Why Minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainWoman

Reaction score
I was wondering if you would like to share how you got into minis in the first place. I came back to riding horses in my 50s after years away and found out I couldn't just pick up where I left off. Long story short, bought wrong horse, had a bad accident and realized I wasn't willing to go through that again. I visited a mini horse breeder and really thought they were wonderful but I also thought in the back of my mind, thought they could never take the place of a full size horse. Was I wrong.

As I've had the minis, I've realized just how much they can do. I love working with them. Their willing spirits and their small size makes them ideal for so many different things. We do trick training, we go hiking, I put them in costumes for the holiday and we get out so people can see them and this year, we are going to start working on driving.

For me, it's been a journey to see just how good a trainer I can become and allow these horses to develop their full potential. If you'd asked me 5 years ago about minis, I would have said oh, they are cute but they can't do anything. Wow, was I ever wrong. I've definitely fallen in love with these incredibly talented horses.

Just wondering how you found minis.

The year: 1998. Our local club held a Mini show every year. At that time I owned an Arabian and was also one of the "what do you DO with them ?" crowd. My friend and I decided to go and watch for a bit.

There was this very tall man leading this tiny colt around, laughing his head off...the colt was like a puppet on a string; bouncing, hollering, just being a foal. So I knelt down to see this tiny creature and it RAN INTO MY ARMS! The man says "He's for sale" and I promptly say "I want it!" Several months and time payments later, Mini Ridge Red Man came home. He was good and bad and funny all at the same time. Taught him to drive, jump, obstacle- everything. He was SMART. He did local shows and went to Nationals one year. We did parades.

We acquired several more Minis. A mare and filly, a stallion.A driving gelding. Sold some, including Red (a mistake, I know now. I wish I could get him back) bred some foals.

In 2001 my Arab colicked and I lost him. After his passing, I kinda lost interest in riding, I was never comfortable on anyone else. Sold the big pinto I had to a friend.

In 2004 we moved to Texas. Bought, sold, bred, traded more Minis. Went to shows, won some, lost some and had fun doing it! STILL having fun!

And I think THAT'S why we like them so much! They are FUN. And MUCH safer than the big ones. I have no fear of walking through our field while the 18 mares and geldings come pounding up behind me and then part like the Red Sea around me. No fear of walking through our stallion field that I'm about to get eaten and stomped.

And there is NOTHING like a Mini hug on a bad day. My gelding Sunny will wrap his head and neck around me and hug me when I need it.

I had big horses since 1960, with the last one (Target) boarded at various facilities. He was an unregistered trail horse when we bought him, but at one barn we were taken to a show where someone told me we could get him registered as a Pinto. I also expanded his training from western to English, and then into dressage. So soon we were showing him at PtHA shows in all kinds of classes. Then we finally bought property and brought him home in 2003. Although he was perfectly content by himself, we did look into getting him a companion, and of course it had to be a Pinto! We had seen how much fun the people were having showing their minis at the PtHA shows so the choice was pretty easy. The shock was when we found our first mini, Cowboy, and my husband told the seller we would probably end up with about SIX! (We are at 10 now).

Fast forward a bit to training our first one to drive (not Cowboy). Once I got into driving and realized I could get the same feeling of "connection" and being on the bit that I could get when riding dressage, I found myself riding less and less. I am even taking driving lessons from the same person who taught me dressage on Target! Of course both Target and I were getting older, and I realized way before he died last fall that he would likely be the last horse I ever rode. Why would I want to start over with a new "big" horse when I can get so much enjoyment from driving and showing the minis. And now we just started a 4-H Club and are sharing our enjoyment and knowledge with a wonderful group of kids - and their parents and grandparents!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have loved horses all my life. Unfortunately, from childhood, it didn't look like horses would ever be a *part* of my life. I married a man who disliked horses too, so the door seemed comletely shut at that point.

In late February of 2009, my husband discovered Craigslist and the Farm/garden section. He started coming across adds for miniature horses for sale. One day, he shared with me a posting about a 9 month old black filly. After nearly 20 years of marriage, knowing his feelings about horses, I just commented that she was really cute and walked away.

He kept going back to the add and subsequent updates. After nearly a month of being shown this sweet little face, I was starting to get a little annoyed. Why on earth was he showing me this? We were not going to buy her and I was getting really excited by that little face and it wasn't fair to keep showing her to me. Finally, I told him as much. Put up or shut up, essentially. To my comletely and utter amazement, he put up.

Three years later, we have 6 mares. I am having the time of my life because it truly has been a dream come true. I have so much to learn but am proud of the things my husband and I have accomplished so far. I've said this before, but this adventure was a huge boost to our marriage too. Its hard to explain but it opened up so many windows that had remained closed for far too long as we were so tied up in the everyday work, kids, school, household, bills, merry-go-round of our life. This gives us something to do together which we have actually never had. Unless you count going out to eat!

