World Futurity Paybacks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indian Peaks

Reaction score
It is that time of year again to nominate your outstanding stallions and mares for the AMHA World Show Futurity! The deadline for forms is January 15, 2011. You can access the stallion and mare nomination forms at: http://www.amha.org/...asp?KeyName=314

Pay backs were over $62,000 in 13 classes with an additional 15% paid to the stallion owners! The Amateur and AOTE Futurity entries were up in 2010 and we hope this trend will continue in the future! Our favorite part of the AMHA Futurity is the AOTE & Amatuer classes offered!

We have found the futurity is a great way to help pay for World Show expenses or get a kick back on the purchase price of a futurity nominated horse! In 2010, all 1st place futurity winners also received an AMHA World Champion jacket! Way cool!

If you have any questions about the AMHA Futurity, please post.

Thanks

John Bennett

AMHA Futurity Committee

PS-Be kind, this is my first time posting!

I say YAY for the AMHA futurity! They do a great job putting this together and it is wonderful to get a payback check to help with show expenses!

I showed at Worlds for the first time in 2010, after being a spectator for 3 previous years, and the AOTE and Ammy futurity were my first experience in the big ring! We came home with all top tens and I was thrilled!! I got my checks a short time after we returned home from Texas and I can tell you I was very pleased with the payouts!

I just did all my paperwork and sent in my stallion and 4 mare nominations for 2011!!

Thanks John and the futurity committee for all your work:)

That's great - I just wish it was a little less expensive to nominate.

This has peaked my interest. OK, I am new to this Futurity stuff could someone explain it in simple terms? Thanks in advance!

I will give this a try!

1. Nominate your stallion using the stallion nomination form - cost $200

2. Nominate your bred mares, using the mare nomination form - cost $50 per mare

3. When the foal is born, include the yearling futurity form with the foals registration - Free - you will receive the foals papers back stamped "Nominated for Yearling Futurity"

4. When the foal is a yearling, entered them in either Open, Amateur or AOTE Futurity class that you choose. There is no qualifying required to enter these classes. They are offered for mares, stallions and geldings.

5. Go the Worlds and have fun!

6. Cash your check

John

I will give this a try!

1. Nominate your stallion using the stallion nomination form - cost $200

2. Nominate your bred mares, using the mare nomination form - cost $50 per mare

3. When the foal is born, include the yearling futurity form with the foals registration - Free - you will receive the foals papers back stamped "Nominated for Yearling Futurity"

4. When the foal is a yearling, entered them in either Open, Amateur or AOTE Futurity class that you choose. There is no qualifying required to enter these classes. They are offered for mares, stallions and geldings.

5. Go the Worlds and have fun!

6. Cash your check

John

So if I have a bred mare I can nominate her but do I or the stallion owner need to nominate the stallion? And for this year needs to be done by 1/15/2011, for resulting foal to be eligible its yearling year?

You are correct, the stallion needs to be nominated. If you do not own the stallion, it would have to be done with permission of the owner. We futurity nominated a bred mare this year, and we do not own the stallion. The stallion was nominated by his owner. We only breed to futurity nominated stallions, as we see this as a bonus!

Nominations received 1/15/2011 for foals born in 2011 - they will show in 2012.

John

Thank you for posting this information. I have been seriously thinking about it and wasn't sure how to go about doing it.

More questions/observations...if one would want to breed a mare this year to a futurity nominated stallion how would one go about finding such a stallion? And is the 200.00 stallion fee a one time fee or fee per mare? Is this futurity only for the yearling year? I could see where this could be a purchase incentive for a buyer. Of course just like everything else with horses one would have to weigh the cost involved with the price recieved for such foal. This is something to give some good thought to for my future endeavors!

More questions/observations...if one would want to breed a mare this year to a futurity nominated stallion how would one go about finding such a stallion? And is the 200.00 stallion fee a one time fee or fee per mare? Is this futurity only for the yearling year? I could see where this could be a purchase incentive for a buyer. Of course just like everything else with horses one would have to weigh the cost involved with the price recieved for such foal. This is something to give some good thought to for my future endeavors!

The $200 stallion fee is per year with no limit on the number of mares you can nominate for that stallion. How to find a futurity nominated stallion is a very good question. The Futurity Committee is working on getting a list of stallions posted on the AMHA website. It used to be posted in the Miniature Horse World magazine, and we are going to try and get this information published again. Yes, this is a yearling only futurity.

