Y.O.T.E. Classes for AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you in favor of the Y.O.T.E. division with AMHA?

• Total voters

minimini

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I just wanted to post this to make sure everyone learns of the 2 new Y.O.T.E. classes the AMHA will be offereing at the Regional and World Shows in 2011. We hope to see more classes added in coming years!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

JUST ANNOUNCED! Y.O.T.E. Classes to Debut in 2011

Two classes to be offered at the Regionals and World Show!

The Y.O.T.E. (Youth Owned, Trained and Exhibited) Division was approved by the AMHA Membership at the 2010 Annual Meeting. However, prior to that a moratorium on new classes had been put in place by the Board of Directors. In December of 2010, the Board of Directors voted to put two of these classes into effect for the 2011 Regional and World Shows:

YOTE Mares 18 & Under

YOTE Geldings 18 & Under

There are 0 qualifying points for these classes in its first year offered.

The most important thing to note right now, is that if you are planning to participate in these classes for 2011, the horse you will be showing must be recorded in the youth’s name by January 1, 2011. Please see section b of the following information for details. The Y.O.T.E. program and rules are as follows and will appear in the 2011 Rule Book. Please note that as of now only the previously mentioned two classes have been added.

If you have any questions on this program, please email [email protected] or call AMHA at 817.783.5600.

Personally I think the idea of having YOTE classes is awesome. I see too many kids stacking classes with trainer horses, etc for kids who are showing on their own and doing all of the hard work to compete. So yes, I feel that these classes are a good idea.

However, I still believe that the AOTE and now YOTE class stipulations need to be revisited. I am tired of seeing horses that have been at a trainers barn all year in being shown in AOTE the following year. Example, horse goes to trainers January 2009 and is shown/trained all year by trainer and amateur. Returns to Amatuers barn in December 2009 and is shown as an AOTE horse in April 2010. IMO this is not an AOTE horse. An AOTE horse is one that has been solely trained, conditioned and shown by the owner. Not "tuned up" to take into the ring.

I am one who has used a trainer for a year and then done AOTE the next- I had to feed that horse all winter long and exercise it for months on end to compete as an AOTE. A horse could go 'to pot' in 4-6 months, so I feel I earned every right to go into AOTE classes. Also, I had to use a trainer first, as I have had many significant physical issues and would not have been able to even compete the first year, had it not been for a trainer's help. But, I did every bit of work to get that horse back in shape for the next show season. I remember saying, 'I did it myself' and the joy that feeling brought- this was very important in my road to recovery, too. Using a trainer first was a matter of necessity for me. But, then, why should I not be able to go into AOTE the following year after I had done all the work? I think the AOTE program is GREAT!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am definitely not trying to step on anyones toes or upset anyone, I was simply voicing my opinion. IMO an AOTE horse is one that has been fully trained, etc by the owner. Thats all. I think that there is a fine line and I have seen many people push that line. Not just in AOTE but Amateur classes as well. I elect to train, condition and show my horses myself, and am proud of that. But do feel that a professionally trained horse is just that. It doesn't forget what it learned in 3 months time. To the last poster, I do commend you for doing all of the tune up and conditioning yourself as that is hard work in itself.

As a youth who works VERY hard with my horses, I'm thrilled to see this change. I watch people my age working with their horses daily whereas some youth are handed professionally trained horses to show in the ring upon arriving at a show. There is nothing wrong with showing someone's horse for them, there are some very talented youth out there who do an exceptional job doing so. However, I do believe that there should be separate classes to give others a chance to show their own horses themselves. Horses that they have trained, worked with, etc. and the owners are not professionals.

Overall, I'll be interested to see where this goes.

Rebecca

I think it is a really great idea but lets not stop there. What I'd really like to see is more classes. For example, why should a little 28" mare have to compete against a 34" mare? The teeny ones just don't stand a chance. It is discouraging for kids and I'm all about keeping kids enthused about showing horses.
default_yes.gif

I agree! And also adding YOTE performance. One thing that AOTE is missing is halter obstacle. Would love to see the youth have a chance to showcase what they can do on their own.

I believe the intention is to add more classes asap, but for 2011 only the two classes will be offered at the regionals and worlds to start the division. I think this is a wonderful idea as I have bought and trained my own horses from the ground up, and love the idea of individuals like my self being able to compete in such a class.

The only downside, 2011 is my last youth year!! But I will get to venter into AOTE, so its not all bad!

I love the AOTE division and I'm excited about my daughters doing the YOTE as well. I was needing clarification on a couple points so emailed and this was my reply.

The horse must be owned or leased by either the youth, jointly or individually, or the youths immediate family. A YOTE can also be shown by a family member in AOTE.

Way to go AMHA!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

I am tired of seeing horses that have been at a trainers barn all year in being shown in AOTE the following year. Example, horse goes to trainers January 2009 and is shown/trained all year by trainer and amateur. Returns to Amatuers barn in December 2009 and is shown as an AOTE horse in April 2010. IMO this is not an AOTE horse. An AOTE horse is one that has been solely trained, conditioned and shown by the owner. Not "tuned up" to take into the ring.
Hmmmm.... It's not always so cut and dry. Just because a horse was at the trainer's for a year, doesn't mean it wasn't trained when it went to the trainer's. We send some of our horses to a trainer for them to promote that horse. Not because we can't train the horse, we send them for "political" reasons. When they go, they're trained.

I love the AOTE division and I'm excited about my daughters doing the YOTE as well. I was needing clarification on a couple points so emailed and this was my reply.

The horse must be owned or leased by either the youth, jointly or individually, or the youths immediate family. A YOTE can also be shown by a family member in AOTE.

Way to go AMHA!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
Glad to hear this clarification!! This is a great addition to the program! Can't wait to see it grow!!

Even if a horse was at a trainers a year prior (most trainers do not keep horses thru the winter) but even if they did a horse that works well for a trainer does not mean the horse will act or show the same or look the same after being home with a youth or a ammy.

If it were that easy.. we would all be winning all the time lol

LOVE this!!

I am with TyeeRanch-the T part of AOTE and YOTE stands for TRAINED which means that the horse should be trained by the exhibitor only. Being at a professional trainers the year before (or even years before that) and then showing with an amateur the next should not count. A horse does not unlearn what they learned from the pro trainer. My 16 year old stallion still sets himself up-he hasn't been shown since he was a 4 year old! It IS hard to keep a horse show ring fit and to get the horse to connect with you yourself though so I give a big kudos to people who work hard to do that after bringing a horse home from the trainer's. I think showing in just amateur would be the better place for that horse though
default_wink.png

Just something to ponder-

What if the horse is at a trainer for, say, halter training one year. Then the owner takes the horse home and trains it to do performance. The amateur/owner has trained it to do the performance classes but since maybe some years before the horse had been at a trainer's for halter, the horse is now not eligible for AOTE or YOTE in the performance classes? Where does one draw the line?

I think in that instance the line is easy to draw-halter is not the same as performance so being at a trainers for halter and then showing in AOTE the next year in performance is not a big deal at all.

Latest posts

Back