Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to find a balance working both my riding horses and driving horses it tricky. I am happy to say I've been out riding twice in the last two weeks on some beautiful mountain rides. Sadly I neglected my driving my using my spare time riding. However, I did lunge the little beggers in the round pen a bit to help get rid of some fat :p
Very difficult to work multiple horses and have another life.

I am getting ready for a parade this Saturday. Big Memorial Day event in town. Last year I took Rowdy but this year I'm taking Dapper Dan. Last year was a little too exciting. But spiff up the harness and cart as the sun should be shining for the next couple of days.

We competed at the Gladstone CDE over the weekend. It was Flash's first event. Steel has competed there several times. I was concerned about their fitness but we finished the marathon 3 seconds too fast, even with walking at the end! They weren't even sweating. I think they could have done the whole course again. We made some mistakes and had some issues but I was very happy with the boys overall. They seemed to enjoy it.

DSC05277.JPG

We competed at the Gladstone CDE over the weekend. It was Flash's first event. Steel has competed there several times. I was concerned about their fitness but we finished the marathon 3 seconds too fast, even with walking at the end! They weren't even sweating. I think they could have done the whole course again. We made some mistakes and had some issues but I was very happy with the boys overall. They seemed to enjoy it.

attachicon.gif
DSC05277.JPG
Nice! How can one finished a marathon "too fast"?

Do you get time penalties for finishing too fast?

Looks like you had a wonderful day to be out driving. Beautiful pair. They look very happy.

Marsha, hope your Saturday is a sunny and happy one for you and DD.

I learned today that the newspaper used that wild photo of Rowdy and me from last year's parade in the paper today to promote the parade. That photographer must have been really impressed with us! The body paint folks are not going to be there this year so I can't get stars painted on Dapper Dan. Boohoo. Got my harness and cart cleaned today. Weather is supposed to be ideal.

Did you post last years picture? I would like to see that, I think I'll go back and look to see if you did.

I posted on the "hours" thread that I ground drove Peanut today and he was hot to trot. I might hitch him tomorrow. He seems to be feeling VERY good.

In a CDE the marathon is based on "ideal" time. The distance is measured in Kilometers. Your time is based on how fast your equine is allowed to go depending on size and level. We were doing Training Level and are VSEs (very small equines) so our speed was 9 kph (kilometers per hour). I don't remember the exact distance but it was around 4.5 K. The time allowed (ideal time) was 30:47 minutes. You have a three minute window so you can be as fast as 27:47. The maximum time is twice the time allowed. We came in at 27:44! After the last obstacle or 300 m before the finish you can walk if you want. I did ask the boys to walk at the end but should have done it sooner. You get penalties for too fast or too slow.

The tricky part is there are obstacles on the course. We had 4 to do. The distance is measured including the obstacles. {Historical note: When the CDE rules were first created (1960s) the distance inside the obstacles was NOT included so you had to go faster than the ideal time to finish in the window. I think it was more fun and challenging that way but no one asked me when they changed the rules.} But you want to go as fast in the obstacles as you can. Preliminary and above can canter or gallop! Each obstacle has gates marked by letters. Training usually does A, B, and C. The higher levels have more. My boys were faster than I expected, Yay! The time you spend in the obstacles counts has penalties for Preliminary and above. Training level the time doesn't count because you're supposed to be training your horse(s) and should take it easy until the horse(s) are ready to go fast.

Thanks for the picture Marsha, That is a nice one, even though Rowdy looks a little... Rowdy! Has he gone to his new home yet? I bet he will learn a lot from his team mate when he is driven as a pair. He will have learn to go with the flow.

Jaye, thanks for the explanation re: the CDE. I think Peanut would love to do that, he is very brave but sensible. He would love the challenge. But I have no real place to work him properly and no one to take lessons from consistently. Plus I am not supposed to even drive right now until I get off a med that I am on

(But I do it anyway in my field, don't tell) which will be in September. So I don't think we will ever get to try it. It sure looks like a lot of fun.

I ground drove again today, he was much more mannerly. Did a lot of figure 8 and serpintines. He is getting very responsive. I was going to drive him but rain is forecast for this afternoon when my husband would be home to help, so I ground drove before the rain started. Rain tomorrow, too.

Who would have thought one could go through the CDE too fast! There is nothing like that in my part of world. I would love to watch one. I went to the FB page of the event but there were no recent photos posted. Some gorgeous turnouts!

The folks are coming for Rowdy next week. They were planning to come this weekend, but I was busy with the parade and working at the museum. Plus, my equine dentist postponed us till the 30th. So it worked out better to wait. I can work with DD this weekend and then concentrate on spiffing up Rowdy.

I lunged Rowdy a little this morning then did his side passing. I use an L pattern, and he has the hang of turning the corner now, going both ways. I hope he will show off for the new folks, but usually he is too excited with other people around to focus. The most I can ever get him to do is shake hands when I want to show off his tricks.

Hoping my sister will come out and drive with me so I can take him out in the cart one more time before he leaves. I won't risk taking him out alone at this point.

It's nice that you are sending him to his new home with his teeth freshly done.

I wish I could get to drive. It is pouring right now.

