Who breeds for the UNDER 30" minis ??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

loveminis

default_biggrin.png
I just LOVE the tiny minis ! By "tiny" I mean UNDER 30". This is not to discuss the problems breeding them, just wondering who's program lean towards those who mature under 30" because you love the tiny ones.

I recently bought a 10 year old 26.5" mare (she has never been bred and never will be). I adore her
default_wub.png
and she is a fun pet, so friendly and easy going. She is also very correct, straight, and petite !

I love her more that any mini I have ever owned
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Don't have any clipped pictures yet, but I will get some
default_yes.gif

Gosh, I wish you were within reach, I have a 25" yearling and a 27" two year old that obviously cannot be bred, and I am looking for forever homes for them.

Both are show quality but I can't put them on the "open market" because someone will think they know better and try breeding them.

All my under 29" mares are pets....

Tony at Little America is the man you want to talk to.
default_smile.png
He loves the teenies and has quite the collection!!!

We have bred them for 17 years and will continue to do so, but in a more limited way.

As long as we continue to have great leg to body proportions like these that look like small horses, not ponies, we are happy.

fantasia2.jpg

taboo1.jpg

I have broodmares ranging in height from 28" - 33". My current breeding stallions are 30" and 30.50". I love the tiny horses as long as they have enough leg and are proportionately correct including a short back, long upright neck and short, pretty head. They must have refined bone structure to remain in my breeding herd.

I have an exceptional 26.50" bay tobiano yearling filly showing now. Redrock C Makin A Statement is qualified for the AMHA World Show. I don't have any current pictures of her, but should have within the next few weeks.

Pictured below is a tiny yearling colt, 25" Redrock In The Red. He is just too cute with a gorgeous head!

Red5-13-09013.jpg

his head is absolutley beautiful
default_wub.png

I have a 30 inch horse that is a gelding,

i show him to the limit, and theres nothing he cant do

he is everything i could want in a mini, and is currently the EMHA all ireland Champion driving horse

and Irelands unbeaten Liberty champion,

hes a heart like a lion

hes in my avatar

We love the under 30" minis too! We are trying to breed for the smallest perfect horse. Our mares range from about 27"-34" and we use our small stallions to downsize the larger mares and still have good conformation.

We are also striving for the smallest perfect example of a full sized`horse.

Most of our 21 horses are at 30 inches and a we have several under 30 with the smallest filly at 25 inches.

default_saludando.gif
We do! Love and breed the under 30s. Well, we do have a few 'crop failures' occasionally.
default_laugh.png

this is one of our 'crop failures'. She'll mature over 32" and belongs to a forum member. Reflections Star Time.

DSC01726StarTime09.jpg

But we truly love the little ones and look for perfection in them. By asking around you will find that there is a very large community of under 30" breeders who are producing wonderful small horses.

25 1/2" Lucky 17 Cowboy. Our 'senior' stallion.

CowboyLiz3-500X.jpg

He has a phenomenal record of siring winning show horses......many VERY small.... and they win!

29 1/2" Star Skipper

skipper1.jpg

Doing the same as Cowboy......making gorgeous babies that win!

We have gradually reduced the height of our broodmare herd. Most are in the 29" range. One 28"er. This is her filly from '08 and predicting to mature at 28-29. She is presently 25 1/2". I'm not sure she'll make her prediction.

5-09Anticipation2.jpg

Then Daniela, 27 1/2" now at over 2 years old. I don't know if she will make 28". She is from a group of Cowboy daughters that we sold then bought back and are now breeding to Skipper. this is one of the foals from that cross.

Reflections Beyond Stardom

7-08BeyondStardom1.jpg

There was someone last year.........at the Central Championship Show I think it was. Had a 30" or under stallion that could JUMP! I think he won the jumping. Awesome!

I like to see the little horses that can DO something! (besides look pretty) Cowboy's foals have wonderful movement and some have been winning driving horses.

We'll all be looking forward to seeing pictures of your little mare.
default_yes.gif

Charlotte

So far we havent been breeding for the 30 and under, but I assume we will we when we start using Calvin (Firewaters Calisto Of Olympus) as our breeding stallion. Currently he is 28.5 tall and 2 yr. Hes taken 4 out of 8 grands so far in open this year, with me showing him.

calvinlizpic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's no secret that we prefer the under 30" minis but find beauty in them all!
default_wub.png
With Corona now being a gelding our main herdsire, Spirit, is 31" and very well balanced. His foals seem to be maturing in the 30" range but have a greater length of leg than most in that size range and we're very pleased about that. We have breeding mares from 28" to 34". Our winningest horse, Raven, is a 3 year old that is 28" and not a hair over. She is undefeated in open classes at local and championship shows and has done very well at World. She's a multiple grand and supreme winner and took reserve champion sr mare at the only show I've shown her in open. She'll be shown at AMHR and AMHA Nationals this year in Sr Mare 28" and Under by Ed Sisk.

There are many farms that have beautiful horses that are under 30". But I have to say the most impressive one I've seen in person is Calvin!
default_wub.png
No picture does him justice. He's just so leggy and his neck is so long. I had the pleasure of seeing him win World Res GRAND Ammy stallion last year and it was amazing! The other horses in that class TOWERED over him but his correctness and balance was obvious to the judges. I don't think I've ever screamed that loud at a show!
default_biggrin.png
To see a "tiny" win in a class like that was just amazing!!