I've always loved horses. In my younger days, my parents would send me to a riding camp every summer. And even though I was quite the rider, I had never actually had to care for them. Many moons later, and lots of water under the bridge, my hubby and I moved to a small town in Texas, right outside of Fort Worth. We had a place on two acres in a country neighborhood. As luck would have it, there was a mini horse farm right around the corner from us, and which we passed every day on our way to work. That first Spring when the babies were born, I was hooked. We pestered that man frequently and that second Spring, when Fluffy was born I knew he would be mine. I actually reserved him when he was quite young and couldn't actually have him until he was weaned. Hubby and I put in fencing, built a stall, and I had a blast buying all things horsey. I actually interviewed equine vets! I knew Fluffy would need a friend so I purchased another little guy, Spot, in Magnolia, Texas (about four hours away. Bought a mini trailer and drove down to get him. I actually drove back sitting in a lawn chair in the trailer next to him, yes, the entire four hours!! Thankfully it was an enclosed trailer and no one could see me back there. Anyway, now that we are in Kentucky and have lots of land, I have decided that my riding days are probably over. It's pretty far from the back of a full sized horse to the ground and sooner or later, if you ride, you will fall. So I am content with my little guys, although their number has grown to four and I have a mini donkey, also. Presently I am searching for a zebra to run with them. I figure, why not? Anyway, that's my story.

Similar to your experience - I had been riding since I was 4, and had a horrible riding accident. I thought my riding days were over, so I got into minis about 15 years ago. I had a business partnership for 12 years, where we bought, sold and bred minis. However, my need to ride never went away. After a lot of work and some very patient, talented trainers, I am now back to riding and loving it! I still have 2 minis, though. I do not show them and will not breed them - they are just my little companions
default_smile.png

Liz N.

My story is much the same as some others. I had large appaloosas for many years. We raised and showed them. I, too, had some bad horse accidents that landed me in the hospital. I later got re-married to a wonderful man who had never been around horses. While surfing the internet one day, I discovered that miniature horses came in appaloosa patterns. We bought our first mini mare in 2001, and as they say, "the rest is history." LOL Today we enjoy raising a few foals each year, and I would still like to, someday, start showing.
default_yes.gif

Pam

Pretty much the same story here!

I can no longer ride..we lost our last "big horse" years ago..was so sad.

My husband is afraid of large horses..he was never around them as a boy, and warned repeatedly about safety as his father lost a sib to a kick.

One son found an ad for minis for sale..and eventually we checked them out. Fell in love!!

Husband went to see them, and said "they're all you said they are. I love them.."

lol!

Daughter and 5 granddaughters are in heaven..

In school I wanted to be a mini horse breeder.i came across dent ranch,and spent countless hours staring at rhe foals,following their breeding,the foals,everything..i drew and painted horses,i was in love...when I turned 12,my mom bought me a mini mare fo r a pet,i guess so I would quit bugging her...i eat,slept,dreamed horses...i had puddin for 2 yrs till my stepdad traded her for his fourwheeler...i started breaking horses,and thats how I met my husband,he hired me...lol..52 horses later,we had to sell down...i had cancer at 17,& again at 23...a mustang turned bronc and threw me so hard,it broke my metal jaw.i had another su rgery,hip graph to fix it....i am scared to ride again....we started buying minis to have horses,i couldnt just not have a horse....so here we are,i havent been hurt half as bad,and I enjoy them much more than fullsize...i dont think we will ever have another large horse

Feel like I'm preaching to the choir! Our stories are so similar - I got back into horses in my forties and had good and bad experienses. My last horse I loved so much but he kept hurting himself - got worse every year. Finally I found him a safer home I was so sad for months and then my two mini boys came into my life - can't belive what wonderful creatures they are, and even when a difficult situation comes up they are much easier to deal with, such good guys - even when they are feeling spunky and naughty -- they make me laugh and and happy every day!

My story is much like many here had full size horses since 1972 then in 1995 started with our own farm boarding full size horses and we were basically trail riders although some gymkhana when I was younger. then in 2003 got a new trail horse that was also trained to drive. We took lessons and my husband loved driving him. I loved him as a riding horse but was scarred to death driving him we had gotten a full size meadowbrook cart as beginners. anyway to make the story short my husband got me a mini gelding that drove so I could get brave at driving and we both fell in love with minis.....within a year the full size horses were sold and we begun our miniature journey and loving it. I had so much fun riding when I was younger but I old now and that ground is quite a bit harder.

I was really a lucky one. When I was born my family had Shetlands. As a child, I was always drawn to the smallest of them and when we would go to sales all over the US, I would seek out the smallest in the barn and beg my dad to buy "that one!) Here's a little blurb from our web site:

People ask, “Why miniatures?” When Tony was in elementary school he had a “funny book” (later called “comic book”) about Bozo the Clown in which Bozo had a circus with animals so small that they were carried around in a briefcase and performed on a table top. Tony said, “That’s the size of animals that I want.” He hasn’t gotten them that small yet, but has certainly made headway with some of our smallest horses being 25”.

