Wirey mane

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim P

Reaction score
How can I tame Patty's mane. It is always wirey and kinky. I would like to just comb something through it. We did not do so well bathing. It was rather stressful for the both of us. I have only bathed her once and that was shortly after I had gotten her. I just brush her really well. I tried that mane and tail spray detangler but it did not do so well and seemed to make it greasy and just attract more dirt.

If you go to your local feed store Horse supply store you should be able to find some leave/brush in conditioner spray.

If you can get it imported or find it over there I recommend "Black Caviar" it was named after one of our greatest ever racehorses that recently retired.

And yes she now has her own beauty range,

One of my little ones manes was like that so I cut (pulled) it short and thinned it a little. Grew back a treat !!!

You should be able to find some videos on the correct way to "pull" a horses mane.

I use a dog slicker brush on my minis manes and tails. (works great as a curry comb to get mud off too). It doesn't pull the hair out like a comb or brush. Hold the mane or tail above where you are brushing and work from the bottom up. I also Cowboy Magic detangler ( I get the tube) it's the best for getting tangles out and shine Vetrolin spray detangle/shine/conditioner works good too for in between times and you can use it on their body also. Some manes are just wiry and kinky, just like people have different hair types. Good luck!
default_saludando.gif

First of all is his hair damaged? Or is it just natural? If its damaged then I would trim it short and then let it grow out. If it can grow out with you caring and nurturing it, then it should look amazing. But if its his natural, then condition and repeat. I have been grooming dogs, cats, and horses for over 10 years. My mom has owned a salon for over 35. Mane and tail conditioner works wonders for replenishing dry hair. But don't over do it. There is also a protein foam. But it's from Chris Christiansen. So it's a bit pricey. But I use that on my girls, and its amazing. Gives volume and shine along with rapid growth. As much as it is stressful non of the oils and spays work on dirty hair, so the mane needs to be washed first
default_sad.png
. I use dawn as my base shampoo when my girls are really dirty. When ever you strip the coat of oils you need to put them back in. This is a must. Hope this helps. Oh and if it is going alllll over there are mane tamers you wrap on there necks to train the hair.

Last edited by a moderator:
For many years, I've used a mixture of 1/2 Listerine + 1/2 mineral oil. You don't have to wash it out, and it worked like a charm on my show horses as well.

Just an idea.
default_whistling.gif

Back