We are slowly changing our breeding program over to the 30" and under. It is what we as a farm prefer. I will still have a few BIGGIES but as our foaling program comes to a close for 2009 we were blessed with 4 foals (3 colts & our little filly) and I believe two of the four will only see 27-29"
default_wub.png

ahhhh Parmela you are so sweet!!! Calvin and Ravey get to meet up and see each at worlds! He loves her. Shes so pretty!

I have another 30 & under stallion, too Beloveds Double Divine hes 29.5 3 yr old. Hes doing well this year grand and reserves in open. Not to shabby. Hopefully show him in the hunter futurity at Worlds he has incredible form. His color is in now, beautiful dark copper color. This picture was his first clip of the year.

P1030130.jpg

default_aktion033.gif
Beautiful horses ! The little ones are really coming into their own with selective breeding.

Becky, your colt is darling - and so tiny !!

Joanne, I agree, good proportions are the most important.

Love Tony's tiny ones !

Charlotte, LOVE Cowboy !

The smaller the better
default_biggrin.png

While we really love the "tinies", I will have to say that it seems that most of the judges I have observed will still pin the taller horse.

My understanding is that "The miniature horse should be the smallest perfect example of the full sized horse" and that, in a class when all other things are equal, the ribbon would be pinned on the smaller. (I could be incorrect in this statement and will be guided by those who know better)

If I was a judge, I also would be criticized for "pinning" the tinies over the tallers, (and possibly partly because that is my preference) but also because it is my understanding of how the placement process works.

When I am requested to recommend a judge in the future I really think I should be looking to those judges who breed, or were breeding, for the "tinies"because judging anything in my mind, must often be for the most part, a "personal opinion" or a "personal preference".

If we all liked the same thing we would all be married to the same man
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

I just am not sure how you make a judge put their "own personal preferences" out of their head and judge a class of horses to a standard.

I prefer mine 32" and over so, I really love your "failure" .
default_smile.png
Very very pretty filly!

default_saludando.gif
We do! Love and breed the under 30s. Well, we do have a few 'crop failures' occasionally.
default_laugh.png

this is one of our 'crop failures'. She'll mature over 32" and belongs to a forum member. Reflections Star Time.

DSC01726StarTime09.jpg

But we truly love the little ones and look for perfection in them. By asking around you will find that there is a very large community of under 30" breeders who are producing wonderful small horses.

25 1/2" Lucky 17 Cowboy. Our 'senior' stallion.

CowboyLiz3-500X.jpg

He has a phenomenal record of siring winning show horses......many VERY small.... and they win!

29 1/2" Star Skipper

skipper1.jpg

Doing the same as Cowboy......making gorgeous babies that win!

We have gradually reduced the height of our broodmare herd. Most are in the 29" range. One 28"er. This is her filly from '08 and predicting to mature at 28-29. She is presently 25 1/2". I'm not sure she'll make her prediction.

5-09Anticipation2.jpg

Then Daniela, 27 1/2" now at over 2 years old. I don't know if she will make 28". She is from a group of Cowboy daughters that we sold then bought back and are now breeding to Skipper. this is one of the foals from that cross.

Reflections Beyond Stardom

7-08BeyondStardom1.jpg

There was someone last year.........at the Central Championship Show I think it was. Had a 30" or under stallion that could JUMP! I think he won the jumping. Awesome!

I like to see the little horses that can DO something! (besides look pretty) Cowboy's foals have wonderful movement and some have been winning driving horses.

We'll all be looking forward to seeing pictures of your little mare.
default_yes.gif

Charlotte

My goal since I started was to breed for the smallest horses with correct proportions. As time has passed, I have been able to purchase some smaller horses to work toward my goal.

My main herd stallion at present is McSperitts Rowdy Night Image, a 29 inch grandson of Rowdy.

McSperittsRowdyNightImage.jpg

I am breeding most of my mares to him.

I also have a 30.5 inch stallion that I am breeding a couple of mares to. Cuddlesome Shadow Dancer, who is an AMHA Central Region Champion and Pinto National Champion.

ShadowDancerAMHA-1.jpg

In the last couple of years, I have been able to buy a few 30 and under mares.

My tiniest to date is Bear Farms Scholars Bright Side who measures 26 inches as a yearling. She will probably mature around 28 inches and I have yet to decide if she will be bred. Got at least a couple of years to think about that.

IMG_4479.jpg

Bear Farms Reddi I Am, 30 inches. Now a 4 year old with a very small refined foal of her own.

068_68.jpg

Bear Farms Nu Genes, registered at 30, but actually measured a little under.

IMG2578_578_058-1.jpg

And this is my pride and joy from my own breeding. Songcatchers Walking After Midnight. Sired by Image and out of Nu Genes. I expect him to mature about the same size as his sire. He is tiny, refined, and moves like a dream.

IMG_4314-1.jpg

One thing to be sure of is that breeding under 30 to under 30 does not guarantee a foal that will mature under 30.

Songcatcher, that is one reason I love the under 28" ones, there aren't very many out there, and they are SO darn CUTE !!

I currently have just one under 30". This is my 28.5" mare that is due for her first foal at 10yrs old. Due in a few weeks! She was an AMHA National top 10 2yo mare and daughter of National Grand Champion mare. I'll be looking for a handsome tiny stallion for her to hang out with next spring.

photo

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have just one under 30". This is my 28.5" mare that is due for her first foal at 10yrs old. Due in a few weeks! She was an AMHA National top 10 2yo mare and daughter of National Grand Champion mare. I'll be looking for a handsome tiny stallion for her to hang out with next spring. photo

She's lovely, wishing you good luck with her foaling!

Latest posts

Back