Which injection sites do you use for your minis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which injection site(s) do you use when giving your minis intramuscular injections?

• Neck

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • Chest

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Thigh

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Hip

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I don't give my own injections

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters

SugaryCharm

Reaction score
It's vaccination time...where do you prefer to give shots to minis? I've always given BH shots in the neck, but I have heard a lot of mixed opinions on whether that is the "preferred" spot to use on minis, so I wanted to ask you all about your preferences.
default_smile.png
I drew on some photos of my BH in MS Paint to show the zones, though I messed up on the neck one (
default_doh.gif
) and couldn't fix it:

110527 Sugar (6)_crop.JPG110827 Sugar 2nd ride (10)_crop.jpg110527 Sugar (17)_crop.JPG

Please explain with a comment if you select "other."

I don't give injections, but when my vet does, he does them in the neck.

Butt for <4 month olds and neck for all others.

I do think the chest is an underutilized spot.

Dr. Taylor

I usually do neck injections but like Lori, have usually done the young ones in the butt. If I am doing antibiotic for a length of time ... whiich I have done several times here lately, I do the butt shots and swap sides back and forth.

IM shots in the neck; I have used the chest but not often--I prefer the neck.

I use the 20x1.5" needles for vaccines and most drug injections.

Always butt shots after having horses unable to eat from neck shots.I ndon't ever use 1 company's vaccines after having so many bad reactions.switched companies and no problem.I hate vaccination time.

I've had trouble with the neck shots getting swollen and the necks stiff. As I drive all of mine I definitely don't need stiff necks. The vet usually goes for the hip as the veins in these little guys seem to be so close together in the neck. On the other hand she's had trouble finding a vein to draw blood from on my guys and has found that they have a "good" side and a "bad" side --each individual.

I've had trouble with the neck shots getting swollen and the necks stiff. As I drive all of mine I definitely don't need stiff necks. The vet usually goes for the hip as the veins in these little guys seem to be so close together in the neck. On the other hand she's had trouble finding a vein to draw blood from on my guys and has found that they have a "good" side and a "bad" side --each individual.
Just to be clear, I hope by 'hip' you mean butt. Injections should never be put into the top of the hip pointing down. If an injection given in the hip becomes inflamed/infected then the body can't push it up and out. Injections in all the other area described can be drained downward by the body.
Dr. Taylor

The two times I've tried in the hindquarters, they've freaked. When I give in the neck, I haven't had any problems.

I think what will work best for most horses and owners is the butt, actually. Hoping this PDF I have will illustrate it well. A poblem with neck injections is that some hroses will be too sore to lower their head to drink, or even eat... and there's more motivation in a horse brain to eat than drink, so the main thing is are they too sore to drink? Most horses will not have an issue with shots, but there is a lot of musle in their butts and they will walk...

http://www.whinny4me.com/Horse-Info/horse%20shot%20how%20to.pdf

Given the number of horses H and I own, our vets expect and desire that we give our own vaccines, and that we can give a shot of medicine at leat IM. And we can.

Yes, Dr. Taylor. Her pictures are hard to see but if you enlarge them what she is referring to as "hip" is the lower buttocks.

I had a vet use the chest only once, caused a horse that would usually stand well for shots to rear up. I guess a "sting" from the needle puncture would make it instinctively go up. Also the chest on a miniaure puts you in a vunerable position. I will stick with the neck. IMO the butt puts you in firing range of a well place "cow kick".

I agree with Barnmother I feel that it puts you at more of a vunerable position at the chest. The neck is safer for you but I agree that the hindquarters would probably be the best injection site but again it puts you in more of a vunerable position but just don't stand directly behind the butt you should be safer if you stand by their hip. I give mine in the necks but considering switching to the hindquarters. I just started vaccines for this year and had a minor reaction, mare had problems with her neck being sore after injecting in the neck. I gave one in the butt after he saw the shot coming and decided to swing his butt towards me so I stuck him in the butt lol. Only had 2 slight reactions giving shots in the neck so its not that many but better to be safe then sorry.

We have done butt shots for years and it has worked well. 1 person is standing at horse's head with horse against a solid wall.Injector is standing beside hip pushing into horse and lifts tail slightly(with young light horses lift up so toes are lightly touching ground-prevents rearing)Injection site is in muscle about 3 inches below anus and off to either side of crack.Swab with alcohol and jab.Most are done before they know what has happened.Hard to explain without pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
I answered other because I do the butt. They move and use those muscles more and move the vaccine quicker.

We also had one have a bad reaction in the neck, he wouldn't walk forward and couldn't raise or lower his head.

Like Dr Taylor said, a butt will drain infection better, and in my opinion would prefer any scarring in the butt rather than the neck.

Of course, perfect is a butt shot and no infection!

Back