Who love's Irises? I do!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very pretty varieties! Love to take a garden tour of your beautiful yard! Ours have been over for a month here.

My town is officially The City of Iris, designated by patent in the 1930's. Later, Boston tried to usurp the title but the courts upheld our title. My garden club has Iris Week every year. Each member takes a bouquet to a local business to display. Some of us just have a few, and some have thousands. One of our members belongs to the National Iris Society.

All iris are just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your beauties!

Here are a few more!

Marsha, I'd be in heaven just to see some of those ladies Irises! And thank you for the compliment!

I woud have to say my top 3 perennials are Iris, Hosta, and Peony!

2013-06-06_09-55-07_871.jpg

2013-06-06_09-55-58_449.jpg

2013-06-06_09-56-17_128.jpg

2013-06-06_09-56-48_935.jpg

2013-06-06_09-57-28_489.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love bearded iris. I've got two big clumps of "Thornbird" that are mature but its not my favorite so someday I might trade some for something else.

This winter I planted six other varieties, but I don't think they will bloom this year, so maybe next year. I got some like Batik, millennium falcon, and pirate ahoy...

I love bearded iris. I've got two big clumps of "Thornbird" that are mature but its not my favorite so someday I might trade some for something else.

This winter I planted six other varieties, but I don't think they will bloom this year, so maybe next year. I got some like Batik, millennium falcon, and pirate ahoy...
Their names sound beautiful! I'm always tempted to stop when I see some in someones yard and ask if they would like to trade a small piece, but I think that would be kinda weird... or not! LOL! The third picture in the second set is a small two tone purple that I got from my hubbys grand parents house. His uncle said take some. So I got them mid summer last year with no clue as to the color and they bloomed!! I think it's kinda cool that we have flowers that his grandma planted. She's long passed but it's kinda nice to have something she loved and cared for. I saw some two tone gold ones when I drove by this morning, I may have to snag some of those too! LOL!

Well if I could figure out how to post pictures we have over 40 varieties around the farm from heritage types to some very unusual more modern colors/types to water iris.

2013 Iris 005.jpg2013 Iris-2 001.jpg2013 Iris-2 019.jpg2013 Iris-2 024.jpg2013 Iris-3 036.jpg2013 Iris-3 034.jpg2013 Iris-3 042.jpgIris 2013-4 011.jpg

Stormy!!!! They are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! I see 2 that are similar to mine!!! Thats awesome!!

Thanks for sharing the pictures you guys, mine didn't come up this year, because I didn't get them dug up and replanted last year. So I let them get buried, and need to replant this fall. The pictures are so beautiful. Hopefully Mindy will post some of hers, as she must have acres of the beauties.

Oh! I am so happy to see others mad about Irises and Peonies! I have Irises I have moved with me mmmmm,,,,, 8 times lol ! I love them, and for some reason, gardening here is very, very hard, but my Irises grow like weeds. I have given so many away. And 4 years ago was my first experience with Peonies. I love them! Last year the hail and June snow forced me to cut the blossoms all off and bring them in, the year before, a windstorm hit and took all my blossoms. They are ready to bloom about now though and I am ready with heavy duty supports and row covers! Even though it is in the low miserable 90's I know it will probably snow again.

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0021.JPG

I just love your pictures! Lets see some more!

I could post pictures all day. It's a battle here, but my little front yard is my flower sanctuary. No chickens or horses allowed lol. I finally have lilac's again too!

IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! I love irises too!!!!!!! My grandma had like 10 different kinds and I loved them all.

Thanks for showing all your pretty flowers!!!

default_worshippy.gif
:worship
default_worshippy.gif

You guys..... FAB U LOUS!!!!! lol! I love seeing them!! They make me soooo happy!

Becky, I can smell those lovely Peony's from here!!! I have a few blooming, I'll have to go snap some pictures!! Lilacs were done about 2 weeks ago. But I did bring some in to make the house smell good!!

Stormy, In your second set of pictures, the purple and white that are just under the pure yellow, look like you could eat them!! They look like whip cream to me!!!
default_thumbup.gif
default_eat.gif
And the yellow ones look like they belong on a wedding cake!!!! I love them ALL!!! I know I know they are flowers not food, but they are just so pretty I cant help it!! LOL!!

Iris is my favorite flower.I have lots of them but they are done blooming for the year.bought some really unusual ones last year but they didn't bloom yet.An older lady(90s)near me has been growing them for years and had acres and even had some hybrids she made herself and get patents or whatever you do for flowers.Her daughter is putting them in categories and labels and selling them off $5 for 1 rhizome.I got some really unusual ones, almost black, orange, ruby or maroon, plicata.She also has daylilies and I got some of those.I'm a lazy gardener so I like flowers that you plant once and they come up for many years.

Hi everyone, chiming in to let ya all know (& riverrose) I took some pics and will try and post tonight! My beds or rows were redone last fall so not to many bloomed (about 100 or so) so not a lot this yr, but took some pics and trying to figure out how to post again since jpeg was wipped off my computer by hubby. I also piced up about 300 more colors yesterday so thats more to go in the ground this week LOL...

Ill post tonight!

(also have a pic of thornbird too for folks! One of my favs!

Keep the pics coming!!! I seen one posted I dont have on here!!!

Latest posts

Back