Which injection sites do you use for your minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which injection site(s) do you use when giving your minis intramuscular injections?

• Neck

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • Chest

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Thigh

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Hip

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I don't give my own injections

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters
It depnds on the horse here - the cantankerous old mares who kick out at the mere glimpse of a syringe, get theirs in the neck. Everyone else low on their butt. On big horses I have often used the chest.

But I have never heard of anyone giving a shot by the stifle like this...

/monthly_02_2013/post-45064-0-56745500-1360024796_thumb.jpg

I'm a Public Health Nurse who routinely gives vaccine to people! So, having said that, I prefer to give them where the vaccine manufacturer recommends. I do know that some vaccines given in the gluteal area of the human being do not work well - mainly due to not reaching the muscle. Not sure if this is applicable to horses, but given my experience with the human animal
default_smile.png
, I'd rather follow the vaccine monograph.

With my older horses I use the neck, with the younger ones the butt. If i need to give multiples I alternate. Heres a trick I use, pinch the skin up and hold for a couple of seconds, seems to distract the horse then in sert the needle, using the smallest one possable, like a 24 gauge, asperate, so no blood, then inject. I've never had a bad reaction.

I'm usually on my own when giving injections, so easiest and the way I was taught is the neck. I can hold the horse's halter with one hand and give injection with other hand. Never had to give IM injection to young foals.

I'm a Public Health Nurse who routinely gives vaccine to people! So, having said that, I prefer to give them where the vaccine manufacturer recommends. I do know that some vaccines given in the gluteal area of the human being do not work well - mainly due to not reaching the muscle. Not sure if this is applicable to horses, but given my experience with the human animal
default_smile.png
, I'd rather follow the vaccine monograph.
Good point and I think a general rule all of us should follow.

Unfortunately, most equine vaccines are listed as just 'intramuscular' and omit any site instructions.

Shots in the 'butt' of a horse aren't given in the gluteals which are higher up the rump. Instead they are given in the semimembranosis and semitendonosis (hamstring) which is lower than the anus and essentially behind the thigh.

Dr. Taylor

This is a good discussion! Yes, doesn't clear things up when they don't specify a site. The take home message is that is that intramuscular injectable vaccines need to be deep in the muscle. If the monograph doesn't specify, you would need to choose the site (and the proper length of needle) that will reliably deposit the vaccine in the muscle.

https://online.zoetis.com/US/EN/Products/Pages/PNEUMABORT_K_1b.aspx there is a site recommendation for this vaccine.

http://www.aaep.org/adverse_reactions.htm This is from the AAEP which doesn't recommend the hip/gluteal region for administration of intramuscular vaccines.

From what I have been told, depending on your location there are laws about where you can vaccinate. I've heard in certain parts of Europe you're not meant to vaccinate in the neck and also certain parts it doesn't matter and certain parts the rear is out. From what I have learned the neck is the best. If there is to be stiffness or a reaction from the vaccine I have heard of horses who had their vaccine in the rump and they simply did not/would not move. Whereas a horse that is a bit stiff in the neck is more likely to move it's head to eat. Where I live I have never met a vet that vaccinates in the rump, it's always in the neck.

Latest posts

Back