Yarn

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
Nothing as peaceful as spinning yarn. Love to do it to De-Stress.

Here I have it on my skein winder.

BrecknockHillLlamaDec12a.jpg

And here it is having a bath, so I can do the final set.
What everyone wanted to see,,, is yarn taking a bath! LOL
BrecknockHillLlamaDec12c.jpg

So who else spins yarn?

Or uses yarn in crafts?

What kind of yarn do you spin?

A gal I boarded horses iwth in CO spun horse hair and dog hair, and then made stuff from the yarn and it was just beautiful.

I would LOVE to learn to spin!!!! I love to knit and I would like to eventually own one or two sheep for fiber and learn to take it from sheep to yarn to finished project. Is it very hard to do? Is it expensive to start up? I am fascinated!

Will see if I can finally post....

I spin sheep's wool for the most part. The above yarn is a combo of when I had my sheep and blended a nice Llama with it.
Is the last of sheep wool from back then.

For years I have thought about blending Dyfra's super soft Icelandic fur with some long wool sheep breed, but I have not gotten around to it yet.
Also have always wanted to spin flax. Love linen clothes.
Flax is a lot of work... would have to grow it, prep it... hoping some day.

You should learn to spin! There is no right or wrong way to do it... just your own way. If you have a guild near you, you can go and try out some wheels and see what works best for you. That is what I did. And I loved the Majacraft Saxony!
Or you can learn to spin on a spindle, that is cheap and easy to use.

This is one of mine.

Spindle1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Love seeing your yarn in the making. Thanks for sharing. I used to think I would learn to spin but it just didn't happen. I love to watch people do it though.

Lois

I own a painted vegetable ivory button showing a Peruvian woman spinning with the little spindle. I think that tool is used all around the world. I wonder if sailors carried its knowledge everywhere? Yours is delightful. Is it carved or lazer cut?

My sister wove a rug using her hand-spun wool. It boggled my mind. She went to Taos to learn the weaving technique.

Lois, it is peaceful watching people spin. Always smile, when someone stops to talk and they just end up sitting there, watching the wheel spin. :O)

Oh, I am sure the sailors did. I also have a Turkish Spindle, but I do not use it much.

Your Ivory button spindle sounds wonderful Marsha!
How lucky your sister was... going to Taos too weave!

Have always wanted to learn to weave, but I have to many things going on right now.

Latest posts

Back