Who has owned/showed Show dogs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celtic Hill Farm

Reaction score
i am just wondering how many people on this forum have owned show dogs, and/or show show dogs? I have always thought about having a show dog or two, But i can't seem to pick a breed, i like (the looks) of all of them...i think I'm gonna have to meet alot of breeds of dogs before i pick what breed.

I have a few questions for you that (have) show(en) dogs or (have) own show dogs...

1. How dose your daily routine and there life style differ from those of a family pet?

2. How do you 'get into' dog showing?

3. How do you pick the right dog (After you pick the breed of dog you want)?

4. How do you find a handler?

5. Where can you find a trainer?

6. How do you learn to handle your dog in a show? (like are there classes)

---

I am thanking you all ahead of time!

~Ian

I would say the best thing to do would be to go to some all breed shows. The American Kennel Club may have a dog show list for your area. It has been years since I showed but the AKC used to put out a magazine that listed all the shows in the US. Maybe one of the forum people that currently show can give you a contact. Sometimes shows are listed in the newspapers.

I bred and showed Samoyeds for 25 yrs. I love the breed but they are very labor intensive. You can't grow coat on these northern breeds if you keep them in the house. And boy do they shed, like sheep. I took handling lessons through local kennel clubs and was fairly successful. I finished 5 champions and even won best of breed at our local specialty show with 250 Sammys entered. I had some nice wins beating some top US handlers. One of the main things is having quality dogs, conditioning and watching others with the breed you choose. Good luck, there are some very successful dog breeders and owner handlers on the forum that I am sure will help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shown dogs for over 25 yrs.

My dogs are also pets, they are treated no different. Depending on the breed the grooming may be different with one actively being shown verses a retired dog.

Not sure what you mean by "get into dog shows"

You first need to decide what breed you like. Remember a show career is a couple of years at most. For most of its life a dog will not be in the ring, so it better be a breed you can live with.

Once you decide on a breed you need to find a good breeder, go to local shows, meet breeders, handlers. If you can find someone to mentor you all the better. Be prepared, show quality dogs are not usually cheap and most come with strings attached.

Handlers can be found at the shows, They are also not cheap ( most are now $100 per show plus expenses and board) I always recommend getting references from thier clients and watch how the handle dogs, visit thier set up and see how the dogs are treated. all handlers are not created equal

some handlers will train your dog.

Most all breed clubs offer handling classes and seminars

I am only talking about conformation, performance venues ( coursing, obedience, agilty) owners train and handle thier dogs.

Well, I fell in love with Cardigan Corgis over 10 years ago now. Met one who was such a phenomenal dog that I wanted one like him! Researched the breed for 10 years, before 'the right time' came and everything just kinda fell in place.

I had no intention of showing Moxie when I bought her...I wanted a loyal pet with brains, unlike my other dog. Moxie was pick of the litter, and the breeder really liked me, so he agreed to sell her to me. Because of that, I agreed to try showing her. Went to a show about a month before Moxie's first show to get a few tips (that was my VERY first dog show), and I had already taken an intro Obedience class with her. At Moxie's first show, we came home with 3 points (over a special-which is an already finished Champion, who was being handled by a professional handler), and well the bug bit hard!
default_wink.png

Moxie is still a 'pet'. She gets no 'special treatment', and neither do her pups, who are also show dogs...except for the fact that they are spoiled rotten. But I am fanatic about keeping them in good 'show weight', and they get a lot of natural exercise (I live on a large farm-325 acres-with bush etc, so there are lots of places for me to take the dogs for exercise). I still haven't taken a handling class because there just aren't any available locally, but I try to watch the pros at the dog shows and pick up tips!

I also suggest going to some AKC all breed dog shows (you can search the AKC website http://www.akc.org for recent events in your area). Watch the different breeds in the ring, then talk to owners/breeders/handlers about some of the breeds that catch your fancy. They can tell you more about the individual breeds. Once you pick a breed, start researching breeders. A good breeder will mentor you with the showing as well, and will help you pick out a dog suited to you and what you want to achieve with it.

