Who would you pick?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally.. I fell in love with Little Kings Buck Magnificent down at Worlds. He was just perfect. Driving, halter, he does it all. And The Rogers do offer him at Stud. (darn, why does he have to be in Arizona!!)

Buck Magnificent "Mag"

Well if I had the right mare(s), and the money I'd definitely breed to Tami at Oak Parks buckskin boy Tom *drool* and/or Debbie's buckskin boy Hawk *hubba hubba*

Hi,

I do what Jill suggested, looking at my mare to see what her good/bad points are, then look at different stallions that I like to see if they would help her. Then I look at the stallions previous get and their dams to see what the stallion has improved on the mare. I also make sure to visit the breeder's farm and the stallion to see exactly what the horse looks like in person, and where my mare will be staying while being bred.

Personally I like Sierra Dawn's Unos Monarch and his son Scott Creek Monarch Commotion. I am looking to breed my ASPC/AMHR mare to Commotion this next spring. I know they are probably to far away from you, but just ideas. I also like FF Neighborhood Watch, and his son Daysprings I mean to Shine. Both of these are also probably too far away from you as well.

Biggest thing is not to sacrifice quality of the stallion. Make sure you get a good look around at what is in your area before breeding. It sort of similar to the saying, "Don't buy the first car you see."

Good luck,

Amanda

I would have to agree with Amanda, but we are lucky in the NW to have several really wonderful stallions to choose from. I have spent a lot of time with several of the Monarch foals and they have the best personality, plus they're all so beautiful with that head that Monarch throws. Most are put together really well. The horse that I would add to this list is Nancy Rivenburgh's, McCarthy's Jessie James of Rivenburgh.

This decision would be based on which type of mare I had. I don't breed, but if I did, the only type of mares I would own would be structurally correct and pretty. If it were a bigger mare I would go the direction of Monarch as a size refiner and prettiness factor. If I had a more refined mare, I would go the direction of Jesse James, to hopefully get some bigger movement. Although, I have seen several Monarch foals that have big movement, and Monarchs Commotion really passes bigger movement on to his get. The Neighborhood Watch horses are really nice movers that are pretty.

This would be a tough decision, based on all the really neat stallions all over our area. In the end, I have chosen to buy babies. I get to pick from some of the nicest horses in the world. Of course, that is determined by my pocket book at the time I am shopping! Too bad, I haven't won the lottery, because it would sure open up my possibilities.

Some of these breeders in our area have made a science of refining their breeding programs to get the EXACT look they are going for. I know they have spent a lifetime in breeding horses to gain the knowledge they have, to produce the world champion stock, year after year. Some of them are just attaining the perfection they have been striving toward for years. I could never hope to try to breed the perfection that these individuals have attained, so I will just be buying the best foals I can afford from their stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are so many nice stallions to pick from. The stallions I would choose..... If I could... for halter horses,,,

for several reasons... .

(Just a few of the MANY I would choose..)

the Outstanding babies they have already produced and I think each one compliments the mare I would cross with...

Fallen Ash Farms Eagle Scout

First Knights Billy Idol

Aloha Acres Amir Or I C ~ I adore him

Mccarthys Aloha Silent Partner

Rivenburg Outlaw Jesse James..... OMG... can't take your eyes off that horse!!!!!!

Covergirl Idolize This

JSW Showcase (not sure his full name) He just gets better and better ... he was stunning at Worlds this year

Little Kings Black Velvet... He is amazing still

and the last one I can think of.... I actually got to see him a few times.... probably the most stunning miniature Horse ever (to me)

Little Kings Buckeroo Baccarra a Beautiful Beautiful animal

just to name a few .....

I think it is important to know the ins and outs of your mare's conformation and the things you want to improve in her.

That said, the next important part is looking at the get of any stallion you are considering. You might find a stallion that is a perfect match, but if he is not a consistent producer than he is of no more use to you than a horse that is no match at all. It is SO important to do your research, here are some things I look at...

Foals of the sire, and if available older get, especially senior horses. I say this because there are sires that consistently produce incredible babies and yearlings and those babies and yearlings consistently fall apart as they age. This is an important characteristic to recognize.

The sire's sire and dam. Is he consistent with their quality, or does he exhibit the same faults? If you see the same fault generation after generation it usually means that its fairly potent.

The siblings of the sire. Are they consistent with his quality?

"Patterns" in pedigree

All this considered, here are some of the sires I would be looking at to breed to, provided they were compatible with my mare....

Halter

Fallen Ash Farms Eagle Scout (Fallen Ash Farm)

Ten Ls Destiny in The Buff (Ten L Farm and DSB Farm)

Avante's Chasing The Ace (Avante Training Center)

McCarthys Aloha Silent Partner (Aloha Farm and Training Center)

Michigans Silver Streak (Lilac Lane)

Oak Bay Salsamio (Oak Bay Acres)

McCarthys Jesse James of Rivenburgh (Rivenburgh Farm)

Alvadars Double Destiny (Double Destiny Syndicate)

First Knights Breakin All The Rules (Nirvana Training Center)

Fallen Ash Eagles Dark Deputy (Ravenwood)

Fallen Ash Scouts Red to Remember (Ravenwood)

If I wanted a driving horse.........

Daysprings Neighborhood Joyride (Nirvana Training)

Anything Dandy bred......

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back