Which do you prefer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which brand(s) do you prefer for your minis?

• Total voters

spots n splashes

Reaction score
I thought this poll would be fun for my own interest. These are my top 3 favorite. I would like others input on which one(s) you like best for your minis (whether they show, breeding stock or simply for pets) and why. Also do you prefer textured feed or pelleted feed? If your brand is not on the list please feel free to share anyways if you can't vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been raised feeding Purina feed. I also worked for a Purina dealer for some time. I have tried other feeds on the market and honestly believe that Purina has the best track record, best product availability and will stand behind their products as well.

Been using Horsemans Edge by Purina for around 18 years.

I have used Buckeye ration balancer for 5+ years. Love it. Wouldn't use anything else.

I've been feeding Progressive Nutrition's feed products for over 5 years now I believe. Supplements, Balancers and corn free pelleted grain mixes. Excellent products!

I feed mostly Nutrena - Safe Choice and Senior. I started with Nutrena Senior Feed, which I am convinced is keeping my big horse Target (who had 1/2 his small intestines removed) alive. Then I found a Nutrena dealer that delivered FREE (has since gone up to $6). But with all our special needs horses here, I also feed Blue Seal Carb Guard and Purina Omeline 200.

Purina user here. I prefer the pelleted feeds. We use or have used with great results Enrich 32, Strategy, Equine Senior, & Equine Junior.

We're used the Progressive Nutrition products for about three years now and been very satisfied with all the products. Switched after trying all the others that had mixed results. All our horses are healthy, and satisfied, with shiny coats.

We have a feed mill close by and we have ours feed custom blended and we add flax, sunflower seeds and other supplements to each individual in their stall. If I had to choose which company label of feed I would choose the Purina line, Blue Seal is good also as my second choice.

We feed all our horses differently depending on what they are and what they are doing, whether they are broodmares, weanlings, stallions, and the show horses that are shetland ponies or miniatures, driving horses, ect....

I have always used Purina products and have stayed very happy with Strategy GX Formula. It is formulated for horses of all ages and lifestyles and is a complete feed and no supplements are needed. Purina recently came out with Strategy Healthy Edge and I have been using it for about a month now and my hard keepers are looking BEAUTIFUL. Only downside to the healthy edge is that it is for horses aged 2 years and older but still formulated for horses of all lifestyles including breeding animals, show animals and lazy animals
default_rolleyes.gif
just like Strategy.

Strategy GX: $13.75 per bag

• 14% Protein
  • 6.5% Fat
  • 12.5% Fiber
Strategy Healthy Edge: $13.90 per bag

• 12.5% Protein
  • 8% Fat
  • 18% Fiber

I will be feeding the HE formula to all my 3+ y/o horses and the GX formula to all my foals, weanlings, yearlings & 2 y/o horses. It says you can feed the HE to horses 2+ y/o horses but I feel more comfortable allowing them an extra year on the GX formula for the added protein.

The HE is NOT a sweet feed but it isn't "dry" like the GX formula and has extra amplify nuggets in there for added bonus!

For voting, I chose the one that included Triple Crown, as that is what I'd feed of those listed, but...

For 5 years now I've been feeding Progressive Nutrition as my main feed, primarily the ProAdvantage grass formula, but have also used the Lo-Carb, Senior, Growth, and Envision at different times.

As Progressive is rather spendy, I do also utilize a local complete feed for a hay-stretcher, as it is economical and not a bad feed for what I use it for. And, I use Standlee grass hay pellets for my mare that can't have alfalfa (I have to travel for these, so only feed them to the girl with special needs, so supply lasts longer).

We primarily buy Equuis Senior which is milled in the NW.

The other two brands we buy as backup are Purina Strategy or Nutrena Senior....when our normal brand is unavailable.

I am new to horses (kind of) so I don't really have to much to say about feed, but I voted for Purina because that is what I use! Reason I am using it is because a very helpful member of this site referred me to it! I really like it and so does O So!
default_biggrin.png

Although I use and have used both Purina and Triple Crown products, I tend to go with Purina products more in the long run due to the extreme expense of the Triple Crown line.

I pay almost $20 a bag for Purina Strategy, as opposed to almost $25 per bag for Triple Crown Complete. I do like the Complete for my traveling show horses, so when that season rolls around they usually are supplemented with the TC Complete when they are working hard and conditioning. Otherwise, I just use the Purina Strategy for maintenance grain for all horses. Because it isn't a moist sweet feed, it keeps a lot better for me.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back