As for handlers, well that is tricky and depends a bit on the breed.... I've never had a handler on my dogs, until this year....but I have a very good friend who is an ex-professional handler....so 'technically' she's not a handler anymore, but everyone still considers her one
default_wacko.png
She has given me a hand showing the puppies when I had more than one entered at a show that she was at as well. She has also shown Moxie for me at a couple of shows that I special-ed her at here in Canada ('special-ing' a dog means the dog has finished it's Championship title and you are basically trying to win Group Placings which count toward year end placings amongst ALL the dogs being specialed). Confused yet?
default_wink.png
She has probably given me the most tips on showing my dogs, and she really has improved my showing just since May. I have very obviously lost in the ring because of who was handling in the same ring as me, but I have also beaten those same handlers (which always feels nice)!

Now everything that I've just said goes for Conformation showing. If you are wanting to show for Obedience titles, Agility, etc, well then you don't need a handler at all, just look for a good trainer! Usually you can find out about trainers through the local Kennel Clubs if nowhere else.

~kathryn

i am just wondering how many people on this forum have owned show dogs, and/or show show dogs? I have always thought about having a show dog or two, But i can't seem to pick a breed, i like (the looks) of all of them...i think I'm gonna have to meet alot of breeds of dogs before i pick what breed.
I have a few questions for you that (have) show(en) dogs or (have) own show dogs...

1. How dose your daily routine and there life style differ from those of a family pet?

Our show dogs were our family pets as well Only difference would be that they went to dog class which they loved! We only showed in obedience

Started at a local club...start taking dog training classes..... it is great fun

My family was already into Shelties, I have owned a handful over the years and LOVE the breed. We did a lot of research of breeders and got many references before we purchased a dog from a breeder.We spoke on the phone, asked several questions, visited their breeding facilities....as I said, got references...went to dog shows where they showed if we could to see them in action...asked to see past puppies.....many different things. It took us months to find the right dogs.

I was the handler.....

I found ours locally....in the phone book and word of mouth

Lots of classes!!

I am thanking you all ahead of time!

~Ian
Good luck!! My answers are found within your quote.
default_smile.png

Depending on your breed some are much more labour intensive in terms of grooming and then you should definitely have a handler or a very experienced show groomer. Some breeds don't get much of a life as the owners don't want them to get dirty or have their coats wrecked by letting them play outside. (Poodles, Cockers, Shih Tzus, just to mane a few.) You will definitely have to diligently brush and comb daily. Terrier coats get pulled not cut and that is a very time consuming job and expensive.

There is also the big controversy as to whether show dogs should be obedience trained or not.
default_wacko.png
Some say no...therefore you may have to put up with a little brat until they are finished showing. Some believe that when you train them they don't show as well because they don't have the same attitude. Others train them and say they don't notice a difference and they are easier to live with. You would have to ask the handler which practise they follow.

Another thing you should know, most pro handlers are prima donnas and are insufferable right before they show. Most don't want you anywhere near your dog at that time and most of the time you have to hide to watch your dog as you will distract them.
default_smile.png

I would say find a breed you like, I had a Bouvier and worked for a Bouv breeder that showed. A lot of grooming but great breed. I did take handling classes.

When you decide on a breed let the breeder know you want to show so they will pick a show quality puppy for you. Go to shows and talk to people. Just don't touch dogs being groomed
default_biggrin.png
Big NO NO!!! Ask for references, watch everyone and listen.

Have fun!!! Good luck

Thanks guys! I have thought about alot of diffrent breeds...

-Poodles (toy and standard)

-Old English Sheep dogs

Were the two that i was thinking alot about, but idk if i'm willing to put that much work in to grooming

I was actually fliping through a book fo dog breeds and found this hunting dog that i LOVED! but they aren't a reconized breed with the AKC.
default_sad.png

Edit:

I lie!!! i fell in love with the English Fox Hound!!!...i just went to the AKC site, and saw the beagle and i was like humph! 'was that one of the breeds i liked?' and then i was like 'WAIT!... *thinks* ... foxhound!"

Edit (again):

I also like the...

