Your Dogs' Vocabulary

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine know way too many..without looking at what others mentioned: (this is what comes to the top of my head, I know there are many more if I really thought about it)

the basics (they know these, but do not always listen) sit, stay, down, over, off, speak, shake, paw, come, quiet, wait

other words: food, hungry, treat, rawhide, pig ear, cookie, pills, barn, go for ride, listen, chickens (this means fresh pooh) - any of these words can be combined with a sentance like "do you want a " and they know what it means. more...bed, toy, to be specific - I can name certain toys and the lab will go get them...his favorite toy's names' are.. big ben, polar one...(he must have at least one of these or he WILL NOT go to bed)..I know there are many more, but this is just some. When I look back and read all those, they actually seem kinda smart, then why do they act so stupid sometimes??? Couldn't live without them though.

FUN THREAD!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Okay here goes the list for our 4, some respond better than others to different words..............

sit

down

stay

come

off

no

up

house

bed

move (for when they are in the way, they know this word well)

no barking

quiet

hush

give it

drop it

cat

kitty

mom

dad

TV

breakfast

dinner

chewy (big word, gotta spell it sometimes)

cookie

chicken

hot dog

Arby's

oatmeal

frisbee

That's it off the top of my head.

Mine know all sorts of things, but the main one is "Where's my truck drivers" They will nearly knock me over (and they are little bitty dogs--about 10 lbs total) to get out the door and into my truck.

Murphy the puppy knows quite a few words, but his favorite are "cookie" and "chips" - he's a junk food addict and also likes his doggie treats. Other than that, he knows his name, "Shake a paw" and "Who's here?" (He runs to the stairs and looks to see who has come in). I'm pretty sure he knows "jump up" and his very favorite phrase is "Who's a cute puppy?" and variations thereof.

Our other dogs, I'm pretty sure, understand more English than I do. They are unnaturally intelligent. Our cattle dog, I carry on whole conversations with when we're working cattle and he knows what to do. George, our cocker/aussie, takes the best of both breeds for sure and is so incredibly wise and sensitive, I really don't think there is a word he doesn't know. Likewise with Scooby, our mature cocker spaniel. He might come across as dumb, but there's a wee little old man hidden inside that brain of his. He knows stuff, I swear ...

But of course, of all the words they know, their favorite is "Dogs! Food!" for leftovers and "Who wants a treat?" for everyday use.

Trixie knows:

Wanna Eat?

outside (have to spell this word!
default_rolleyes.gif
: )

car ride

walk

drop it

gimme kiss

go get it

treat

move

back up

My mom always said Shelties were the smartest breed out there, but that was before we got a cattle dog. Those darn heelers could probably pass first grade given a chance!

Dusty is another that understands whole sentences she's never heard. The cat got out of the house once post-surgery and we couldn't find him. Mom opened the door and said "Dusty, where's Mitch? Find Mitch, Dusty!" She kept running out to our front field and Mom (despite having just asked the dog to find the cat) kept yelling at her to quit goofing off and find the cat. I rolled my eyes and walked out to the field without a word, picked the cat up from where he was hiding in the tall grass at Dusty's feet, and walked back in the house.

Another time Mitch had turned loose a mouse in his personal winter pantry (aka our basement) and we had it cornered by the door in a bunch of loose boots. We couldn't hold the door open, keep the mouse from getting away, and move all the boots at once so we told the dog "Dusty, get that mouse! Get it out the door. Get it!" I'll be darned if she didn't look at us like she was trying so hard to figure out what we wanted, looked at our fingers pointing, looked at the little furry thing and back at us, then dove in and used her nose to herd it right out the door! What a dog.

So she regularly figures out complex commands she's never heard. I also taught her "Ready, set, GO!" when I was younger. She stills on the first word, will sit there trembling with tension on the second, and launches on the third word no matter how you say them. "Do you want the plate?" gets a response every time. She can count- she knows exactly how many plates left the kitchen whether there are guests or not and will wait and stare at the owner of said plate after they are done until they take it in the kitchen for her to lick. The minute the last plate is accounted for she loses interest.

She got trained for agility so she knows:

weave (thread through my legs or a set of poles at speed)

over

under

through

left

right

back (it's behind you, stupid)

way back (faaaaaaarrrther back)

towards me (you're too far back)

Basic obediance/house commands:

sit

down

down-to-sit handsign

stand

wait (hold it, don't go anywhere just yet)

stay (move and die)

heel

load

unload

leave it

quiet

come here

go in your kennel

go lay down (quit begging)

get it (insert object here)

bring it here

shake it up

find it (seek out a hidden treat)

okay! (release word)

go potty

do you want to go out?

get off the bed

move over

"Don't you growl at me!" (Usually following "Move over." The dog lets us take her food or toys and knows her place, but she expresses her disgust verbally quite frequently.)

Watch me (means to look in my eyes and focus)

Back up ("You're sitting too close to me, dog breath.")

Words or additional tricks:

good dog

bad dog

biscuit

treat

plate

couch

truck

tire (as in "Don't bite the tire!")

camping

RV

happy dance (whirl in little circles with great excitement)

"Up!" with a patting motion means permission to place her paws on our chests

whisper (start whining)

speak (bark once)

sing (howl along with the human)

daddy's home!

shake hands (hates it but knows it)

sit up (raise front paws off ground from a sit and hold the pose)

high five (sit up and slap our hands with both front paws)

She's thirteen now but I think we taught her "roll over" and "hold it" (treat on the nose) and a few others when she was little and learning everything. And I KNOW I didn't list everything here. If we pack for a trip she goes nuts and wants to bolt out the door every time we open it straight to the RV. She bites the tire on the truck to make it move. This dog knows stuff, man. LOL

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanna go for a walk?

Wanna go Pee-pee" ( for my sissy 3 lb yorkie)

Go for a ride?

Mine know the entire english language. Remember its just me and them. Keighley has listened to me ramble for 13 years. The only non word is Wooby, which translates into girl baby. My mom refers to them as her Grand dogs.

Whitney, I can really relate. I never shut up, even when Ursa is my only company. Ok, we'll play!

Ursa knows (gees, if I can remember them all_

Sit

Lay down

Stay

Go 'round (goes in circles in place)

cookie

bacon

treat

peanut butter

bone

tuna

chicken

wheat (shredded wheat squares cereal)

outside

truck

car

is there somebody?

bring it

drop it

off

what's that?

go see

leave it

no

wait

right here, right now

go around (leaves where she is in the fence and finds a place she can get thru to me)

basement

upstairs

bed

slippers

bath

crate

rat!! mouse!

shake it

say please

no more

horses

barn

eat

go

get the mail

dog

kitty cat

do it! (toilet habits)

baby

where's' it at?

show me

ball

bad dog!

good girl!

There's more but I can't stand typing anymore! She is only going to be TWO YEARS OLD. I wrote them all down once & there are actually about 75 words! :bgrin She's an AmStaff & almost as smart as my wonderful Dear Prudence (also an AmStaff who passed :no: just before I got Ursa.) But then, Pru had 12 years to learn all her stuff. She actually knew about 200 words. You could talk in sentences to Pru. Ursa is getting there quick.

I've seen two bumper stickers (and please, no one be offended!) that said "My Am Staff is smarter than your 3 year old!" Please take that in the fun spirit it's meant. I don't mean to rub any body the wrong way!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back