White milk-- UPDATE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
With your foaling mares. If their milk turns white before foaling, how early do you see that?

I've only had a VERY few have milk turn white before foaling and that was just a few hours before.

Right now we have a little mare that started bagging up 7 days ago well within what would be a normal gestation length. She has come on way too fast in the last 36 hours and her milk has gone white. I strongly suspect placentitis and have started treatment, but this white milk really worries me.

Another question.........How long do your mares average from the first hint of udder filling to foaling? Our average over the years is around 30 days.

I guess I'm looking for something to ease my worries.
default_sad.png

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got one here that does not bag up at all until 8 days before foaling. She's at day 325 this year and just started a small bag a few days ago. So It'll likely be next week when she foals. She doesn't waste a lot of energy making her bag at all. But the milk is there after she delivers so that isn't a problem.

amanda

We had white milk for several days from our mare that wasn't pregnant ("false" pregnancy, following confirmed pregnancy). Just at the right time too.. she bagged up about 30 days before her due date and her milk went from clear to white and then just stopped making progress. I am sure that isn't what you want to hear, but it does indicate that white milk may not really indicate much.

Certainly you want to feel secure that this does NOT mean there is an issue -- and you know we can't guarantee that
default_laugh.png
default_wub.png

BUT, I've had some go white before foaling. When this happens it is generally very soon before, a few hours to a few days or so but, some has to do with how often you check them, if they've previously foaled, etc., IMO. Most often it stays very sticky but can change color.

Is she due soon? I think your post indicates soon -- maybe soonER than you planned.

If I could pick an average, I'd say 30 days start bag to foal. Of course, minis don't "average"
default_rolleyes.gif
so I just start checking at about 6 to 8 weeks out and when I detect a change, then I watch for a continued progress.........or a stop & go one. This is they type of thing that can be helpful to have a history. MOST will repeat their past.

Charlette

I am pretty sure you already have this covered, but just in case I would have some fresh frozen colostrum on hand - the white milk might not have as many immunities as your baby will need, so better safe than sorry. I seem to recall reading something about fescue during last trimester also causing some of these type of issues, but I might have that mixed up - in any case, the colostrum would be high on my list.

Good luck and keep us all posted.

Stacy

Charlotte, wish I could tell you not to worry about it.
default_smile.png
Your 30 day average is probably about what I see as well, but I've had a few mares who bagged up even earlier and produced a thin milk, but carried to full term or near enough to have a viable foal. I've also had some who did nothing until the last day or so.... I'm watching one now who is due April 10 - milk isn't white, but as of 3-4 days ago was pretty sticky. She's on the full protocol, SMZ, banamine and Regumate...and I'm hoping she holds on another 30 days.

Jan

Not a mini, but we have an Arabian mare who, with her first foal (15 years ago - ack!) started STREAMING white milk and then kept doing it for 2 weeks before she foaled!
default_new_shocked.gif
We were all very concerned, but when we did an IgG on the foal, all was well!

Obviously not the norm - and white milk usually means PDQ foaling time, but just to show you that it *can* work out OK...

UPDATE

We lost Honey's colt. A gorgeous dark bay pinto.

At 2:30 she set the pager off. By 2:45 I suspected we had a problem. Honey was up and down repeatedly without trying to push. Went in and found no feet or nose. Because we have such good vet service nearby I don't try to reposition by myself. I always feel so bad calling my vet at 3a.m. Dr Danielson was here by 3:20 and by 3:25 Honey was sedated and on her back. The colt was out in 3 minuts or less. He had been dead for a quite while. The eyes were clouded over.

Honey will be fine. Dave infused her uterus and will come back on Monday to flush and infuse and possibly another day depending on how things look. She will be on SMZ's for 14 days. She is looking for her baby.
default_sad.png
I have the heater on and a polar fleece blanket liner to help dry her. She was so shakey and sweaty. And a bucket of warm alfalfa soup.

After all these years of foaling mares, I've learned if things don't look right they usually aren't.
default_no.gif

The one bit of good news.......Dave said Honey is nice and roomy and if the foal had been alive and able to get in position she would have just popped him right out. Always good to hear with the little ones. Honey is 28 1/2" and very refined.

I really appreciate everyone's posts and experience. There is always something new to learn.

And by the way Mary Lou........I don't think I've said often enough......... Thank you for providing this place where we can talk about it all, the good and the bad, where we can ask any question, where we can pull from the experience of others who love these little horses and where we find support when life goes wrong.

Charlotte

((hugs)) so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
Glad to hear your mare will be fine though.

So sorry to hear of your troubles.

Glad that your mare is doing well though.

You are right about Lil Beginnings and the wealth of knowledge that is willingly shared.

So sorry Charlotte - you are right, when things don't seem right they usually aren't. She isn't the first this season to lose one ahead of schedule......will sure sweat mine now until she foals.

Jan

default_no.gif

So sorry for your loss, Charlotte.

You are right about if things dont seem right, they probably are not. Dang-it.

(By the way, Pres will be here next week..YEA!)

Oh, Charlotte & Frank, I'm so sorry to hear of your ordeal and loss of Honey's baby. So sad to wait so long and then this.

Rita

Charlotte,

I am so very sorry. :-(

White milk early makes me nervous also.

But I am so glad your little Honey will be fine. And I hope the rest of your foaling season will be wonderful!

Susan O.

[SIZE=10pt]So very sorry, Charlotte, to hear of the loss of your foal. Thank goodness your little mare will be all right with time and healing.[/SIZE]

You guys must have wonderful and knowledgeable, and prompt vet care. Thank you for posting the information that hopefully we can all learn from.

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your foal.
default_sad.png
It is just heartbreaking to wait so long and the results are bad. I'm glad your little mare is doing good.

Best of luck in the future.

I am so sorry for your lose. I am glad you have such a great vet that was able to help out so fast. Your mare will be in my thoughts for a fast and stress free recovery. I know it can break your heart watching a mare mourn her foal. Its amazing how much we continue to learn about these little ones.

Darn it. So sorry Charlotte. Although I have to agree with you...you've been doing this for a long time and if your gut tells you something is wrong I bet your gut is right. You've always had answers for everybody else when we've had problems, I wish we could have helped you.

So sorry about the colt, but so relieved Honey will be fine. It's always sad to lose one, but such a relief to hear the mare will recover. Hugs to you and Frank.

Latest posts

Back