- German Shorthaired Pointer

- Greyhound

- Bernese

- Mountain Dog

- Black and Tan Coon Hound

- Italian Greyhound

- Rottweiler

- Weimaraner (my teacher owns Champion Weimaraners)

---

I think i would like to have a Rottie again, but i think it would be too sad for me. I had a Rottie and she was the BEST DOG EVER!!! i loved her so much, she was such a good dog! and show quality, my parents were so close to showing her, but then they decided they wanted a family dog, I could shoot them now!!! ehhhhh :| ... She was just a great bitch all around, Prefect Conformation, Markings, Personality, ehhh... Parent's they drive you crazy!

---

Just wanted to share that ;]

---

I am a groomer and own my own business. Grooming is a HUGE part of what ever breed you choose to get into. I used to show German Shepherd Dogs. My dogs were house dogs, and they of course were a breeze to take care of as far as grooming goes compared to many other breeds. Will your dogs be house dogs, or will they live outside in a kennel? That can depend on the breed also. I knew someone that showed Huskys. Her dogs HAD to live outside in order to have the huge coat they needed to show with. I could take my Shepherds out to play ball, frisbie or whatever and treat them like a "normal dog". There are breeds you would never want them to break a hair, so they can't become "pets" until after their show career is over. Finding a mentor, and a GOOD one, that has the breed you decide on is imperative! Go to dog shows, dog handling classes and e-mail breeders you find on the internet. I have met some of the greatest people ever on the internet. There are people out there that would love to help someone just starting out. You will be able to tell which ones won't quite quickly. Honestly, look through the internt and e-mail some breeders of breeds that you are interested in and ask questions. Do a google search for dog training classes in your area, and get out there and ask questions!
default_smile.png

Joyce

How do you know who and who's not a "good breeder"?

---

Here's my (six year old) "Puppy"... I have mad handeling skills! JK :D

100_1260.jpg

100_1259.jpg

Well, again depending on what breed you choose, first you need to find out if they breed "healthy" dogs. Do they certify for, (depending on the breed), hips, elbows, eyes, heart etc? How many dogs have they titled? Most breeders won't sell a "show quality" dog to someone who's not experienced. It really takes getting out there and talking to many people. You will hear the good and bad about different lines, breeders etc. For instance! If you only had pet minis and you were looking to buy your first "show horse", and you had been a member of this board for quite a while, reading and learning, can you think to yourself of who you might want to purchase a nice "show horse" from on this board? Can you think of some that you wouldn't want to purchase a "show horse" from?? (Keep this to yourself of course)! It's the same way with dogs, the more knowledge you have the better. How about joining a yahoo group that is about dog showing? Google message boards, or forums pertaining to showing dogs. Can you tell I LOVE the internet? LOL!!

Joyce

I have bred Tibetan Terriers for over 30 years. Shown them for over 25 years. Tibetan Terriers look like miniature Old English Sheep Dogs. (Or better yet, bearded Collies).

My show dogs were not family pets because of the coats that needed to be grown out. I have grassy play areas for them and 3 x 3 pens for them. Their coats were washed and groomed out every week and oil was added to ther coats to protect them from matting and breakage. Breeding dogs coats where cut short.

I started with Siberian Huskys, went on to Collies and ended up with Tibetan Terriers. 40 years of showing dogs. To enter shows one must contact the stewarts for the shows to get entry forms. In the beginning you will be learning how to do it all. Each breed is shown and handled differently. Some are presented on the table, some are presented on the ground. Some are easier to show, for others, there is very stiff competition and one woud need a handler to get anywhere. (yes, politics is big time in dogs).

I would suggest going to many shows before you pick the breed and the dog that you want. First talk to breeders and watch classes. Once you have decided on the breed, start talking to breeders of that breed. Watch the classes and ask lots of questions. Get to know the breeders who do a lot of winning. Let them know that you may be interested in getting a show puppy from them. (It would be best to pick out a breed that will allow you to show the dog yourself, it is more fun than hiring someone to show your dog, plus, it is as expensive to hire a handler for your dog as it is to hire a trainer for a Miniature horse). Once you have established the breed and who you wish to by from, you then have to have patience until the breeder has the right puppy for you. It could take some time. Also, be prepared to pay at least $2,000 or more on a show puppy.

I preferred handling my own dogs. The Championships ment more to me that way.

Trainers and handlers are one in the same. You can find many handlers at the shows. Some of the handlers may be interested in having help. (I am sure there will be local handlers at the local shows) A great way for you to learn the ropes. They would be able to teach you all about showing, feeding, conditioning, conformation of the breeds they specialized in, etc.

