Who hates winter?!?!?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_gaah.gif
default_gaah.gif
default_gaah.gif
default_gaah.gif
default_thumbdown.gif
default_thumbdown.gif
default_thumbdown.gif

I'M WITH EVERYONE ELSE I HATE WINTER. I LOVE FALL (60 DAYS/40NIGHTS), BUT I HATE IT ANY COLDER THAN THAT.

I WANT TO MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE WHERE IT DOESN'T GET TOO HOT DURING THE SUMMER, BUT NOT TOO COLD DURING THE WINTER EITHER.

CHRISTY

I hate it more and more every day......I despise and am now TERRIFIED to drive in snow or ice, day or night. I find it so much more stress-relieving to just sleep at work rather than driving home at midnight. Yep, I'm a sissy. I have an AWD, but really want one of those snow cats like seen in the movie The Shining. That would get me up and down the mountain roads.

no one can drive in the rain here, so when drops begin to fall the accidents start to happen...
LOL! Andrea, even in Oregon, where rain was invented, nobody knows how to drive in it!

It's almost embarrassing when we get snow...you'd think the world was coming to an end...every winter we have news reports on preparation of city gravel trucks and getting the chains on the transit buses.

Our TV stations get huge ratings from storm coverage, so any wind, ice, or sizable amount of rain has all their stringer reporters out on the highway overpasses doing the same old story -- "Look, where I scraped the ground there's an almost visible coating of ice!".

When the weather does get cold, we just throw another dog or cat on the bed...

no one can drive in the rain here, so when drops begin to fall the accidents start to happen...
LOL! Andrea, even in Oregon, where rain was invented, nobody knows how to drive in it!

It's almost embarrassing when we get snow...you'd think the world was coming to an end...every winter we have news reports on preparation of city gravel trucks and getting the chains on the transit buses.

LOL I think that is hilarious about not being able to drive in the rain!!!!
default_laugh.png

I'd really hate to see those people in SNOW!!!!
default_wacko.png
default_laugh.png
:OKinteresting

~kathryn

I guess,, I don't hate or like winter. Is just there and one has to deal with it. I have lived all over the country and weather wise, I like it here best.

Ya,, it is funny about lot of the folks in Oregon not being able to drive in the Snow. Their snow storm would be a NH dusting.

Was so funny.. I had to drive out of the hills I live in, last winter.. to go into town. They don't really plow out here, so the Hills got a bit slick, snow mid height to the hubcabs. Just stuck the Van in low..and did what I would do in any NH snow. Made it safely down the road. Coming back up.. was passing 4 wheel drive trucks..left and right.. all were stuck either in the middle of the road or off on a ditch, few were chaining up. Should of seen those mens looks and jaw drops,,, was classic.. could see in their wide eyes all but saying... how is "she" getting up these steep hills in a 2wheel drive Van, with no chains, no studs???? I tried so hard not to laugh. That is what low is for and knowing how to drive in the white stuff.

I don't mind driving in it... but I don't like driving around other people in it because you never know when one of them is going to slide into you.
default_wacko.png

This year we have it set up to have a water tank heater.. that in itself has taken a major winter load and worry off.

Okey dokey l'm going to get my butt kicked but who cares l love winter. Not a long drawn out winter but like this year where we just had our first touch of snow on the ground this morning. Winter is where everything is nice and white and clean. Winter is for cozy days where you can get all your reading done. Winter is for house work and comfort foods hummm...only because l am never in the house all spring summer and fall thats for only the horses and outdoor work those seasons so winter is all for me. Winter is relaxed comfort and time for cross country skiing...yahoo.

There is nothing wrong with you liking winter Relic! I love the hot chocolate, sitting near the fireplace, reading a good book. I do not mind the snow here because it is what I call a "warm" snow. There is less work for us to do in winter.. no worring if we can get the hay in on time, working every day in the kitchen garden or the rest of the farm. More time for the animals, painting and book reading!!
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE winter LOVE LOVE LOVE it. If its not long enough or cold enough, I get depressed LOL But, then again, I am a Da** Yankee, transplanted to central TX LOL I want the house COLD, cold enough that I have to wear sweats, then use the fireplace and get toasty. Yuppers I'm a goober LOL
default_laugh.png

susanne said:
Susanne, some where around here I think I still have an old teeshirt celebrating the Oregon State Rain Festival. It says:

Oregon State Rain Festival

Jan 1st - Dec 31st

I used to live in Brea near Andrea and I can attest to the driving conditions in SoCal when it first starts to rain. It is also the same in Central and NorCal. The problem is that it only rains in the winter and when the first rain comes the road are slick with oil from cars and when the tires hit the water on top of oil it can be much like driving on ice. After the oil gets washed off the problem lessens.

As for Winter, is that the time of the year that I have to stop wearing shorts and put on long pants? If so, then it isn't anywhere near that here now. We had 81 degrees here in the Central Valley of California today. We don't get much freezing weather, more in the rural areas where I live, and winter is about the only time it rains here if you want to call a total of 10 to 12 inches of rain for the season really rain. Some areas of the country can get we get for the full year in just one rain storm.

I can't tell you how beautiful it was here today, clear with almost no wind and a clear shot to the east of snow capped Sierras. That is how I want to look at snow, from the comfort of my home at a long distance.

Neil, that's a good one -- although, to be honest, we'd leave out August and September...

There's also the old saying: Oregonians don't tan, they rust.

I love to watch the snow fall. I love watching it drape the fir trees and make the horses look like frosted doughnuts. Then I want it to go away. Or course, around here any depth of snow is a rarity...last winter we had a lot, but a few years back we had several winters in a row without any snow.

We have had unusually cold weather this week, for our area. It's been about 30-33 all day due to the wind chill. (2 days before it was 70) Sooo, about 3:45 today a low rain cloud blows over and the light rain was big snow flakes as soon as it left the cloud
default_rolleyes.gif

We had almost 15 minutes of snow!!
default_wacko.png
I'd love that to be all I see for the winter
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back