With the economy the way it is

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic

Reaction score
I was just wondering, since the economy in such a slump, are any of you changing what you do this year with your horses? I've been reading auction reports and though I have never sent a horse to auction and never plan to, it does give an idea of the state of the horse world, and it's not pretty right now. :DOH!

I didn't have any problem selling horses last year, and I've had interest in my horses this year before I've begun to advertise them, but I've decided to breed for just a few foals next year. I'll be breeding for what I'd like to keep. We have 19 mares of breeding age (three and over, and not counting the older retired mare) and I've decided to breed just four or five mares. The more experienced mares will get time off. I want to do more showing, haven't done much to any of that for a couple of years, and promote miniatures to people who don't yet have any.

Are you going to do something different this year?

We're expecting four foals this year and will probably consign one or two to the N. TX Pony Sale. This sale has a great reputation with the ponies and many of the ponies sold thru it end up in the show arena. I'll also be lowering my asking prices this year as well. I'm not doing all of this just because of the economy but also due to some family changes that will happening later this summer/fall. I just didn't forsee these new plans last year during breeding season. We'll only be breeding two mares this year and only to our Sweepstakes stallion.

We have no foals this year and had one surprise foal last year (a loud palomino near leopard appy surprise)
default_smile.png
The sire was vet checked sterile and is now gelded but he obviously had enough for one last foal in him lol.

We have 9 minis of those 4 are mares. One is my driving mare who I do not see myself ever breeding and we will be showing this year. The other is the dam of surprise foal and she is older, going blind and will not be bred again leaving me with 2 mares one of who never shows when she is in. She came in one time and had a foal 4 years ago. The other seems to settle and comes back in again a couple months later so seeing that I have 2 difficult mares and do not want a foal bad enough for medical intervention while we may try for one foal for 2010 to keep odds are not in our favor
default_wink.png

We will continue to focus on adding training to the horses we have and getting them out there in the performance ring. Most do not plan on having horses they bred go to auctions and sometimes the breeders just do not know but I think the more training a horse has on them the better chances they have

Last edited by a moderator:
We didn't breed for any foals this year (or last year). The market sucks right now. We gelded everything and retired our older broodmare. I've had a nice mare for sale since last August. She was sold twice, but then the sale fell through both times. So I'll just continue to market her to thin down the herd some. I only have 8, but hubby wants it down to 6 before I can get my Modern Pleasure pony.
default_wacko.png

As far as showing goes, I'm only taking the ones that can do everything. Saves money not having to spend $45 on a stall for the event when they are only showing halter (which isn't my favorite class anyways). So I have a mare ready to be trained for driving. But due to the weather, I don't think she'll make the first show since training has been put on hold. So my first show I only plan on taking 2 horses that can do everything for me. I'm also cutting back as far as traveling. We're only hitting the local shows (although I would love to hit Washington and Montana, but I doubt that will happen this year).

I have faith that the economy is going to improve!
default_smile.png
I'm breeding 4 mares this year....but I do a very short breeding season as I like them to foal out before show season starts. So, if they take great, if not that's okay too. I'm still going to my "normal" shows.....the clubs need our support too! I only have a few mini's for sale and if they sell great....if not I'll hang on to them. I really think that mini's are going to become more popular as they're less expensive to keep and maintain and us "horse-crazy" people still get to have a horse.
default_laugh.png

Well, I HOPE what is different is that we have some live foals and maybe something to sell....

Agreeing with Sedah (as usual!) we are trying to do as much as possible to promote minis to people with big horses. In this tough economy, why not emphasize the lower expense of upkeep compared with big horses? Especially when our emphasis is on performance and versatility. This means (for us) continuing to show at Pinto shows, where we know a few members who want minis, and also doing some driving events. There are several mini owners in the driving club we joined this year, and we have already taken one of our minis to a CDE clinic. We hope to do an ADS Pleasure Driving show with another driving club for even more exposure. Hey, if nothing else, we plan to have FUN, which is the whole idea.

We read the tea leaves years ago and had already reduced our herd down to 5. My two mini mares appear to be in foal but I may not breed them back this year. We sold our last mini stallion & I can't see paying for breedings for what you get out of the foals in this economy......... Over the winter we acquired a b/w mare that we were going to keep and breed but have decided to sell her instead... I don't have much faith in our leaders to turn things around with the insane things they have done recently & talks of more to come!

I still have the same steady job as last year (thank God!) and the shows don't cost any more than before so my plans are pretty much the same. With gas half the price of the last couple of years I was actually considering a few NEW shows too but I've missed a lot of work recently due to illness so I think I'll add Oregon Gold as planned and skip the new CDE in Spokane. I just can't afford the additional time off work on top of the pricey entry fee, extra health paperwork and 9+ hour drive. I shouldn't be doing Oregon Gold either, but....
default_unsure.png

I'm definitely feeling the financial pinch of rising feed costs for my big horse and deal with it by pretty much never buying anything for myself but there's no helping that since he's unquestionably not for sale. (At 32 years old, he's EARNED his retirement!) I just wince, live paycheck to paycheck and try to pay down my existing credit card debt like a good girl.
default_rolleyes.gif
I can't imagine having multiple horses showing in this economy though. I think it would definitely affect my choices with more horses being left at home or taken out of training and no question of any breeding to sell if that was what I was into. Like Keri I'd be focusing on my all-around horses and leaving any halter-only young stock at home except for local shows I could haul in to without stalling.

