Which Registry are you primarily active in?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Registry are you primarily active in?

• AMHR/ASPC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AMHA

• AMHR and AMHA Equally

• Total voters
I voted AMHR as that is where we show. We have shown some A shows, but prefer the R's. That said, all our horses with the exception of one are AMHA/AMHR registered. Seems he was of A parentage, the breeder thought he was going to be "over" and sold him as a weanling with no papers. They later hardshipped with AMHR. Turns out that breeder cut off his nose to spite his face as he was Reserve National Pleasure Driving Horse 34-36 this year.

We register both registries, as we feel it may help their sale later on, if we wish to sell.

Last edited by a moderator:
All my horses are in AMHR, My main stallion Ragtime Cowboy is double registered, AMHR/AMHA.

All my horses are double registered but there are NO (as in zero, zip) AMHA shows in the Wisconsin area. Closest ones are usually very small with a 5 or 6 hour drive to get there - not worth the effort. Don't even care much for the magazine so I let my membership go.

We only show R but I still keep the A registery up to date for sales and breeding purposes.

All of our horses are double registered, however I enjoy the AMHR over the AMHA.

The showing rules are typically the same in both, with some exceptions.

For example, a difference is in the Jumper class.

In AMHA the Jumper class is not timed at all and allows horses to come to a complete walk if its needed to come around the turns. As long as they jump the course clean it doesnt matter what gait they demonstrate while doing it. The jumps go up very high by the end and the horse that completes the course clean wins.

In AMHR, the first round the jumps arent very tall and it is not timed. You just have to go clean. Once your horse does a clean round you compete in the second round. It is based on speed AND cleaness. So, typically the fastest horse wins. But, even if the horse is the fastest it can get "faults" for knocking down rails.

It really just depends on personal preference. Both the World show and the National show are equally competitive in the showring. And, they both display BEAUTIFUL horses. However, the shows have completely different enviroments outside the ring. AMHR seems much more relaxed outside of the showring, where as AMHA seems to have the competitive tension the whole time--in or out of the ring. That's just my opinion about the two. I think everyone has their own favorite, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Good luck, and hope to see you at the shows -- whichever one you choose!
default_saludando.gif

Last edited:
We started out heavily involved with AMHR because there are few AMHA shows nearby. We attended AMHR Nationals nearly every year for ten years and won multiple National Championship titles. However, we found that we were unable to market the AMHR titles as well as those with AMHA titles. We also have mostly 30" and under, AMHR is IMO harder to compete in with small horses. So we started showing mostly AMHA and now only attend the World Show. All of our horses are double registered.

I have to say I have an opposing opinion to that of Macy ---Red Carpet minis. The AMHR jumper class isn't choosing the fastest horse, but the fastest handler. Doesn't matter how fast your horse is if you can't run as fast as the horse. The AMHA jumper class judges the horse's ability as a jumper, not the handler's ability as a sprinter.

I voted "both AMHA/AMHR" but I don't show AMHA anymore (no shows anywhere around here for one thing) and probably half of my herd is AMHR-only. But, I've hardshipped horses into AMHA, and I sure spend a pretty penny on registrations and membership, etc, with AMHA.

If I *had* to choose just one registry to participate in, it would be AMHR, but luckily we can do both if we like.
default_smile.png

Deffinatly AMHR.
default_yes.gif

My stallion is A/R, but I like R much better

I have to say I have an opposing opinion to that of Macy ---Red Carpet minis. The AMHR jumper class isn't choosing the fastest horse, but the fastest handler. Doesn't matter how fast your horse is if you can't run as fast as the horse. The AMHA jumper class judges the horse's ability as a jumper, not the handler's ability as a sprinter.
I agree that AMHR can be unfair because of the person having to be able to sprint very fast.

But I also think it can be unfair to the horses in AMHA when the are jerked and pulled on to be made to come down from jumping and cantering to a complete stop or a walk.

I think both have their flaws.

I didnt mean to get that started, this thread is all about AMHR/AMHA.. I was just listing the Jumper class as one of the obvious differences between the AMHA/AMHR shows.

I didnt mean to offend you, I'm sorry if I dd!

Those are just my opinions, I completely respect yours
default_yes.gif

Last edited:
My herd is all double registered AMHA/AMHR. I've harshipped a number of horses that were AMHR only into AMHA and vice versa. Since I raise and sell miniature horses for a living, it would be foolish of me to cut out potentially half of my market by having horses only registered in one registry or the other.

My interest lies in horses that are 34" and under and AMHA shows appeal the most to me for that reason. I train and show for clients as well and my clients are also owners/breeders of 34" and under horses. I have shown at AMHR shows many times in the past and they have always had a great turnout and fierce competition. With the number of AMHA and AMHR shows in this area, I could attend a show virtually every weekend during show season if I wanted. But neither me nor my horses could hold up to that kind of stress, so I chose to just stick with mainly one registry for showing.

To those that think hardshipping in either registry is too expensive, I will say that double registering has increased the value of my horses I have done so with by THOUSANDS, so a few hundred dollars is money well spent!
default_yes.gif

I have always been mostly involved with AMHR but am turning my focus to AMHA. I am not one who is interested in breeding the pony type and AMHR seems to have no interest in the horse type mini any more, at least that is what I am seeing at the shows. I have enjoyed AMHR, am sad to have to leave.
That is why I left AMHR. They are truely a pony club that registers Minis and when I showed at the AMHR Nationals it was always ponys and the pony look that won. If I wanted ponys I would be in ponys. I like trying to breed my horses to look like perfect Miniature Morgans and Arabians.

I feel in the long run. I have a better chance with AMHA.

The prices are higher and I feel the quality is better in AMHA right now. I have been selling some of my horses to Europe with more inquiries lately. They are only interested in the 34 and under AMHA horses.

I did have fun in both clubs but just enjoy the AMHA better.

Latest posts

Back