Windows Vista or Windows XP

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherokee Rose

Reaction score
Good Morning everyone
default_saludando.gif
I have a question I'm thinking about getting a new computer and I was wondering what you all think of the Windows Vista...verses the Windows XP . I have Windows XP right now and was just wondering wither I should switch or not
default_unsure.png

By all means stay away from Windows Vista if you have a choice. MS has had thousands of complaints about Vista and glitches and problems. It slows your system down dramatically. My husband is running Vista on his laptop which has a faster microprocessor then mine I am running XP and I can access the internet within seconds his takes at least 2-3 minutes to access. So unless you like to sit in front of your computer picking your fingernails while you wait for Vista to access a program I would say go XP all the way. One other problem with Vista is a lot of the older programs are not compatible with Vista.

Just my very Honest Opinion.

OMG...NO on the VISTA...crap as far as I am concerned. We have two puters...One with XP (it is great) and my New laptop with Vista that I paid Boo-Hoo bucks for and is not compatible with anything...it is a joke
default_new_rofl.gif
I took it back to see if they could FIX some of the issues (geek squad) and they wanted another 250.00 bucks to TRY and fix the problems (which they knew all along- their was a guy standing nx to me with the same issues) I have only owned it 3 months and have about 1500.00 of hard earned money into something that is crap(sorry had to vent)

Last edited by a moderator:
Vista is horrid and evil. A bunch of programs won't even work with it and hard to get compatitble programs for it without paying out bunches of money.

I have not had ONE problem with my new HP Vista desktop, i've had it since back just before christmas. I looooooooove it and my mom is thinking about buying a HP Vista Laptop.

I installed all my old programs onto this computer with no problem, printer, all kinds of things. My Vista is fast, it hasnt slowed down anything. I use to have a dell XP (actually i had 4 or 5 :DOH! before i wised up and went HP) and that thing was slow from the day i took it out of the box and just a pain in the butt.

I've been using Windows Vista Home Premium on the new laptop I got last September. Honestly, I like it A LOT. A couple of my old programs, and one of my printers at the office, will not work with it but really, I don't expect the old stuff to last indefinitely. I've been very happy with it.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium on my laptop. It is okay but a lot of my old programs and my printer either won't work or have some sort of trouble working with it. I have heard a lot of complaints about Vista, in fact a guy who fixes computers said XP is better. He has some million dollar software that doesn't work on Vista. So I think if I were you I'd go with XP.

I forgot to mention that in addition to the laptop I use (for home and the office), I also bought 2 additional laptops with Windows Vista on it for my employees to use. "We" like it very well.

I have Vista on my laptop and I would definitely say stay with Windows XP!! Vista is annoying

and definitely not any improvement, IMO.

Your other items, such as printer and scanner may not be compatible with the Vista.

My sister had to buy both new.

Shelley

Put me on the XP list...I got a new computer and refused to let them put Vista in it...
default_laugh.png

If you want to easily be able to do anything with your computer....stay away from Vista.

I have it on this laptop...and what a major pain in the backside it is.

I have had Vista since the day it came out, it was on the new laptop I bought. I have to say I have a love/hate relationship with it. I hate how slow it is, but love most features, haven't had compatibility problems with software, but had a terrible time getting on my work email until I found out there is this little checkbox that has to be unchecked.....

I also cannot get any of Marestare's webcasts, so have to use my old XP desktop.

I would say for now, stick to XP.

For those of you who find it slow, do you have a small amount of memory on the computer? I remember someone before saying that makes Vista go "too" slow. It runs fast on my laptop and I don't think it's anything special in terms of memory (1918 mb's is what it says in the system part of the control panel). Anytime I get a new laptop, I actually just go get one of the less expensive (Toshiba usually) ones at Circuit City and use it a couple-few years and then get another.

The only programs that wouldn't work for me was an old version of MS Publisher (which I really needed to upgrade anyway, and did) and an animated gif program from 2002 that I had been using all these years (and have replaced w/ a $20 similar program). The printer at the office that wouldn't work was a higher end color laser printer, but that is out of half a dozen laser printers I have in the print room.

Marestare feeds have been working great for me. I'm nto sure if that's the same as their webcasts? WebX meetings that I do for my job have also worked fine.

I bought this laptop configured for Vista, plenty of memory, and two processors.

I can get the marestare foal watch feeds, but not the auctions.

I haven't tried the auctions yet, so will have to try and check that out. When I bought this laptop, it was to replace one where I'd broken the screen and couldn't get it to stay up and had a presentation to do. I had to go out almost last minute to get this one and was fully prepared to hate Vista based on all I've heard BUT it turns out I like it a lot.

The auctions / events on mare stare actually run smoother in my computer then the foaling cams. For the events its almost like sitting there watching, for the foaling cams it pauses every 3 seconds.
default_laugh.png

I have netzero highspeed dial up (its very high speed on this computer HP Vista, on my old dell it was the slowest thing you can imagine).

When I got my new computer, the only thing available was Vista.
default_sad.png
I didn't have a choice. Since then, they have made XP available again, as they discovered there were some problems with Vista. I personally like my Vista.
default_yes.gif
The only thing that wasn't compatible was my scanner, which was old anyway. It's not any slower than my XP was...but I'm on dial-up and ANY program I use is going to be slow.

I must admit I have been a -NAY- sayer since Vista came out, but when I went to get this brand new laptop from Dell, then I ordered it with Vista and it runs like a dream, I won't even look back.

Yes it wont run with old "crap" just like most other computer technology, they are backward compatible to a certain degree. They can't keep sticking to old technology, they have to move on, update your programs and 10 year old printers and scanners and what not.

Most programs will run if you set compatability to WinXp sp2 and run as administrator (right click the program and change the settings).

The new Internet Explorer really explores the internet instead of just exploding which is quite nice.

If you plan on running Vista then get atleast 2 gigs of ram (2048 MB) with shared graphics memory that will be a bit less but still useable.

So by all means get Vista on a new machine, WinXP is dying. You might have to update some programs (if you do, you should have updated anyways even running on XP) and some old printers and such.

Latest posts

Back