Would there be any interest?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitty

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day and I AM NOT a trainer and have NO desire to be one. I am the happy stall cleaner and bad clipper here at our farm. BUT I MAY know of someone who would
default_rolleyes.gif

But many times I have questions or would like a horse evaluated and know many trainers don't have time or if you are not a client don't know who you are and are hesitant to give you honest advise.

Would there be any interest in having a professional trainer for a flat sum a month- say $25-50 give clients advise on conditioning, following the progress of the conditioning by pictures and emails and any other questions the person may have. You would be allowed so many emails for the flat sum and extra as needed. If would have to be paid in advance of course
default_biggrin.png

This helps out those who can't afford a trainer or really want to train themselves but need the extra help. Or new people that don't know where to go or who to ask.

This is a whole new idea and I am just curious as to what people think. Everything else is online now why not a advise trainer???

OK tell me your thoughts and ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some trainers can do this... and i have friends that sometimes we send YouTube videos of the horses working and offer suggestions.

The problem is, there are some things that have to be done in person... but not a bad idea! You could at least get some stuff done this way...

Andrea

I would like it if some of the more notable trainers did this during their "off season" if they could. I know personally I like having someone to teach me things so I can apply them to all of my horses instead of sending a horse away and not knowing how to get the horse how to do the desired task.

I would definately jump on the band wagon as an "online client" if trainers would be interested in doing so - maybe not even the more notable trainers - anyone who is good at what they do and do it with safety in mind.

A very interesting idea! Of course, any advice given is only as good as how it is applied! Its something that I would consider participating in.

Depending on the expertise of the trainer.......AND how the site was handled, I would think it could mushroom into something very popular.

There are few miniature show horses here , and I havnt found a miniature trainer yet. But show season is over , and I have found a woman with an arena, 2 towns over and down the mountain, and a jumping trainer that gives seminars out of this arena with TB. I am taking my horse there for some suggestions on comformation, training , and conditioning even though these women dont have minis. I think I can also pay to use this arena 2 or 3 hours a week this spring. So, there are ways to get help with your horse , you just have to be creative and persistant in finding help. I think the "on -line " thing is a good idea... but if you have comformation problems its better to watch the horse in person. I have asked several people how to condition a horse without using a round pen on forums , because of comformation problems , I dont want to add strain on the knees by going in circles.... No one seems to have an idea of how to condition ...add muscle mass...other than to bulk them up in food. So YES we definatly need someone with basic knowledge on horses body structure , comformation , and conditioning. Good Idea!!

Krissy,

The only way not to strain joints is to swim. A deep and CLEAN pond or swimming pool. We have an equine rehabilitation center in our area with an equine pool. I haven't used it, but have though about it. If that's not feasable, then I suggest joint supplements, maybe speak with your vet regarding joint injections, a golf cart for trotting up and down your road.

To some extent the forums already offer this service for free, but of course the credentials of those replying are hard to verify. I think if done right it could certainly be interesting! It would almost have to involve some sort of video interface though as still pictures are VERY difficult to judge from. A lot depends on the quality of the photographer rather than the horse itself, as we all know.

krissy3 said:
I have asked several people how to condition a horse without using a round pen on forums , because of comformation problems , I dont want to add strain on the knees by going in circles.... No one seems to have an idea of how to condition ...add muscle mass...other than to bulk them up in food.
Hey now Krissy, I gave you very specific feedback on this issue!
default_laugh.png
So did lots of other people but you never replied.

Leia

Thank you for your thoughts so far. Any ideas or thoughts are more than welcome. This is to help people with showing in which I feel by reading the posts is a much needed and hopefully desired thing. It may help increase the interest in the miniatures as the more involved you are with them the more you realize how great the bred is.

My idea is probably not for a website but for more personalized attention- one on one- by email or possibly mail, fax, phone, ect whatever works for them. This is for people of all levels from who are seriously looking for help but can't find it to someone who just wants alittle extra guidance. And the trainer of course would be one of the best. And if it was to catch on I am sure other trainers would probably take a interest and there is always the possiblity of a clinic or something to tie it all together. This has the freedom to go and expand into many things which is great.

I feel with a website, things can get taken incorrectly and then the problem of being blamed if someone that is not paying the trainer isn't happy ect. And then someone has to be monitoring it all the time for problem posts,ect and that isn't the idea. Maybe a website would work for basic things like ideas or having 3 horses up and judging them with comments on why placed so, ect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure a website would work... I think most communication would have to be via e-mail and telephone (and also possibly over a video host such as YouTube. I can imagine sending digital CDs by mail of videos would also be helpful, so the trainer could see an extended amount of video.

I would be interested in having a "virtual trainer" myself because I cannot bear to have my horses "sent away" and not know 100% what is being done with them. However, outside guidance is always something everyone should be seeking, even if they are already a "professional"... everyone should have mentors of some type or another.

If a person had the time and drive to work with the horse(s) themselves, I imagine a trainer would be happy to charge for just their "expertise" versus spending the time for the "hands on".

Andrea

Latest posts

Back