50tony50x.jpg

Our first miniature-sized pony was born in the spring of 1963, just months before Tony graduated from high school. While in college, Tony told his dad to keep Big Un, that first miniature, as long as he had land and horses. For many years, Big Un was a teaser for Flight 8 Farms, the Greaves family's Quarter Horse ranch. When the American Miniature Horse Association (AMHA) was founded in 1978, Big Un became our first registered miniature, fifteen years old and 31 inches tall.

So, over sixty years later my obsession has not changed. Minis can't be beat.

Well I've been around horses since I was in my mothers tummy
default_smile.png
My mom had me up on her 16.2 draft cross at the age of 2 months. I have pictures of me at a year old on him, my little legs hardly even started coming down over his sides. So I grew up with them, we've always had horses and I believe I always will. We've had a handful of riding horses in the past, I got my welsh cross, (Guppy who I still own) when I was 8. Then after my moms horse was put down my dad bought our first mini, Mountain Views Playday, Josh. He was bought for my mom since her horse was put down and for Guppy so he wouldn't be alone. After that we leased a riding mare, whom I loved. Then I bought a paint gelding, who turned out to be crazy. So he was sold! Then 2 years later we bought the most beautiful 9 year old haflinger gelding whom most of you know from my stories, Buddy. He was my life even if I only had him for 5 months before he was put down due to cancer. I was heartbroken and had thought about getting out of horses.

Well 4 months later not one but TWO little guys came into my life. My boys, Knight, and my heart horse, Sox. That was back in 2010. I had never shown before them and since then I have kicked some butt with my Soxy boy
default_wub.png
and my mother started showing too! They have really brought both me and my mom closer together since we now have this thing we are able to do together. So we went from 2 to 4 and we love our adorable little "herd" and don't know what we would do without them.

Our back ground was racehorses, trained them for years. Both of our families trained them also when both my husband and I was little kids. Grew up on a horse, actually when I was 2 my mom had me on lead line in shows, then they moved to race horses.My husband and myself grew tired of all the moving around and all that training race horses requires and got "real jobs" lol. I must admit we got pretty bored doing the real job thing, some how I ran across a miniature horse show at our state fair grounds. I was like hum we could do this as we love the competition that goes along with showing. I used the fact that my poor old lead horse from the race track needed a buddy, and how inexpensive was it to have a miniature horse compared to a full size equine. Ha that ended to 14-18 little companions LOL. Love showing the people and the horses.

Great post, I have found the people that are the most prejudiced against minis are the ones that have never even been around minis. They are the most wonderful horses to work with!

Having a passion for conformation and movement I wanted to own and breed horses (on a small scale) but also had small acreage. Minis were wonderful and they have been such a great source of fun and learning. I LOVE my MINIS! I like to keep a large horse around to not lose sight of that "large horse look" in what to breed for, but I can and have lived without large horses. Minis are just so nice.

Besides, while I love to ride, a REAL horse person can live without riding but they can't live without horses!

Besides, while I love to ride, a REAL horse person can live without riding but they can't live without horses!

Excellent point! I feel the same way.

I got into miniatures when I saw my first miniature horses in person, and one was practically a double for my beloved big horse, a black pinto with blue eyes. That filly was for sale, and though I couldn't justify spending that much for her, I got interested and started looking for miniatures for sale. Strangely enough, when I found one for sale it happened to be that same lady selling it who had had the first filly I had fallen for. I bought that mare, who happened to be an appaloosa, and that encouraged my "Spotted Fever" for appaloosas, lol! Our daughters were quite young at that time and were able to ride that first mare, and then I found out about the local miniature horse clubs, got active in those, and the rest is history.
default_hypocrite.gif
I kept riding my big horses but less and less over time, and now we just have the two big geldings who are only pasture ornaments. For about 20 years now I've been showing and breeding miniatures. I hope to be doing so for at least another 20 years.

We had big horses (and still do) before minis. When I saw my first mini, I thought he was cute, but like a lot of people thought "but what would I do with a mini?" Years later, I was into driving my morgan, and had the oportunity to drive a mini for the first time. THEN I knew something I'd like to do with a mini, and we got our first mini. I remember thinking I'd love having a mini, but could never enjoy minis as much as biggies... well, it didn't take long to get "hooked" in more than just a driving sense. They're the breed that's captured my heart and a good percentage of my day dreams
default_yes.gif

I come from a team roping, rodeo family, so when I was growing up I was always at the rodeos.. I loved the miniature chucks.. I begged mom and dad for one (like every kid of course) they never took me seriously..

Well.. headed off to college and before I did, I bought 3 reg'd little yearling mares (which are now going to be bred!!)!!!!!!!!!

Now mom and I are both addicted.

See mom? At 6 years old I really knew what I was doing
default_yes.gif

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I love reading about well loved minis and their human families.

Back