Your Colt VS. Filly Ratio

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Well in all the excitement of foaling season and watching my first mare due to foal acting very suspicious tonight and looking 100% ready to go. . ..I got to thinking about how I wanted a colt from her SO BADLY and then realized that for my farm (with foals born on my residence - not including all the ones I've assisted) I am two for two on fillies and no colts so far so that makes me 0-2 (colts-fillies).

I thought this would be a fun thread, so over all of the years that you've had foals born on your property, what is your colt vs. filly ratio?

I have had colts coming out of my ears.

Over the last several years I have had way more colts than fillies. It did not matter what stallion I used. I am so due for a filly year!!

To date, our horses have had:

Three Colts: Skipper, Ducky & Trooper
default_wub.png

Seven Fillies: Morningstar, Passion, Cover Girl, Piper, Infinity, Bliss & Divine
default_wub.png

+ One double dilute filly slipped late term last year, I think due to a twisted cord
default_no.gif

When we first had our homebred foals due in 2008, we lost our first mare to go into labor along with her foal. Vet did all he could and I mean ALL. He was with us from the middle of the night until after dawn. I do not know what sex the foal was... it was just an emotionally devastating experience
default_sad.png

... but that said and back to something positive, Skipper, Morningstar and Cover Girl were born at other farms but from mares we already owned (prior to conception of the foals). I was "there" physically for two of them and via the internet (mare stare) for the other
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We generally have more fillies than colts. We actually had 3 years straight of nothing but fillies (6, 8, 6). The last two years though we've been about 50/50. I have one stallion who has produced 3 colts out of 16 foals and another with 1 colt out of 10. The rest are at that 50% mark or near it.

JNK I cannot seem to be able to look at your camera on marestare, its just a black screen, is it something that I am doing wrong?

You don't want my record: 3 dead colts, 2 live colts (1 who recently died); 1 dead filly.

Our 1 live filly resulted from buying a bred mare and having her foaled out there.

Our stallion and mare have had 5 fillies.

We have another mare we bought to breed to him,(in avatar) to see

if we could get that elusive colt but have not bred them yet.

Our boy went visiting, one breeding season, and with a variety of

mares had 6 fillies and 2 colts.

So I know he can throw boys, just doesn't seem to be in

the cards with this one mare, no matter how hard I think blue or

try reverse psychology and think pink.

I almost didn't post as I am worried it'll jinx us! LOL

We've always had more fillies than colts. 2010 gave us 17 foals and only 5 of them were colts. I would LOVE to repeat that this year but don't want to be the filly fairy hog two years in a row LOL

we have had out of our Stallion Bow

2007- 1 colt 2 fillies

2008- 4 fillies

2009- 1 filly

2010- 4 colts
default_wacko.png

and before 2010 foals were born I think I posted about his

7 fillies and only 1 colt. But he made up for that in 2010

total home bred

5 colts / 7 fillies

then

3 colts 1 filly out of mares we bought bred

Fillies: 7 alive, one dead (aborted)

Colts: 9 alive, one dead (mare foaled a month early, colt was stillborn)

Hoping since both babies last year were colts that we have a filly year this time! Have 3 mares due, 2 we know for sure and one iffy.

I've had a total of 5 foals over the years; both full-size and mini. 2 APHA fillies, 1 AQHA colt, 1 mini colt (died within 24 hours - mare purchased bred), and 1 mini filly (coming 2 year old stinker). So fillies are ahead so far. I'm hoping for colt this year from a particular breeding, otherwise, just healthy foals would be a thrill.

I had to go to the stud book and count... it varies from year to year, I remember a year we had 7 colts and only 2 fillies but the long term count is 31 colts and 29 fillies, pretty close to even.

Jan

Out of 10 foals, I've had a whopping 1 filly. I still have her, she's 6 this year. She was my very first foal, and I bought her sire from Mizbeth for the sole purpose of her birth (and her full brother). She's my baby, and lives up to her name, Princess.

Out of the 9 colts, one hiplocked and didn't make it, one ate some mushrooms at 4 months old and died of liver failure, and the other 7 are all doing well (as geldings, with new owners, save for the 2010 colt, who's prospective buyers are coming to meet him tomorrow, and who is scheduled to lose his jewels sometime in march, depending on weather and UCD).

Eagle has given me 3 colts and 1 filly Other stallions 1 colt and 2 fillies so doing more or less even with a total of

4 colts and 3 fillies (1 died at birth)

I am really hoping for the filly fairy this year.

So interesting to hear what everyone has had over the years, keep 'em coming!

DW2 - I only have it on for certain hours but you can follow the mare's progress and see when I have them up at the MareStare community messgae board =)

I've already posted our overall break down of foals born here but here's the break down per stallion we've had on our farm (all known foals, whether born here or prior to purchase of stallion)

Buster: 1 colt, 4 fillies

Sky: 2 fillies, 8 colts

Doc: 5 colts, 0 fillies (*sigh* hoping that changes this year! lol)

Outside stallions: 2 fillies, 2 colts

5 foals so far...

HFM Rio Bravo 30.5" bay

2006 colt

2008 colt

2010 filly

EXPECTING 1 2011 foal

LK Sentra Supreme 31.75" buckskin roan

2009 filly

2010 filly

Before I owned him...

7 colts

2 fillys

EXPECTING 4 2011 foals

Out of around a hundred foals born here using different stallions we have averaged about 70% colts...
default_no.gif

I hate to write this out for fear of jinxing it! But over the years I've had:

6 colts

16 fillies (2 deceased at birth)

27% colts, 73% fillies

In the past I've had two outside mares here for foaling, one had a colt, one had a filly. Frosty Chip's foal this year, I don't know what it was, since I lost both of them.

Back