Wild Mustangs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunQuest

Reaction score
Well, this weekend they had some wild mustangs at the BLM adoption center. I was amazed by how much the mustangs have improved over the last 20 years. When I first visited the center well over 20 years ago, I remember thinking that these horses were great, but how extremely different that they were compared to show animals. I remember thinking that none of them would ever make it in the show world and that the horses were just kind of ugly compared to show horses.

Well, I can honestly say that I was amazed by how much better the quality was of this group of horses than what I saw 20 years ago. In fact, I was so wanting a few of them badly. They had several really nice mares and yearling and 2 year olds that I would have loved to have adopted, but alas, I only have wire fences so adoption is out.

But, I will say that there were 2 stallions that I would have taken above all others there. I just couldn't figure out how to get them as no fences that we have would hold them. Sigh. Good thing! They would have made the most spectacular geldings IMO and they would have no problem lugging my big fat rear end around. And good gosh! Look at those feet! That is what great feet should look like IMO and remindes me of the disservice that we do to our "show" horses with the petite hoofs. And it was great to see that there were no table top backs in this group and that the tails rounded off of the rump in a nice manner which conveyed pure power. These horses were built for survival for sure! And these were the culls that the BLM officials decided shouldn't be left to roam.

I didn't take many pictures, only about 6 or so total. Only going to post 4 pictures as the other 2 really are not good due to being overexposed (Had no choice but to shoot into the sun and it created issues with trying to get the horse exposed correctly) Here are pictures of the 2 stallions that I fell in love with and a foal that was born in the middle of the night and was only 12 hours old. That foal was so amazingly strong and looked more steady than most of the foals that I have seen of the same age.

The first 2 pictures are of a 3 year old palomino stallion. This guy is built like a tank and remindeds me of the build that our Appy has and he had no problem clearing a 5 foot fence when he was in his prime during his hunter/jumper days. You can tell that this guy was fairly dominant as look at the abuse he has taken from other horses.

e7efedfc.jpg

e7efedf3.jpg

This guy is a 2 year old stallion. He was narrower in the chest in the palomino, but wow, he is going to mature into one heck of a gorgeous horse. Would love to have this guy in my barn as a gelding.

e7efedea.jpg

And this last picture. It was a very lucky day for us. When we arrived we saw this in a very large pen with no other horses in it. The BLM officials confirmed it for me. This foal was born in the middle of the night and was less than 12 hours old. This mare was so much better looking in person. And the foal was incredible. Again, I would give these two a home is I could have.

e7efede2.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the pictures and if you have a mustang post pictures on this thread (Please!)

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to have a BLM Mustang. She was 13 something hands and could lug my almost 200lb husband around like nothing. She was a blast to ride-but very picky about her owners. I could ride her but not handle her...my husband though could do anything with her! He misses her! Boy and you want to talk about an easy keeper??? SHe looked AWESOME year round and had the strongest hooves you had ever seen. I would definately buy one again...in a heartbeat.

Wow! Breath taking. Thanks for sharing. They are a picture of beauty

Latest posts

Back