getting a little over zealous with the tightening again and they were pretty snug when I checked. My husband works with boats so I guess he is used to tying things off tight. But Cappy's a mini, not the Queen Mary! We will see if it makes a difference with Cappy next time or if it was just a coincidence today.

I hope things went well for everyone this morning when Rowdy made his departure.

My husband has been helping me and he is a "batten down the hatches" kinda guy. When I was taking lessons with Peanut the instructor told us we had the wrap straps a little snug. Peanut went happier with them loosened. He moved more free. Yesterday it came to me that maybe he was getting a little over zealous with the tightening again and they were pretty snug when I checked. My husband works with boats so I guess he is used to tying things off tight. But Cappy's a mini, not the Queen Mary! We will see if it makes a difference with Cappy next time or if it was just a coincidence today.

I hope things went well for everyone this morning when Rowdy made his departure.

Thanks for asking about Rowdy. He got off on his new adventure, yelling until he was out of sight. The people are very pleased with him. He had a roomy trailer to ride in and it isn't too terribly hot yet. I think she will be a better handler for him than I am. She is calm, confident and doesn't talk too much or coo. Dapper Dan is not happy; I plan to spend a lot more time with him now that I don't have to think about working with Rowdy.

I'm glad Rowdy is going to get a teammate and a home you feel good about. That's about as much as we can ask when we have to let an animal in our care move on. Poor Dapper Dan though. Major goes nuts when we drive Clementine out of site so I can imagine his sadness at loosing a buddy. He'll settle into the new routine quickly I hope.

I was also taught that the wraps had to be pretty tight. Then I realized that maybe it wasn't so great when I was introduced to the "floating" shaft loops. I now loosen my wraps so that the cart is more free but can't move upward more than an inch and a half or so. Clem also seemed happier with this than she was when she the cart was anchored down tight. Seems like it would put more pressure on her all around the way I was wrapping it before.

I'm off to a camping weekend for my 11th wedding anniversary with DH. We do Search and Rescue training this weekend every year so it's like a big anniversary party with helicopters, rappelling, and a lot of story telling between departments. Saves me from having to actually plan something for our anniversary....

Got a call from Rowdy's new owners. They got to AZ fine and he traveled just fine. They introduced him first to their big mare, who is gentle and older. Rowdy forgot he is a gelding. She asked me about that, and I said I don't think he has ever been with a mare so I had no idea how he would act! Anyway, he is fitting in fine. She wanted to get the information about what I feed because he looks so good.
default_biggrin.png
AZ is so different from OK; even the hay nutrient will be different. He will have to adjust.

Dapper Dan is doing fine. He was lonesome, but I've been spending more time with him and he is okay. Will be keeping my eye out for another horse.

Dapper Dan to the chiropractor today. I tried a new one; some of the hrose folk were not happy with the old one. DD had a little trouble in the pelvic and in his neck but over all good. He wasn't as good to tell about what he was doing as the old chiro; she explained better what she was doing and why. This guy was rather taciturn--just the facts. He also said he couldn't tell if there was arthritis without xrays. But the former chiro is the one who first alerted me to Dd's arthritis issue. So, not sure what to think..

There was some discussion among the group about building up hind ends--good exercises to do.

One of the horse folk was saying that she never buys bermuda for her horses as if it is cut after it goes to seed, it is too high in sugar for little horses. So, I will take a look at my bermuda hay this evening; but I don't think I've ever seen seed heads in it. We do have some bermuda in parts of our pasture, but it is mostly native grass.

Maybe have made a contact through the chiro for another horse; his parents have some miniatures.

I was the only one with a little horse today.

Is Dapper Dan all alone at the moment or are there other horses around?

I drove my minis 3 times over the short holidays; two times in the team and yesterday I hitched Teddy to the sulky. He was kind of lazy at the beginning, but after a few minutes, it worked great. The team driving was just awesome, I drove my minishetland and Teddy and they did very, very well :D It was a real pleasure to drive them, even as we tried racing gallop!

Is Dapper Dan all alone at the moment or are there other horses around?

I drove my minis 3 times over the short holidays; two times in the team and yesterday I hitched Teddy to the sulky. He was kind of lazy at the beginning, but after a few minutes, it worked great. The team driving was just awesome, I drove my minishetland and Teddy and they did very, very well :D It was a real pleasure to drive them, even as we tried racing gallop!
Great pictures! I hope you are also going to post on the Hours To Drive topic, so there is a record of your time. I know it has motivated me to do more driving!

Dapper Dan is alone for now. A neighbor has some horses that he can see, but not get close to. I'm putting feelers out for another horse; just need to be super selective.

Nice to see your team Northwolf. I have only driven a team once in my life and that was about 25 years ago. It was a lot of fun, but intimidating. They were draft horses and huge!

I had Cappy and Peanut out several times over this past week. I worked on straight lines with Cappy and he does seem to be understanding the concept a bit better and able to carry it off. I had a couple of nice drives with Peanut, the only issue being the grass was just high enough to be VERY tempting.

Jeannie, I am pleased for you and Daisy

It was nice to hear an update on Rowdy!

Latest posts

Back