Why do people take their dogs to horse shows etc??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you own dog(s) do you take them with you to horse related activities (shows, clinics etc)?

• Yes, I always take my dogs with me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I sometimes take my dogs with me

• I never take my dogs with me

• Total voters

Bluerocket

Reaction score
Please note - I am not trying to start a fight - I am not criticising people who do this -- I am simply curious as to WHY someone would bring their dog(s) with them to a horse show or clinic or other horse related activities.

If you are going to post on this thread - PLAY NICE --

[SIZE=14pt]Question: If you have dogs - and you take them to horse related activities - WHY do you bring them?[/SIZE]

I would never bring my dogs, that would be simply one more thing to have to keep track of.

JJay

(Inquiring minds want to know!! :-D)

Very good topic. I do not take my dog to the shows as I have enough to look after with the horses and getting ready for the ring. It's not fair to my dog to either sit in the truck or tied up at the trailer while I'm running around. I do however have a friend that takes her dog but her husband also come to keep a eye on it. This dog also is a service dog that helps her out, not a seeing eye dog but a dog that brings her things and helps her in other ways. I can see bringing these types of dogs but not the family pet.

Actually mine is dog, singular as in just one. Tate always goes with me. He is in my arms 90% of the time, most people actually as me if he can walk. He can. But Tate is a very special part of my life and to be honest I feel very lost without him and I worry alot when I leave him at home. I do have two other dogs and they stay at the vets boarding when I go out of town. But Tate isn't just one of the dogs and anyone that has met him knows he is very sweet. But that said he is never left to run around and bother people. He has his pen when we are at the stalls and he stays in my air conditioned trailer if I need to do something and wouldn't be able to look after him. But he always goes with me. And he only weighs 6 pounds, not like he is a Great Dane.

I do not take my three dogs with me and never plan to. I have so much to do at a show that the dogs would just be in a crate. At home they can have the run of the house and be let outside to play. They would worry about me too much at a show. Just kinder for them to stay where they are accustomed.

jennifer :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, minimomNC, one of my dogs IS a Great Dane! :bgrin I've only taken her to a few shows, as I am generally way too busy at a horse show to take proper care of her, but there have been times that I didn't have someone to take care of her at home, and when I'm gone for several days, that is a problem, as she is a house dog. And once she had a life-threatening illness and I had to take her with me to keep her on her IV's, meds, and force-feed her since she wasn't eating.

I imagine that many people consider that their dogs are their "best friends" and want their dogs with them.

It seems that many "horse people" are also "dog people" as well. I don't have any problem with people bringing their dogs, as long as they don't let them run loose.

I never take mine- too much to do, too big, they stay home and help keep an eye on things.

However, many folks have dogs that are not only their companions, but I could see that maybe it might be an issue for them if they dont have anyone to come in and take care of the dog, dont want to leave it at a strange kennel, etc... also, some dogs get very upset when left with someone else, or left home with a babysitter and their folks arent home. I know mine dont like it!

I do not take our dogs on horse shows with us, they are both out of control and would not stay where they are supposed to.
default_wub.png
: I do have plans on getting a boxer in the future and want to train it to go and stay at my side. I love seeing the dogs at the horse shows and always stop and get free kisses from the ones there.

I bring Josey to shows because she's well behaved, she keeps me company at night, and when I travel alone I feel safer with her.

My dog, Stanely Eugene, ALWAYS goes everywhere with me. Horse shows, sales, shopping, etc. He is small, at only 8 pounds, so is fairly easy to tend to, but if I leave him at home, he gets so depressed. I dont have any children , so he is just like a child to me. Everyone who knows me, knows Stanley is there too. I sometimes wish I could leave him at home, but it is a rarity if you will see me anywhere that he is not clinging right beside me.

If showing no, too busy.

If just looking maybe to socialize the animal.

When we ourselves went out on trail rides yes. they loved it, our two scotch collies. Great spook proofers

When we used to show, we would always bring our dog. Take in mind there were at least 4 of us at the show. And when we all were busy she would be in the cage. We took her because she was blind and leaving her home with the other dogs wasn't fair because she would get confused and upset that there wasn't anyone home with her. I don't see anything wrong with bringing a dog to the show as long as someone is watching it or on a leash. Letting dogs run and get in the way isn't fair to the dog and is irresponsible on the owners part. If I was showing again I would bring my dog because he's my companion and I'd miss him while I was gone.

