World Show Funding Re-Instated

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wrote to all of the directors prior to the phone vote...heard back from 2 of them. 1 is "my" director and I'm pleased to say that I do know how "my" director voted--the other is a director from another area and from her reply I can guess how she voted. From the others--dead silence.

There is to be discussion in March about the OSF show, and I believe there are other people putting together proposals for funding for other shows...I think some are going to be very surprised at just how many AMHR/ASPC state fair shows there actually are, and how many funding requests there are going to be... if some of you think that limiting the funding to only those state fairs that offer Shetland classes as well as AMHR classes is going to mean that almost no shows outside of the OSF will get money, I think you'll be in for a surprise. There are more than you think...I very much doubt that each show is going to get $8000 or $10000, because that would probably empty the coffers in one season.

I'm tired of hearing about what a wonderful promotional opportunity this show is--with all the other breeds, and all the spectators, not to mention the wonderful facility... At our Provincial Exhibition show in 2008 the show area was packed with people...people from other breeds, general public including many non-horse people....we had kids galore, I had parents taking photos of my horses with their kids in front of the horse...people asking about buying (though I had none for sale)--I've actually never seen so many people come through the barns at any other show I've been to, and I've been to a few....well before this OSF issue came to light there was interest in adding ASPC classes to our show in 2009, and as this is an area that has very few American Shetlands I think there's going to be a lot of interest in the breed...and even though there are few American Shetlands in the immediate area there are owners from elsewhere that are expressing an interest in showing here...the promotional opportunity is huge here...since a Provincial Exhibition is the Canadian equivalent of a State Fair...and our show facility is as good as you'll find anywhere....yeah, we count too!

No, I don't expect our Provincial Exhibition to get an $8000 handout, but I do hope that if the BOD is going to discuss funding for one & all that the OSF will get cut back to match whatever amount is given to the other state fair shows...

I still find it absurd that they'd spend so much on this one show that isn't truly a "national" show (we already have Nationals and Congress for our registry..THOSE are the big shows).

Personally would rather see that money distributed fairly..even if they had a random drawing every year for which show's got special "extra" funding. just think even if 10 show's got an extra $1K a year how that could help keep these show's going and it rotated yearly or what not..

$8-10K on one show when no one else is getting extra funding is truly not a very fair prospect when the membership looks at it.

I'm not saying this show should end.. or even that they should withdraw all the funding but that is truly a lot of money on a show that is nothing but a "fair" show (which isn't even truly a fair show..it's before the fair..lol).

Okay for those who didn't go look up the OSF show book that was listed on page 6 - the OSF in all fairness has the miniature classes as well. So, even though I still do not support the money, points and title of the show, I am looking at this with a more fair minded look, I took the time to weed through the 19 page show bill.

And I will agree, miniatures do carry most shows, local and regional. As a past show manager I looked at it this way - the judges are already there, the show staff is already there, the facilities have already been rented - why not add in the Shetland, Show Pony and N. Show Pony classes. They will come if it is offered. It doesn't cost anymore to have them. And if a class is empty, the show moves forward anyways. IT DOESN"T HURT TO CARRY BOTH SIDES OF THE CLASS LIST!!!

I think we need to stop picking apart what is wrong and start working together to put it into a light that can work, for all parties. The mention of moving up the other state fair points to triple points does add attraction to me loading up my ponies and heading to the state fair, if our state fair offered AMHR/ASPC classes.

On the budget issue, it is set for 2009. Hope they don't go over the allotted budget this year, but we aren't going to get the BOD to move on that IMHO. So we are beating something that is set in stone to death.

On the TITLE - this is tough, its not a National level show - but someone that isn't biased and has the facts of why it was named the WORLD show, it would be nice to hear from them, why is it titled the WORLD show?

So instead of beating this to death, now I am looking to see what we can change to make it positive......

Do you think that we have a right to know how our directors voted?

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I picked up a copy of the buget. Joe passed them out at Convention. It is kind of hard to understand and there are things that are not in yet like foals reg. And they said that we are still in good shape. But things are not as good as they were and thousands go out for this and thousands for that. I mean really big money. My worst fear is that the Registry will run out of money. Registrations are down and office work is how we make money. I know lots of people that are not registering horses anymore and not breeding nearly as many.

We have to save for a rainy day. We may need that money to pay staff and do the basics until things get a little better and I think they will.

So I hope clubs and shows aren't all in there grabbing for money. I don't know maybe I'm just getting old and stingy. Renee

I have been checking for updates. Is there anyway to find out how directors actually voted on this and other issues?

Don't own any ponies, so maybe I shouldn't have an opinion. But I do
default_laugh.png

The Congress is THE important show of the two. I'm really, really shocked to hear such a large amount is going to the "world show" when we have such financial issues with supporting Congress to its fullest. I'm all for cutting the funding. Unless there's more to the story, and there usually is, it seems totally excessive to me. JMO.

default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back