Why does the work b*u*g*g*e*r get changed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I will Jane!
default_smile.png

...Colloquialisms are one thing but real words, with real meanings are another- for example a "fag" at a boys prep school is merely a junior who does menial tasks for a senior boy.

Which, of course, could well be where the colloquial meaning originated!!!
default_biggrin.png

Well that's interesting Jane, I always thought it only meant a cigarette in the UK. I went to a rock concert in my teens and a band member asked me for a fag. At first I thought he was looking for a guy to hook up with so I was kind of embarrassed and looked at him blankly until someone piped up and said he wanted a cigarette.
default_wacko.png

At a later time someone complimented me on my new "shag" hair do which was popular at the time. Of course he was there and teased me about having a copulating hair style. Talk about a people separated by a common language, lol.

WAcrapAS You knew I had to find out, lol.
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
I am GOBSMACKED I really cannot believe you lot did not know what it meant
default_biggrin.png
I can accept that the connotation is different but not to know the root meaning of the word.......
default_wacko.png

You do NOT use words of which you do not know the meaning, first rule of any language .

I may not swear much but gosh I sure know who and what I am insulting when I do!!
Now 'Fizz, we knew what it meant! We just didn't think it meant the same thing.
default_wink.png
Seriously, I did know it's original definition but then again I'm an odd duck from too much reading as a child. There's an awful lot of 20-letter words I can quote you the Latin roots of and even pronounce correctly but I mispronounce anything French because I was never taught the French sounding of things! Embarrassing to be sure.

It's actually sort of fun to play with the forum filters...darn it all to heck in a handbasket!

Leia

"Knocked up" means the same here as it does over there.
Well then...it didn't used to.
default_wink.png
I remember a British friend of my Mom's who, when staying over, would tell us to "knock her up in the morning".
default_new_shocked.gif
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back