Times are tough, no question! I feel lucky to be escaping the worst of it.
default_pray.gif

Keri said:
I'm also cutting back as far as traveling. We're only hitting the local shows (although I would love to hit Washington and Montana, but I doubt that will happen this year).
Keri, are you SURE you don't want to come to Washington just this once??
default_biggrin.png
We could have so much fun!

Leia

If we could get a carpool going, I'd love to come! But I don't think anyone locally is headed that way. It was discussed with a friend, but we decided against it since she's hitting a montana show with her hubby as an anniversary vacation. Love to see all the nice ponies! Maybe next year when I have my classic driving I'll try to plan a trip. Don't think I can talk hubby into hauling me, 2 horses, our 2 year old son on a 14+hour car ride one way to a show (well, not just yet anyways).
default_laugh.png

I originally planned to purchase either a yearling or 2yo to show halter, then an older performance horse, but we ended up deciding to go with an older all around horse.

I'm also only doing shows within a 3.5 hour drive from home.

I usually only breed for 3 to 4 foals a year anyhow. All of last years foals sold. I have already sold the newborn colt this year, am keeping one filly for sure, and have a mare and 2 yr old filly for sale, but it's not a must- I would just like to lighten the load with all the family health things going on. I have one weanling filly for sale with or without her mama... and one more foal due, so am not doing badly here. I will never take one to an auction (we know the type, not the nice sales/auctions for Minis that are not local meat buyer ones) and don't ever intend to. I will keep them first.

Our R shows here this year never came to be, but had planned on showing there- however will probably not head back to Nationals for another year or two I dont think. It just depends. So no shows this year due to health things, the economy and I just dont feel comfortable going far from home right now in case another health emergency comes up.

I am breeding four mares back for next year- also breeding what I would not mind keeping and my old stud is 19 this year, so dont know how much more opportunity I will have to get a filly or two from him to keep.

Not really changing a lot, but this is the first year since I can remember that I won't be showing- at least at a local level.

About the only thing we changed this year is the number of shows we are going to this year. Not for any economic reasons, but rather we were just a little tired after 9 years of steady campaigning at 12 - 15 shows a year and then Nationals/World shows. It was quite a grind and we decided to take a year off. Well that is not happening as all the grandkids and Cindy are having withdrawal symptoms. We currently are planning on going to at least 2- 5 shows the first being the combination AMHA/AMHR show in San Antonio. From there then the Conroe show and several others.
default_no.gif

As far as sales are concerned, we sold all of the babies we wanted to sell last year and from the inquiries we expect it to be the same this year. The good babies brought decent money and the average horses were harder to sell. But with a little work placing them in the right situation they sold also.
default_yes.gif

So as far as breeding is concerned we are doing about the same as we did last year and do not see any change in our plans. With the exception of doing the standard culling and selection process, bloodline crosses and addition of new bloodlines/individuals as needed things will remain the same. I have my eye on two new additions to the herd and hope that works out for us.
default_aktion033.gif

Hey John, I think the Conroe show is before the San Antonio show (unless you're talking about AMHA - then I know nothing).

We aren’t changing too much this year from years past. We are committed and will continue to breed to improve the mini appaloosa type, but just like everyone else, we’ve felt the financial crunch. We are doing less advertising, cutting back on the number of shows we’re able to attend, and mindful to try not to bite off more than we can chew.

We are breeding our pride and joy “Catch” for the first time this year and he covered his first mare (Reserve World Champion mare “Latte”) this week! We're already looking forward to next spring!

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Have only 4 mares for breeding this year, & (one yearling which we kept back for future breeding.)

Our herd is just right for us, 5 mares, 1 gelding and 1 stud.

Now we are going to let nature take its course, Rowdy our 27.750" stallion is having some fun learning, how to get the job done correct and how to respect the girls.

He was 3 in March this year, and we do believe he might have covered his first filly.
default_risa8.gif

We have not done any hand breeding yet, did not want to early of a baby, but he has had fun trying.

The mares are sure teaching him who is really boss, but this little guy thinks he is some stud.

Funny watching him courting the girls.

Will start hand breeding when the next one comes into heat.

Last year was hoping for 3 foals from our stud we sold late fall and might be lucky to have one.

So nature here takes control not us.
default_wacko.png

As far as showing we do pick and choose which ones are best to go too.

We used to go to about 10 shows now down to about 5

We did take 5-6 horses Now,

thinking of 3-4 horses.

As far as buying horses there are 2 that I want. I will most likely only get one. I have 1 for sale but will not budg on his price (he is going to be a super driving horse and I want to show him). As for showing, since I can not show in Ammi since I have been training a horse so, Jessie will be showing in youth. We can get our horses out there infront of the public for about 1/2 the price.

I haven't been doing much the last few years so comparatively I suppose I will be doing the same as I did in 2008 - planning on breeding 2 or 3 of my mares if my stallion is ready. If not, then we wait. I will not be breeding more than I can keep and show, I do plan on selling a couple babies if possible next year but if they stay that's not a problem. I have been taking advantage of the economy this past year by buying some really nice (imo) horses.

At this point in time I don't plan on changing a thing. You never know though when I will get the itch to make another purchase.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back