Why does the work b*u*g*g*e*r get changed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In "old English" it's a term that refers to anal sex. ie. "b*u*g*g*e*r*y"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/begger
Matt's got it... that's the old meaning, and the reason why a lot of people get in trouble for it!

I've known it for ages. and I'm West coast born and raised, so I don't think it's so much of a regional thing as a family thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
isnt a begger from out of ur nose?

oh nm sorry i didnt know until i read the post

As usual I'm completely confused because

1. A b u g g e r is a really big snot that comes out of your nose

2. A beggar is someone that begs for money etc.

3. And I used to say bloody h*ll all the time and thought nothing of it.

hmmmmm

Never knew it was a bad word.

For me it just been kind of a word I would use if say a dog would not drop a ball while playing I might say something like come here you little b*u*g*g*e*r.

No Marty. that would be a BOOGER!!! B U G G E R is pronounced like bug, only ending with an er sound.
default_yes.gif

Gee I never knew that was a bad word, where I'm from it is like saying someone is a "stinker" :DOH!

For what it's worth.....I grew up hearing & using "B*gger" almost as an affectionate term for a little pest.
default_yes.gif
Just goes to show how different our cultures can be!
default_wacko.png

And yes, what comes out of our noses are "BOOGERS".
default_biggrin.png

That's a word I've hardly ever used--I grew up knowing it was a bad word (and note that I am an American born & raised & I always knew that was a "bad" word)..I can do a pretty good job of cussing if I choose to, but that's just not one of the words I'd choose to use. If I'm mad enough to swear, chances are there are more expressive words than that one to use!

I have used it a few different times, usually meaning it in a harmless way, same as if I used "pest" or "brat" instead, and I have to say I think that most people that do use the word mean it in that harmless way--they aren't actually thinking of it as anything very bad. If they want to be truly offensive or vulgar they will use much more serious swear words!

I have a BIL who is from England and he told me years ago about bloody, b*gger, bleeding and the word sod or sot (I don't remember which).

To say to someone they are a 'bloody sod/sot', is in his words, the VERY worst insult. You couldn't say anything worse. And a 'oops I'm sorry' doesn't get it.

Yep it's "sod" not sot and that's also a very very naughty word!!!! Yikes! haha.

"Booger" is what comes out of your nose and I think it's a disgusting word!

As usual I'm completely confused because

2. A beggar is someone that begs for money etc.

3. And I used to say bloody h*ll all the time and thought nothing of it.

hmmmmm

Oops. Sorry. Already stated.

Boy Im stupid! :DOH! I was with Marty on the whole Booger thing!!!!!
default_biggrin.png

I am GOBSMACKED I really cannot believe you lot did not know what it meant
default_biggrin.png

I can accept that the connotation is different but not to know the root meaning of the word.......
default_wacko.png

You do NOT use words of which you do not know the meaning, first rule of any language .

I may not swear much but gosh I sure know who and what I am insulting when I do!!

I too did not know that b ugger was an inappropriate word. Here in the US, it is used frequently to describe someone annoying, etc...I doubt very few know the root of the word (at least here)...I didn't know.

Rabbit, we may be a nation of heathens but in our defense...

If you are raised in a society and a house that commonly uses a phrase, you are most likely going to pick that up as a norm and not question it.

Truly where I grew up it was a very common phrase and not even blinked at to say. Not even by my grandma who was very proper. I dont believe I ever heard her say it but she never slapped me or washed my mouth out when I said it.

There are words used across the water that if said here would be odd or offensive.

For instance, if you knock me up here, there would be trouble. Knocked up here is getting pregnant, usually out of wedlock, not getting woken up, and we dont smoke fags here either.

I over heard my nieces talking the other day about a girl in their school and calling them a name that would have gotten me slapped into next week when I was growing up. I questioned them about it and it definitely does not mean the same thing it did when I was growing up. Still not a positive thing but defintely not the same. When I told them what it meant when I was a kid they were horrified.

Needless to say, society and language differ and if nothing else I have learned that I should be more aware of what I say in the company of others.
default_biggrin.png

Oh and BTW, what is GOBSMACKED? LOL

Nevermind, I looked it up, here it is for all you other heathens out there. LOL

Adj. 1. gobsmacked - utterly astounded

colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech

Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom

surprised - taken unawares or suddenly and feeling wonder or astonishment; "surprised by her student's ingenuity"; "surprised that he remembered my name"; "a surprised expression"

I want to add to the list of forum forbidden words. One of my horse's names is W A S H I T A S. Try tryping that in to a Forum message and see what you get! The forbidden word is the name of a local River and County, a Kiowa Indian word. Accent on the first syllable.

Ive never heard of any of these words!!
default_wacko.png

"Knocked up" means the same here as it does over there.

Colloquialisms are one thing but real words, with real meanings are another- for example a "fag" at a boys prep school is merely a junior who does menial tasks for a senior boy.

Which, of course, could well be where the colloquial meaning originated!!!
default_biggrin.png

I totally accept that the word may not be used as anything more than "darn" but it is still a word, with a meaning.

OK be honest how many of you are going to look at swear words differently now???
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back