Why do people take their dogs to horse shows etc??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you own dog(s) do you take them with you to horse related activities (shows, clinics etc)?

• Yes, I always take my dogs with me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I sometimes take my dogs with me

• I never take my dogs with me

• Total voters
Russel & Petunia always go with us when we go out of town. Russel has health issues and is on 3 medications which must be given at certain set times of day to achieve constant blood level.

We have tried 4 times leaving them at the highest rated boarding facilities in this area. One a VERY well thought of vet and one a VERY well thought of 'pet hotel'.

Each time has been a nightmare! For us and I can't imagine how bad it was for our dogs! Everything from getting the dogs mixed up and giving Russel's meds to Petunia to having the dogs not kept as was arranged to keeping them sedated, to not taking these VERY housebroken dogs out for walkies at least 4 times per day to using choke leads on them which they don't understand. :xbud: I could hear Petunia choking and gagging and yelping as she was dragged down the hall to me! She only weighs 12 pounds for Pete's sake! Pick her up! She walks wonderfully on leash with her harness!

I will not subject them to that kind of torture again. They are confined and on leash at shows and Everything would be great if others didn't bring their dogs and let them run loose! That is A BIG pet peeve for us! We follow the rules but others don't have to?

Where we go they go. ( 12 pound English Jack Russels)

Charlotte

My minis attack dogs. I have to be on the look out all the time at shows for dogs loose or their owners allowing their dog on a leash to get close to my gang. I would prefer for owners not to bring them but I understand why they need to bring them along. It is tough to find someone to animal sit when going away for a vacation or a show.

I always take Angus with me. He is small and he loves horse shows! Everyone knows him at the shows and he is way too attached to me. If I left him home, I think he would have a heart attack and die! The big dogs stay home though, just not enough room to bring them.

Don't feel there is one good answer to this question.

But having been to shows for 20 plus years it is like anything else. A few spoil it for the rest.

A dog should not be left tied in an aisle. SO many times I see people being put in a bad situation by a dog left tied and feeling it is their aisle now and you had better not come down here. And see kids running up to strange dogs and grabbing hold of them and you just hold your breath because one bite can take out a kids face!

I saw the effect of 500 stitches in a 4 year olds face and i never want to see it again.

Why take the chance? Just put the dog in the tack stall where he will be safe and so will others.

And I can't help but think when someone says we just let it take a run now and then,what it really means is we know it has to go pee and poop and we don't want to clean it up so someone else can.

And what do they think that dog is doing on its own? Just for the dogs own safety I hate to see them loose to many bad people out there.

And I cannot imagine having my dog pee on a show cart, halter, harness or other things, I would feel like I would need to make it right. How do you do that?

If you want to bring dogs I think the best plan is to have a safe place for them away from the turmoil and stress as many of you do have and under YOUR control at all times. Then no one would object and more important they would be safe.

I saw dogs at Nationals lifting their legs on merchandise for sale at the vendors and owners pretending they didn't see it. :eek:
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This past summer we took our border collie, Rusty to most of our shows except one as they did not allow dogs. He is a puppy so we didn't dare leave him home most of the day alone as my husbands sister comes and feeds our cat. At the show we coudln't take him too my husband went home in monring and afternoon to milk cows as it was not far. We left Rusty home, he was tied outside all day and at night locked in his cage in the house. He likes to chew everything. Now we have a 2nd dog, Teddy and he will probably got o shows with us next year too.

I love my dog but he will never go to a show with me. I don't think its' appropriate for dogs to be at shows unless they are service dogs. I know some dogs are well behaved, but then you got the owner who lets their dog get away with murder cuz 'it's cute. (Kindof like those parents who think their spawn look cute running and screaming around in a restaurant). I cant' even take my dog fishing, all he wants to do is sit on my lap. I can imagine him at a show..NOT!!!

Well, I've had more problems with unruly and/or unattended children at horse shows than dogs and I'll bet I'm not the only one... so here's an idea... I'll agree to leave my little dog at home if you all will leave your little kids at home next time.
default_wink.png
:

I have 4 children, My youngest is 4. I wont go to a show if I dont have someone to watch them, unless I am a spectator, as I dont want them un supervised at any time. Showing takes alot of concentration, and I would not want to have my children running a muck while I was trying to show. It would be the same if I had a dog..

I don't mind well behaved dogs at a show who stay on a leash. My pet peeve is when people set up pens for their dogs that make it impossible to get to your pens with a driving horse. Its not fair to make other people in your aisle go a long way around to get to their pens. If you bring an exercise pen put it at the end of the aisle not in it or put it in a stall. The price of a stall is less than the cost of a kennel.

That said we don't bring our dogs because one whines if we are away from her sight. We leave the other one home because its not fair to take one and not the other.

We usually find that we are very busy at shows. It doesn't leave alot of time to interact with the dogs.

Ok, first of all I am going to have to give you a little history about my dog, Tuff (most everyone knows him)! I first gained possession of Tuff (Mini Australian Shepherd) when he was three weeks old. He had broken his leg that day and I took him to the vets to have a cast put on him for my best friends mother. The vet didn't want Tuff with the other puppies or his mother - so I raised him. He kept me up all night crying, I gave him pediatric tylenol, and took him everywhere with me, because if I left him at all he would throw a fit and he had to have meds on a regular basis. So he would ride in a dog bed on his "good" side in the front seat. I would even take two sets of keys so that I could run into a store really fast and leave my car running. Ok, then the cast came off and he couldn't walk well - but he followed me everywhere and was only about 5/6 weeks old. I was going to purchase a puppy from my friends mom but instead she gave me the option of keeping Tuff! You know what I chose, otherwise you wouldn't be reading this. Tuff is very spoiled, very well behaved, loves his toys (and for someone to throw them), and is a dream at shows and riding in vehicles!!! If I leave him he doesn't eat, hides under my bed, and is miserable (I only leave him with my parents or friends when flying). And sometimes I am on the road so much I would never see my dog - he would always be at the Pet Hotel!!! I have no children - but Tuff is definitely my child!!!!! And he thinks I am his mother. Also, when at shows while I am showing (so usually the whole time classes are running) Tuff stays in the living quarters of the horse trailer (which is why I have it haha). Honestly, If i didn't put him in there no one could keep him out of the arena with me (Just ask Pam Walsh)! Tuff has his buddies at the shows - especially his bff Tate!!! And they keep us entertained! So, not that I have to justify it, but that is why I take my Dog. And keep in mind that he has all shots, is well mannered, clean, not a drooler (HAHA), loves to travel, cleans up everyones left overs (food - which is why he is fat), stay with me all the time, doesn't bark, etc.

I second that Nicole, why do people take their kids??? Not everyone likes children, they can be loud and annoying, not listen/mind, cause accidents because of running/playing with toys/scaring horses and can get injured if not watched intensively (even lost/misplaced). Just as all parents are expected to be responsible all animal owners are expected to be.

Not meaning to offend anyone - just trying to emphasise why I take my dog! Granted, I have two other dogs that stay at home (in the barn).

Natalie

Latest posts

Back