Here is the picture from the parade last year that was in the paper. Looking back, we had no business being in the parade.
Every horse has a "first time" doing something. Clementine wasn't as prepared as she could have been for her first parade but I knew her and my self and felt confident that we would be able to do it safely. I didn't count on drones but that didn't end up badly even. And, like you said, apparently your entry was very much enjoyed by those watching the parade ;)

Rode instead of drove last night and came up on a mountain lion. It was only about 20 yards in front of me when I spotted it. Glad I was on a riding horse and not driving a mini. I think the mini would have looked like a snack on legs to that big kitty. It's tail was as thick as my arm. I don't think I want to see one that close up again.....

CDE's sound like a lot of fun. I got a little marathon cart for Clementine and am now in search of a teammate for her. I don't know that we'll ever make it to a show but I suppose we'll manage to have fun anyway. There just isn't a lot of that around here. Lot's of rodeos, reining, dressage, and other riding horse shows but only two driving shows that I know of and zero CDE.

Marsha....How the heck do you get them to side pass? The whole "pick up on one rein and move them over".... I can't figure it out. I just confuse the heck out of Clementine and she gets frustrated with me because she has no idea what I'm asking for. I need to be able to ask her to move her body over (like when she moves away from the rail) while keeping her head straight. I can't keep making her nosedive over to the rail to keep her in a straight line. It's driving me batty!

the trouble here in w kentucky is that there are a few horses here, but nobody does anything with them, so i know how you feel. i used to do cde with my arab, we both had a great time and lots of friends their in the middle of the desert in roswell, nm. it sure is lonely here. thank goodness i have this forum and

charlie and daisy. would like to do parades too.

Every horse has a "first time" doing something. Clementine wasn't as prepared as she could have been for her first parade but I knew her and my self and felt confident that we would be able to do it safely. I didn't count on drones but that didn't end up badly even. And, like you said, apparently your entry was very much enjoyed by those watching the parade ;)

Marsha....How the heck do you get them to side pass? The whole "pick up on one rein and move them over".... I can't figure it out. I just confuse the heck out of Clementine and she gets frustrated with me because she has no idea what I'm asking for. I need to be able to ask her to move her body over (like when she moves away from the rail) while keeping her head straight. I can't keep making her nosedive over to the rail to keep her in a straight line. It's driving me batty!
I tried him again in a parade last December and he was worse. So bad I had to unhook and lead him and even then he was like a trout on a line. Every time I take him to town or to a strange place or somewhere there are other strange horses he loses his mind. I've tried and tried. That's why I am happy he is going to a more experienced handler and where he can have the security of being in a team.

I was in an obstacle class one time where we had to sidepass in a cart to move the /cart between two boards. I am not sure anyone in the class was able to do it. I practiced it at home for a while but couldn't accomplish it. Crossing over to make a pivot turn my horse understands, but I couldn't figure out how to get the whole cart over--so I can't teach him.

I hope everyone has a nice long weekend and gets to do some driving. Or riding!

Majorclem, how are the fjords doing? I know we should keep it to minis, but a tiny update probably wouldn't hurt. Have you been to drive them? I still have to order that snaffle for Cappy, time flew by this week. Have you tried yours yet?

Jeannie, I get lonely for horse people! I see more of them in the summer, at shows, but everyone

I know lives far from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Fjords are in Iowa until the fall but my father has been out to drive them. They took them out on the highway yesterday and decided to change bits on them because they were a little harder in the mouth than they should be. I'm going out in July and will get to drive them then. Thanks for asking.

I ordered a half cheek french link for Clementine and a D ring french link for my riding horse today. I finally got around to measuring mouths and whatnot. I discovered that the bit I'm using on Clementine is a little small (like the rest of the harness it came with). It's 3.5" and I ordered her a 3.75". Hopefully the size up and the different style will be more comfortable for her and I'll get a little more response from her. I'm excited to try the french link with my OTTB as well to see how he goes in it. I'll post when the show up and I get a chance to use them. My mini bit I ordered from Iowa Valley Carriage.

I had to go up in size too when I got both Peanut and Cappy their Mullen mouth snaffle. One is 4 and the other a 3.75. They look a little roomy, but it seems to work. It made a BIG difference in turning with Peanut, he is much steadier and more collected. He has a wonky tooth and I think the narrower bit pinched it against his cheek at times. The vet has been floating it down a little at a time. Hopefully it will be back to normal at the next float.

Survived the parade. It was a piece of cake with my steady Dapper Dan. He is not as showy as Rowdy, but I was able to give rides and let people pet him. Nothing fazed him as he is an old pro. No drones, but a helicopter did go over pretty low. Here we are posed by the boy scout troop. They were all wearing vintage uniforms,which was cool, in front of a vintage tent.

I wanted to polish his hooves, but could not get the bottle open. Next time I'll make sure it will open before I leave home.

boyscout parade.jpg

Marsha, you both look wonderful. Very Patriotic turnout! I can't tell, is the flag attached to your cart or is it part of the Boy Scout's float? I think it looks like yours. If it is, DD is a good egg to tolerate that flapping behind him!

How long is the parade route? Were there any other horses?

You guys look great. Nothing better than a steady horse to get you where you need to go. I love the cart dog too. Congrats on a successful parade!

Latest posts

Back