Would you buy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy a horse (same horse)

• Total voters
Why wouldn't a yearling have papers? I recently purchased a filly who wasn't even a year and she came with both AMHA and AMHR registry papers done.

With all due respect Minimor, I didn't misunderstand anything. With the choices she gave, there is nothing that states the horse is registered or all paperwork is in order at one given price. If there are stipulations to a purchase price being higher for a breeder doing what they should do because they bred that horse, then I wouldn't buy it. Period. There are to many nice weanlings and yearlings for sale with everything in order, to deal with a breeder who thinks you should pay more for them to do paperwork they should do in the first place. I would also never buy one that the stallion report or DNA isn't done on the sire and dam already. Thats just asking for trouble. The rules clearly state in AMHA that both have to be DNA'd before a foal can be registered, why should I have to pay more for a horse because the breeder hasn't done that yet. Same thing with a stallion report. It should be filed before the horse is even born, so why would it be something I would have to pay extra for as well. So I stand by what I said, I would not buy a horse period under any of the stipulations in the poll. And by paperwork in order, I mean either registration papers or all of the applications and transfers signed by the current owner and the papers can be sent in, register the horse with no issues.

But you did misunderstand --she was trying to ask if you would rather buy a horse already registered for a certain price (which happens to be the unregistered price plus some extra) or an unregistered horse for the lower price, or on application for an in between price. She did NOT mean that the ad would state '$xxx plus an additional price if you want papers'. The price would simply be $xxxx. Papers included. She was just asking what people would be most interested in--that? Or would they be more interested if the horse were advertised for a couple hundred dollars less, on application? Her unfortunate use of "base price plus" did confuse a number of people--they, and you, have taken it to mean something different than it did. I had to read it a couple of times to realize her intention -- and she confirmed my interpretation in a post some earlier I. This thread.

Yes the poll question is confusing, and yes I read the explaination so I now know the intent, but I didn't vote in the poll. Please don't shoot me! HAHA, I can only relate my past experience on this subject and you can take it or leave it, use it as advice or education or flame me, your choice.

A couple of decades ago we went to a breeders farm to look at and purchase a double registered yearling mare, of course this was before all of the internet stuff, and saw a beautiful yearling filly as well. We inquired about this filly as she was so darling and were told by a very honest reputable owner that he acquired this filly and yes she was for sale but had no registration papers. Well she had stolen out hearts and we purchased her. We then waited until she was three and hardshipped her into AMHR. This filly was purchased during the hayday, we paid dearly for her, then paid more to hardship her in. She has since paid for herself in foal sales, but is now retired. ON the other hand, I would not do it again, and also one more experience I would not do again, I will not ever buy another young AMHA only registered foal! Reason being, I've had to hardship them into AMHR, and good thing I spent the money, cause 4 out of 5 have gone over. Problem is this, you purchase an AMHA only foal and it may do well showing at AMHA shows until it goes over in height, then you show at the local level and do well, but at the National level not at all, since evrything is ASPC/AMHR, so trying to resell is a nightmare. Also here on the east coast the market is none exsistant, the market is flooded with horses, so many poor little ones going to auction and heaven know where. I'm no longer breeding and once figured out it cost around $900 just to bring a foal into this world if done properly, and a dystocia cost more. Just some things to think about. I know it is better on the west coast and in other parts of the world, but seriously if you are getting into breeding to make money, you may want to give it a second thought.

Yikes, maybe we need to start the poll again. There might be some people out there who would buy a horse on application and knowing what the costs of for doing the paperwork themselves would be willing to save money. But I think that although there are breeders who sell horses on application and with the paperwork not all the way done, they usually don't lower the price of the horse because the paperwork isn't done. I'm just going to stick with a good breeder selling quality horses does the necessary paperwork, has it done and doesn't offer horses without the paperwork done to the general market. In the case where you know the breeder personally or you see a horse you love in person and the breeder tells you the paperwork isn't done, well that's your choice.

I think I'm learning there are many different markets within the mini horse world but for the quality of horses I want to purchase the paperwork has to be in order.

Latest posts

Back