Who has owned/showed Show dogs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you are going about this the wrong way... simply basing your choice on website pictures or breed descriptions. You need to find the breed that is a fit for you! Your original list had a wide variety of types and temperaments.... from occasionally aloof sighthounds like greyhounds and whippets (not fragile, BTW!) ... to Energizer Bunnies like Scotties... to workers like Malamutes... to the sporting dogs like the setters and retrievers - high energy and driven.

Maybe settle on a Group - like Sporting - and then investigate the breeds within that group.
default_smile.png

Go to a few shows. Talk to breeders. Ask questions. Watch the breed judging... and then the groups. You might find that you like a breed that you never even considered before... and I agree that a co-ownership would be the best you could hope for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Tagalong. You may be surprised at what breed you really like when you hang out with them. The different groups have different characteristics. You need something that is going to fit you. You need to think about how mch exercise do they like, are they independant workers? Driven by there nose, active, lazy. What are YOU like? Do you want to spend a lot of time playing,walking and exercising? Do you want a dog that hangs around you, or is more independant? It is so important to find the dog that fits with you. Every breed has problems, that is why you need to find a reliable breeder.

So, what do you want from the dog? What personality and characteristics are important to you?

So i have been doing a lot of research on Gordon Setters. Come to find out my Teacher used to have some, but just as pets. She said they have a really good nature, but there grooming is more then a short hair breed, but not as bad as a like a poodle or Old English Sheep Dog. Come to find out there are are two breeders in CT! I really would like to E-mail some of the breeders, but i wouldn't know what to ask! lol.

Here are two breeders (one in WI and the other in NY) that had websites, and i liked there dogs.

hillockgordons.com

&

www.mountainviewgordonsetters.com

the bitch that i have here is a show dog and done great in the show ring. and i did get her from a trainer out of fl ( thanks kelly )and in 3 weeks KURPAS CAPTIAN CODY will be home. which i love the breed that i have and would not change for the world. when i first wanted to get another male i did have to look hard. at all the trainers.
CONGRATULATIONS! I know Cheryl and Jon and they breed BEAUTIFUL dogs with excellent temperaments! My male is not of their breeding but his dam's sire is and that's where he got his lovely head from! I'm sure I know who Kelly is that you are speaking of too. There are LOTS of very nice ACD people out there!

I've raised and shown Saint Bernards, but have yet to have a litter here. I currently have two, a 7 year old spayed female with a weight puller title , and a 3 year old AKC Champion male.

1. How dose your daily routine and there life style differ from those of a family pet?

Nothing different here that I can think of.

2. How do you 'get into' dog showing?

Went to the local dog shows and met some local breeders. When I got my first puppy I went to basic obedience, handling classes and a few local fun matches. Fun matches are dog shows for people learning to handle their dog in the show ring and the points don't count.

3. How do you pick the right dog (After you pick the breed of dog you want)?

I visited several breeder's places, went to club meetings, helped groom dogs for shows, etc. for over a year before I ever got my own dog.

I got to see them at every stage of their lives, from puppy to senior. Sparkling clean to a stinky drooling mudball. Some breeder's dogs were very inconsistent in quality, as if they had purchased stock from all over the place. Others were more consistent, like you could see where their breeding program was going. Line breeding can be a GOOD thing if done properly and the breeder is keeping track of the inbreeding coefficient by computer software and outcrosses when needed.

4. How do you find a handler?

Just go to shows and ask around. Get someone who knows your breed of course.

5. Where can you find a trainer?

Ask around at dog shows.

6. How do you learn to handle your dog in a show? (like are there classes)

First, study the breed standard and purchase a video or two on the breed standard as well. Do a basic obedience class first with whatever breed puppy you end up with. Then, take handling classes and go to a few fun matches. You should eventually be able to stack your dog blindfolded. Believe it or not, handling classes are 75% for the handlers and 25% for the dogs. Usually there are some other people in your area who are also new to showing, and you can meet up with them and practice in your back yards and critique each other's handling. Plus make some good friends.

Good luck

Daryl

Latest posts

Back