This definitely a purchase incentive, we try only to buy futurity nominated foals because you can get a kick back on the purchase price.

John

John you will have to correct me if I am wrong but isn't there also a performance futurity when the foal turns 3-4 which you can pay extra nominations for?

John you will have to correct me if I am wrong but isn't there also a performance futurity when the foal turns 3-4 which you can pay extra nominations for?

Yes there is a performance futurity but it is seperate from the halter futurity so nominations are also seperate.

Oh I see so any horse is eligable for performance regardless of yearling futurity nominations you just have to pay different rates depending on age you nominate! But at the same time I will have to say I'm not sure that performance is more affordable, if you wait past 6 months of age to nominate for performance the fee is the same and goes way up after that. So if you nominate a stallion and multiple mares or breed to an already nominated stallion you are ahead of the game.

IMO both futurities are very well put together and allow you to earn paybacks in your area of interest! I also really like the idea of breeders using the futurity nomination of their stallions to promote breeding programs, it is a win win for people looking to buy foals or have their mares bred. Really if you think about it 200 is not bad if you can get 3+ mares Bred and nominated out of that stallion!

John, I think the cost is prohibitive for the average breeder. I used to participate in the Futurity, but the cost has gone up substantially since then.

My personal feeling is that lowering the cost for stallion and mare nominations would actually increase the number of nominations, which would increase the money in the futurity. The number of futurity entries would increase at the World show bringing in more exhibitors which would likely increase the number of entries in other classes. It would be a win-win situation for both AMHA and owners.

John, I think the cost is prohibitive for the average breeder. I used to participate in the Futurity, but the cost has gone up substantially since then.

My personal feeling is that lowering the cost for stallion and mare nominations would actually increase the number of nominations, which would increase the money in the futurity. The number of futurity entries would increase at the World show bringing in more exhibitors which would likely increase the number of entries in other classes. It would be a win-win situation for both AMHA and owners.

I agree. The AMHR futurity is $25 per stallion, and $5 per mare. My filly's class had over 50 entries.

I agree. The AMHR futurity is $25 per stallion, and $5 per mare. My filly's class had over 50 entries.

I've never participated in the AMHR futurity but if I'm not mistaken there is no comparison between the two payouts. Seems to me I got $1000 for Raven's reserve win and several hundred for my other mare that placed like 8th in the same class. Also, if you win and have a good enough horse to place in the grand class (open or ammy) the payback is several thousand. For ONE class. I realize only 2 horses place in a grand class, but wow, that pays for your entire world show.

For $400, you can nominate your stallion and FOUR mares. I think that's pretty good.

Sorry. One more thought.

I decided a while back I wouldn't purchase a foal unless it was AMHA futurity nominated and I also wouldn't pay for a breeding to an outside stallion unless he is A futurity nominated. If Butter is bred, the stallion is nominated and I'm paying the $50 fee for Butter even though I don't know if she's bred or not. For $50 bucks and being confident in the quality that the stallion and butter can produce, it's a worthy gamble. The stallion I chose to send Raven to in the spring is A futurity nominated and that had a part in my decision. Although this particular stallion I would have done it even if he wasn't.
default_wink.png

We have had AMHA Futurity horses in years past, and there were a couple of years the Futurity payout came pretty close to paying for our show. I think it's a great program! The payout of course depends on the number of horses in a particular class, and it seems the best way to generate more interest / more entries would be to offer some incentive in the way of reduced fees. I would love to see more futurity nominations and larger classes. In a time when folks are breeding less though, I think the program will need to be creative in attracting more nominations and class entries.

Didn't mean to digress, lots of good clear information in your posts. I think that's part of the issue in attracting new people to it is just giving them a good understanding of how it works. A list of nominated stallions (and later nominated yearlings) in the World again would be helpful, alongside a page of "futurity how to's". I liked seeing the entire list and realizing how many horses were nominated, even though not all make it to World.
default_smile.png
Just my 2 cents.

Jan

It's more then the R to nominate but correct me if I'm wrong 400 to win in the R and 2800 to win the A futurity. I will be nominating mine. Thanks for the reminder John.

Latest posts

Back