Which way does he look better?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyluva97

Reaction score
I decided to razor my mini last weekend for a show, he is a palomino, i have added two pics, one of him razored and one without being razored. The pics aren't very good, but does he look better with or without being razored? Honest opinions please
default_yes.gif

301503_304115599601514_1855077601_n.jpg

image_1347434597425881.jpg

314263_3184254305333_844537153_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For razoring to look good, it has to kind of blend. Some will say it doesn't look good period -- but I sure think it does when it is done well... and that does take practice. I think from the two pictures, he looks better without being razored, but with practice (several blades to blend), he may look great when razored. It's a tougher task with a horse that is light coated and dark skinned.

I prefer the unrazored look on your horse. Maybe blending is the issue, but based on these two photos that's my thought.

I too prefer the unrazored look, especially on light colored horses like your palomino or grey where it looks like they dipped their muzzle in a can of black grease when it's done.

For light colored horses and many dark horses, , I like just the chin, muzzle, and around the nostrils clipped very short and blended into the v that comes between the nostrils. Clean cut but not too over the top. I use to use a short blade on the eyelids too. Just enough to look good ESP when shcmutzed up for a show.

Ugh, no, sorry to be so blunt but, apart from my aversion to any razoring (because I think it looks weird, not because I think it is "cruel") I just can see how big it makes the nose look!

Leave it natural, next time....

thanks for all your opinions!
default_smile.png
I don't think he suits being razored either. how would i clip him than, cause i tried it with a 40 and it stuffed up and looked all patchy, that's why i had to razor him in the first place. Also what makeup would i use on him?

I think that half the problem is not blending and the other half is using BLACK makeup! You need to try it with CLEAR makeup, and both the nose and the eye makeup needs to be blended in - less may be a better look.

Am I blind? I can't see any difference on these pics except for the black nose... but you painted the nose, so it has nothing to do with the lenght of the hair.

Am I blind? I can't see any difference on these pics except for the black nose... but you painted the nose, so it has nothing to do with the lenght of the hair.
i am not sure what you mean, when i say razored, i mean on his muzzle, i have removed all the hair.
I think that half the problem is not blending and the other half is using BLACK makeup! You need to try it with CLEAR makeup, and both the nose and the eye makeup needs to be blended in - less may be a better look.
i Used straight clear baby oil gel on him, no black makeup

Unrazored, simply because it's not blended, but even using a 40 or 50 blade it should be blended and sculpted. We use 4 different blades on heads, and it all has to blend..........

if i did his muzzle in a 50, how would i blend and what blades would i use to do it? I body clip him in a 10 and i can't go any deeper becasue he comes out a really bad colour.

Back