There are usually many classes, depending on the area. You can contact local feed stores and ask them if they know of any classes. Some will have classes of their own. Ask at the shows where there might be local classes, and ask breeders as often they will take their puppies to the classes to get them exposed to it all early The classes you are looking for are called handling classes. Do not go to obediance classes as the training is very different. One does not want a dog to sit in the show ring.

It is a lot of fun and a lot of work. I no longer show my dogs because I can not do both Miniature horses and my dogs justice. I have won just about all there is to win in the dog breed ring, so now I am trying in the horse show ring.

Good Luck

In the past 32 years I have bred and shown, Lhasa Apso, (very labor intensive grooming) ,French Bulldogs ( wash and wear grooming ) , Japanese Chins (medium grooming) and now Mini Dachshunds all three coats varying from minimal care smooths, moderate grooming in the longs and intensive grooming on the wires requiring hand stripping coat for shows. Mu dogs live in my house as part of the family, the stud muffins are a bit more restricted and spend lap time with belly wraps to prevent marking.

It took me 3 years of talking to Dachshund SHOW breeders before the Chilluras sold me my first show dogs. I went to many AKC shows, researched breeds online , you also want to think about how many dogs or bitches are required in your breed to make a major win. That is a win of 3 or more points and , to finish a champion you need 2 majors under different judges and 15 total points.

That number is pretty high in Rotties, Dobs, boxers, not so high in fox hounds.

You need to first decide which breed fits into your lifestyle and ability, then talk to the breeders. Find a local breed club where you live and join and let the members know that you are interested in showing this breed.

Find a breeder to be your mentor. even if they are not in your state. Thats what I did first.

I followed Marietta Singleton, a handler from SC who specialized in Dachshunds of all coats for about 18 months till she recomended breeders to me and convinced them to sell me some top quality dogs.

It has taken 3 years to breed what will be my first homebred champion dachshund. Took me about that long with the other breeds as well. The lhasas were the fastest, I produced an American and Canadian champion in my first litter.

DONT just go into the newspaper and buy a dog from a breeder there. Find the ones that are winning in the ring. Sometimes you can get them to co own one of their best dogs. Thats how I got Pete the Dragon. He is half finished too.

#1 go to your local all breed club to locate breeders of your desired breed.

#2 Look at www.akc.org and www.infodog.com and find out what the point schedules are

Showing poodles is tought, it is a handler breed. So are rotties, if you want a low mainanance dog that doesnt require 20 to make a major pick one of the hounds. But also remember that they require LOTS of activity

Lyn

I think you should try some dog sports with your current companion. Depending upon his condition, he may not be able to do the more extreme stuff, like Agility, Flyball or Disc Dog, but I'll bet you two could enjoy Rally O and/or Obedience, even Canine Freestyle. There is a nine year old Pomeranian in our Rally course that started last night. I have a nine year old Toy Poodle started in Agility. Our bigger dogs are all six plus years old and LOVE training for Rally O. It's a lot of fun for me, too, and a great way to sharpen your training and handling skills (albiet different ones than needed for the Conformation ring).

Lyn touched on some really good points. You seem to gravitate on the hound breeds...thats alot less grooming but as was mentioned those are dogs that need alot of exercise. Im sure I dont need to tell you the work involved in your Poodles or Sheepdogs and those are huge classes. I bred/showed German Shepherds those are also big classes and are usually done w/handler and I hate to admit it but sometimes double and triple handlers, depending on the size of the ring. I would suggest that you go to local Kennel Club meetings and take in everything you can about certain breeds...listen,take notes, ask ask ask. They will have handling classes for you, find a local Breeder That Shows the breed you are interrested in. Is that person winning, are they talking crap about other people/dogs, how do they handle the dogs when they are not in the ring, are they congratulating other winners, do they appear to help their competion. There are hundreds of people that show dogs and most are really good people but its up to you to do your own homework.

On another note.....its not just the dog that has to be in great condition!! I cant speak for all but being in a ring with your dog is hard work!! When I first started showing GSDs I showed myself for a few yrs. ( I was a terrible handler ) holy moly the rings just seemed to get bigger and bigger...many a time I thought they were going to have to call in the paramedics for ME!! I finally scrimped and saved and got a well known handler to take and finish my dog.

