Would you buy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy a horse (same horse)

• Total voters

Just_Rena

Reaction score
I won't buy on application,just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I obviously prefer all paperwork to be in order and in hand AND in the current owners name! That being said I would consider buying a weanling on application, as far as I am concerned they should be registered by the time they are yearlings, its cheaper the younger they are and there is no real reason not to. I can understand not registering only if there is a question as to whether or not the horse will remain small enough to stay legal in whichever registry. The only way I will buy on application though is if I check the studbooks and the parents have been dna'd and then call the registries and check to make sure the stud report was turned in and that the dam is on it. More work so most likely would have to be a pretty awesome horse to bother with it.

I have bought foals that were not yet registered--but only from sellers that I trusted and knew they would in fact register the foal and provide me with the papers. Papers have always been provided to me--I would not purchase on application, especially not from someone I do not know

I wouldnt buy anything without papers in hand ever again , Ive been stung too many times , luckily Ive always managed to get them sorted but its been a lot of hassle

I guess I don't understand the question. Why would there be a price and then 300.00 more to have the papers in hand and complete? If you're selling a show quality horse, I would expect everything done. I think you might alienate buyers by saying a base price and then quite a bit more to have the paperwork done. Buyers can look at the price list to see how much all this costs. I wouldn't deal with a farm that lists a base price and then charges more to do DNA work, applications, etc.

The foals I will have for sale over the years will all have papers in hand. I was wondering what yall thought because I see alot of weanlings/yearlings sold on application. I have bought one I had to pay for a late stud report+all other fees (never again)

I agree that I expect the price to be all inclusive--one price = horse with papers.... I took the poll to mean would you buy a horse with papers for $600 or would you buy that horse without papers for $300...or the horse with application and all prelim registry work in order for $500.

I agree--if a seller said this horse is $300 and if you want papers it will be $300 extra but if you are okay with an application then it is only $200 extra...I would walk away.

I agree- I pay for a registered, paperwork all done and in hand, animal I do not expect to pay anything more...
I agree, I don't expect to pay more that the price listed and wouldn't pay less because something WASNT included, I would walk away.

I agree that I expect the price to be all inclusive--one price = horse with papers.... I took the poll to mean would you buy a horse with papers for $600 or would you buy that horse without papers for $300...or the horse with application and all prelim registry work in order for $500.

I agree--if a seller said this horse is $300 and if you want papers it will be $300 extra but if you are okay with an application then it is only $200 extra...I would walk away.
This is what I meant to say

My answer would still be no. Wouldn't want to deal with a breeder who had different prices for papers or who was doing business in that manner. A horse should be fairly priced for the quality and the papers should follow the horse and if it's a boy and not stallion quality then a gelding contract should apply. I think there are so many wonderful horses in rescue looking for homes and people who aren't interested in papers should probably start there first. Also the caring people in rescue will teach them a lot about minis and be there as a resource.

Again, I don't think the poll is about someone offering a horse for different prices with different payment options---she is just asking which of the options would you actually buy if you saw any one of them advertised?

For myself--I would choose the first one--a horse I liked was advertised as registered for a price.

If instead that horse was advertised for less money and on application--I would keep looking.

I don't believe the poll is meaning that the horse would be advertised with various registration options and prices.

Again, I don't think the poll is about someone offering a horse for different prices with different payment options---she is just asking which of the options would you actually buy if you saw any one of them advertised?

For myself--I would choose the first one--a horse I liked was advertised as registered for a price.

If instead that horse was advertised for less money and on application--I would keep looking.

I don't believe the poll is meaning that the horse would be advertised with various registration options and prices.
"You got my meaning Perfectly, I'm not good at expressing ideas.

Not quite the same, and I got lucky all was good; I bought my first mini with AMHA papers in hand and AMHR application ready to send in. Got all his paperwork sent in and all was just fine.

I only buy registered horses... Occasionally the horse is a foal just born but papers are always done for me.

I have purchased in the past, with papers in hand and on application with stud report and DNA done. I have , when purchasing on application, always called the registries to verify the name of the dam was indeed on the stud report. I never would have considered purchasing something over a year of age on application. Sorry, that would have been plenty of time to get the papers in and back and fees start to add up after they turn six month old I believe.

Gee, took me long enough to understand .
default_yes.gif
Sorry about that. As a newbie, I had a different answer but now I'd only go with papers in hand. I've learned to ask that question as well which I hadn't a clue about in the beginning. Having the paperwork done is one of the ways I now personally evaluate a breeder. I have a Norwegian Fjord and the registry for the Fjords requires that the paperwork be done by the seller. I guess I don't understand any longer why breeders sell a horse without the necessary paperwork done. But newbies do get confused and everyone is going to have a different way of buying a horse and evaluating a breeder and I respect their choices.

There are to many good weanlings out there to deal with this pricing thing. If you are buying and these are your choices, walk away now and look elsewhere. If a person is breeding, and you don't have your stallion and mares DNA'd before they produce a foal and you didn't file a stallion report by Jan 15, you don't need to be breeding horses, period. If you can't take the time and money to do what a breeder should do and sell with everything in order, then don't bred at all. Its just crazy the number of people that call themselves breeders, yet sell with nothing in order, sometimes with the sire and dam not even transferred into their name. They are breeding for the money only, not to improve the breed. Then people that are new have no idea what to look for, buy these crappy horses with little or no chance of gettings papers and when it all goes to heck, they think every breeder is that way. Education is the only way to stop people from buying from these types of breeders. So before I get off my soapbox. If the price of the horse doesn't include all of the paperwork in order, don't buy the horse.

Sorry had to edit, you left out one important answer, None of the above, thats how I would vote.

MiniMomNC, just wish I had written what you had written because everything you said is so true and it's the newbies who don't fully understand everything who get burned and then they have a horse they love so they are stuck. Wish there was a double like button for your answer.

Sorry had to edit, you left out one important answer, None of the above, thats how I would vote.
You wouldn't buy any weanling/yearling then?!
default_smile.png
I think you misunderstood the intent of the pricing description too? Every horse we buy--every horse on the market--falls into one of the poll categories.
The poll would have been better without the pricing description as that is just confusing people.

Latest posts

Back