Why does the work b*u*g*g*e*r get changed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that is a not very nice word...and I don't think it is just here in Canada, but I don't know for sure on that

I use it, probably more than I should, but yes, it isn't a "nice" word

~kathryn

I've heard allot of UK and 'english' people use the world on tv so maybe its a curse or bad word over there.

Okay i have to test this ..begger ...did that change?

Well check that out, hmm ..thats different lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL!! GOOD QUESTION! I'll be interested in hearing what the other Canadians on board have to say. When we were setting up the word filter for the forums, it was me that added that one, and even Mary Lou asked me why. I believe she is actually American born and/or raised, so she never heard this either, so I am to blame for it!

Growing up in our household, when we were kids, we didn't dare say begger, without looking forward to the slap in the mouth that followed it!
default_wacko.png
Maybe our home was just stricter than normal, but we were not even allowed to say geez, because if we did, we might as well have said Jesus (meant the same thing in my parent's eyes) and gotten a nice little slap in the cops for that one too! Gee was ok, but ot geez or Jesus! :DOH!

Well shoot, here on the west coast it is just a word. It is a lot nicer than many of the other words I use when I am mad. LOL

I guess I will have to be more careful. Sorry to any I have offended.

OK so I have to know, what does it mean or what is it slang for?

No offense taken(by anyone, I am sure!) but what it means, is I am sure, the same thing it means there. It just kind of means the same as saying... "the little sh_t", only in a nicer way.
default_yes.gif
I guess like saying it is a little brat.

Growing up in our household, when we were kids, we didn't dare say begger, without looking forward to the slap in the mouth that followed it!
ROFL! I just want to know what it's supposed to mean? Why is it bad? Are we referring to something you can pick out of your nose
13.gif
or is it something else?

I am just dying to know why you got slapped Mona. I have never heard of such nonsense. If the word B*U*G*G*E*R* is bad then I am a very bad girl!

Edited to say.....OH NO MATT! I just read what you said! You're kidding? Oh Geez! No wonder you got creamed Mona.....LOL!

Lol.. I always used the term as if to say the little pest... or little bug that was bugging me... sure had no clue it was used any other way ! haha... learn something new every day.
default_biggrin.png

I am originally from the U.K. and it is a BAD word, so is the word that is like blood all over the place. They are used so much on T.V. that I don't think U.S. realises.

But I notice that british T.V. has alot more bad language and nudity that ours. When we visit my and hubby's eyes pop and we turn it off pretty quick.

I guess the word is as bad as saying the D word here. Which suprisingly isn't as bad over there. Hmmm

Emma

default_new_shocked.gif
I had NO IDEA!!! We always use it as meaning ....you know how a little bug irritates you and nags at ya....then we call whatever does that in a nice way a little begger. (But before it's tranposed) Such as "my little horse was trying to steal his stallmate's hay...the little "begger". I will definitely be careful when out of state to use it tho...

Well, you guys all had me wondering too, so I went straight to the horse's mouth so to speak, and called my Mom! She told me she just thought it was bad...they were raised that way, and so she raised her kids that way. She said it was a really bad word, even worse than saying sh_t.

She called me back after looking it up in her dictionary, and this is what she found...

begger 1. guilty of sodomy 2. contemptibleperson 3. US slang for "chap", persona or child, and used in mild or humerous dispargament.

After I hung up with her, I looked it up online and found this one...(click the word)begger

Well shoot, here on the west coast it is just a word. It is a lot nicer than many of the other words I use when I am mad. LOL

I guess I will have to be more careful. Sorry to any I have offended.

Same here.... just a word. Would never of known other wise.

Guess it is like Hubbies Mum.... the would "bloody" in any context was a big no no. In the UK during her time, was one of the worse cuse words.

To us.. Bloody, b*gger and such is just like "oh bother".

I had a friend send me to a web site once a number of years ago..to what words are now banned in schools. Lets say.. I had no idea simple words,, that meant nothing when I was a kid or even now for that matter.... could get kids afterschool time now.

Guess I am just old.
default_rolleyes.gif

Added: I find an old...mean really old dictoniary....

B*gger= Drat, pest

Woolley begger- is a fly fishing lure.

Boy times have changed.

Yes, bloody was a BIG no-no in our home growing up too! It too was a "swear" word if it was used in any other way than to describe being covered in blood...like a bloody nose or something. But if you said this bloody thing won;t work, look out!
default_new_shocked.gif

Well I was born/raised in Western Canada, but my entire family since the prior to the 1600's were all born in England...

Bloody (often formed with "bloody h*ll") is a BIG no no in my house...even still now that we're all grown up! haha. This would be said in an angry situation..i.e. you've just broken a leg "BLOODY heck!" or "this stero is bloody useless". I suppose a good comparison would be "oh sh*t/fu**"

begger is also a big no no. A common combo for begger is "beggery bollocks"...Bollocks is also a very naughty word! Although I must admit I do say beggery bollocks when the need arises (not often).

Drat is also not a nice word although not that big of a deal. I suppose a good camparison would be "dang" (except a bit more rude than dang haha). Drat to me is like "darnit" or a nicer way of saying "bloody heck" haha. Basically it's said when something's gone wrong...i.e. "oh drat I forgot to turn the lights off".

Yikes saying all those things you'd be asking for a clip 'round the ear!!

Also in England saying "peeved off" is a big no no! It's also a rude thing to say!! I accidentally said it while I was over there (the mind slips) and with it being no big deal in Canada I forgot. Anyway, every head turned and I got a very stern lecture!!! haha.

My mother wouldn't slap us but she did wash our mouths out with soap. Then she just gave up, I was the 4th after 3 brothers and after them, nothing I said or did shocked her. LOL

My grandmother was Norwegian and I got my face slapped once for saying uf fy faen (pronounced Oof fee fawn)! I had no idea what it meant then but remember her not being happy when I said it.

I think maybe the begger and bloody are more serious in Canada pehaps, because we are under British rule and they are big no-nos there?? Since the US is not British rule, it is not "offensive" for them to say it in their country?? Just grasping at streaws here.

Any btw hhpminis...we had our fair share of tasting the old soap bar when growing up too!
default_smileypuke.gif

I was raised with French cuse words via cousins. <Lol> But I have to admit..other than my Dad who is from Greenmountain NC, who are big on cuse words, some truely odd.. like "blue fuzzy woolie wart",.... my Mom's Acadian side... very, very rarely heard a cuse word from Grammy (always in french) and never from Grand-mere.

I always knew the meaning of the word (English meaning) I think I learned when I lived in Ireland? I don't remember. I didn't know it was in the filter here but I can see why.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back