I always take my Toy Poodle with me, even onto showgrounds that "don't allow dogs." He's extremelly well-behaved and kept clean (moreso than some children I've met). He's my little boy and I would worry about him too much to have any fun if I were to have to leave him somewhere...

I got my Cairn terrier to be my "take along dog". Our shows are often 3 days and we camp there. There's a lot of down time and I love having my dog with me. Most of the people camping near us have dogs too.....if fact we have a group that the dogs have become friends and they play together. One day shows I tend not to take her(unless I'm not showing) because it's just too busy. Here's a pic of our "campsite" in Anderson, Ca.

100_0278.jpg

Edited to add......that's my mom and my Cairn "Cami" and wcr(Kathi)'s Corgi Emma. Cami even got to participate in the costume class once......a group was doing Wizard of Oz and snagged her for Toto!

We always bring some of our dogs with us, it lightens the load of the work the person left at home has to do, they are great company, make great security alarms, and love to go. We take either a crate or ex-pen with us and keep them out of the way.

This has been a great way to socialize my show dogs, and they are never allowed loose, we don't want them killed by a truck!

You should see their little Corgi faces light up when we ask them if they want to go bye bye in the truck to a horse show. Just try and leave them behind! Mike McCabe even stops by on his golf cart and dognaps Cody for a ride as she adores him and loves his golf cart even more!

I see no problem with people taking their dogs as long as they are well behaved, don't have barking fits when left alone, and are well socialized.

Thanks for the warning on the rabies certificates, I will certainly have them next year! Our dogs never wear collars, and especially not tags as they are crated and kept in ex-pens and those collars and tags have been known to get caught and dogs killed. Plus, my show dog can't, it would wreck her coat if she wore a collar full time. She is microchipped just in case.....

I sometimes take my 2 Pommies to horse shows - why? Because it's one place that they are welcome to go that is full of animal lovers, and it helps socialize them (mainly Bean, who's a rescue case) - however, they are in a pet stroller most of the time, and I generally only bring them when I am not bringing a horse and/or when I have someone else with me to help watch over them if I have my hands full.

If dogs are not allowed, I don't bring them. Even in the stroller they are usually wearing leashes "just in case" - and I take them out of the main areas if they need a potty break.

we took misty to a couple shows and she had quite a following at congress. but I dont do it anymore. Too much extra stress making sure shes okay etc. I will say she was ALWAYS on a leash when out.

That is my main gripe is dogs offleash or dogs that make constant noise. at the ohio world show there was a stall behind us full of puppies for sale. They cried and barked continually. I know my horses couldnt have gotten any rest that night with all the puppies barking and crying.

Sometimes i do wish they would just ban dogs at horse shows and i am a huge dog lover. There are great people that do care for them and dont let them run loose but there are just as many that do let them run loose, bark continually etc.

We always take our two Chuhuahua's with us to the shows, but few folks even know we have them unless they come to the motor home. I think two or three times i have taken them to the stall areas while carrying them. But most fo the time they stay in the motor home. We enjoy the company and that way we don't have to have someone take care of them at home. I don't like to have loose dogs around my horses though when we are trying to show or get ready to show. It can be dangerous for the dogs and the horses.

:aktion033:

Yes, I do take my dog to horse show when there is one single person to keep track of her an that is there only job...she is a pitbull, she is VERY well behave!! She is very shy but everbody loves here, an she loves them when she gets to know them. i also feel a lot safter when she is with me... we also sleep in the stalls at horse show its me an my best friend we are both 18 year old girls so i feel its better!!!

I'm torn on this. I dont take mine but have thought about it. I am so busy at shows that I feel it would be unfair to just lock her up in a stall or expect her to entertain herself without getting into some sort of mischief. I just dont think I could spend the time with her that I should if I took her. Plus she is a Lab and takes up space not to mention always has gas anytime we put her in the truck!
default_blush.png
:

However, I thouroughly enjoy petting all the dogs that are there.

Some come as watch dogs and with the frequency of thefts in the tack rooms I can see why but then again it may open up a can of worms if they bit someone who innocently stuck their nose in to see if anyone was home.

Sometimes when I travel alone I wish I had a dog with me to sleep with.

I guess over all the donts for me outweigh the dos so she stays at home and is excited to see us when we get home.

I do not show, but in the past I have gone TO shows. I do not take my dog. I wish I could, but I just will not risk it. My dog, Nigel, is my best buddy. If I could have him with me 24/7 I would. I not only like having him around but he loves getting attention from people, and i adore the crazy reactions i get when people see him.

Latest posts

Back