Anyway showing is alot of fun and they have what is called matches ( usually prior to the show ) its a great way to learn. Just take it slow and do not expect your 1st dog to be Westminster winner ( although it would be nice ) Good luck and let us know what breed you decide on.

Also expect huge classes of Goldens and Labs!!

I use to show Afghan hounds, then I switched to Keeshonds. If I ever go back in the confirmation ring again (which I have been thinking about) it would be with a wash and wear dog. Presently I own a keeshond, retired from competion of all types, a standard schnauzer, this is MY breed, I love them, but would not go into confirmation with them because of the maintance of a show coat. She competes in rall O and agility. I also have a standard poodle, he is just a year old, already has his Rally novice title. He competes in rally now, will do agility and obedience when he is old enough and ready. I keep him clipped short all over, much easier to care for, but still some work. My dogs are my pets, no matter what they are competing in.

I handled/handle all my dogs in all there shows.

ANSWER: I guess that would really depend on where you kept your dogs and how many you owned. I used to raise and show Chihuahuas and never had many,(probably no more than 6 mature dogs at any given time) but they were all in the house with us, so they were in effect, our pets as well as our show and breeding dogs. What took more time, was the numbers...more dogs, more cleaning, more bathing, more nails to trim, more to deworm etc., etc.

ANSWER: When I bought my first dog from a Champion breeder, I guess she kind of talked me into it. I just read as much as I could on the breed, both past and present, and studied and studied, and studied the breed standard inside and out, then ventured out into the show ring, learning tips from others as I went. You also learn to get a better eye for the standard when you have quality specimens to compare what you are reading about in the standard, to.

ANSWER: Tell the breeder that you want to buy a show quality dog, that you intend to breed later on down the line. If the breeder raises show dogs, they will know what you need, and will help you pick out a good dog for what you are planning to do with it.

ANSWER: Ask around. Also, look through dog magazines that have many ads. The handler information is always given, and you will see some handlers prefer to stick with certain breeds, or groups, while others are all breed handlers. Ask others that show in your breed, who they could recommend.

ANSWER: Pretty much in the same place as stated above in looking for a handler. Trainers also advertise their services in many dog publications. You really do not need a trainer or a handler to show, however, for obedience, agility, trials etc., it is best for you and your dog to attend classes together.

ANSWER: I suppose there are classes offered, but many just learn on their own, watching those that they admire, asking questions, and practicing. You'll get better as you go along.

HAVE FUN!! I raised and showed Chihuahuas for about 10 years before getting into horses. I was always very nervous in the ring, but always enjoyed the shows, and did quite well. I showed most of my dogs myself, but did send one out with a trainer for awhile, and also from time to time, would have a friend of mine show. My young daughter also really enjoyed showing both in Junior Handling classes as well as the regular show classes, and even took my 6 month old puppy bitch to a Best Puppy in Group, then onto Best Puppy in Show and also to a Group 2. She was only 11 years old at the time!! I was sure proud of them both and fought back the tears over that one!

I also showed one dog to her CD title in Obedience. It was a Whippet bitch that I showed to her (conformation) Championship. She finished quickly with Group placements, and I wanted to do more with her, so opted to try and put a CD(Companion Dog) title on her. She got her first legs back to back, but the last was a little tougher, but when she finally got it, she was only 1/2 point away from HIT! (High in Trial) She was spayed and never bred....she was just my pet!

Thanks guys!

I'm not going to run out and get a show dog right away, i just want to get some information about it, to see if i really would want to have a show dog!!!

and acutally my dog and i are going to do agility at our 4-H fair this year, and enter the prettiest dog contest! lol... Zane (my current dog) can jump over 3 feet when we practice!

I've somewhat been taking a look into this too, with winter here and really nothing to do, ive been itching to attend a few dog shows...see if i enjoy it as much as i do the horses. Then possibly get the right dog, i really want to show a chinese crested..i have a crested and a shih tzu, but neither would hold up in the show ring which..i know, i did not purchase either with even the slightest intent of doing more with them then cudding and sharing my time with
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back