Lead Ropes - what do you like?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Length of lead

• 6'-7' long

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8'-9' long

• 10'+ long

• Other

• Total voters

chandab

Reaction score
I'm just curious what size and type lead ropes others like for their minis.

I prefer a 3/8 to1/2" diameter cotton lead that is about 10' long (I like bull snaps for my full-size horses, but appropriately sized bolt snaps are fine with the minis). I'm nearly 6' tall, and the little 6' leads sold for minis just aren't long enough for my comfort. I like having the extra length, so that I can give them a little lead to work with if they get upset or something startles them. Also nice to have the extra for tieing, when you have to tie to a post rather than using tie rings.

So, what do you like? If the poll doesn't cover it, please explain. Don't forget, we just talking stable leads, show leads are a whole different ball game.

The leads I use most of the time are these: olefin twist I like the feel and length of them. Plus, I like that the snap is braided on instead of having a clamp.

I like the leads from Star Lake, they are thinner and longer.

I HATE the leads at TSC, the shanks weigh so much, not my first choice for minis personally.

I have mostly the star lake lead and i picked up 12 braided leads at a tack sale over the winter that are purple/blue/orange/green and i love them. I am down to 3 however
default_unsure.png
:.

The leads I use most of the time are these: olefin twist I like the feel and length of them. Plus, I like that the snap is braided on instead of having a clamp.
Thanks for the link, I forgot about Olefin twist leads. I too like the braided on rather than the clamp. Even better is one with a loop braided into the end so you can attach you own favorite snap or connect directly to the halter, depending on what you want.

I like leads that are between thin-medium sized width, and ones that are on the longer side.. The braided cotton ones I have had have always falled apart, so I stick with the poly leads that have never given me a problem.
default_smile.png

Edited for spelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go to the tack shop & buy the bolt snaps--one size down from the big ones used on the standard horse leads--and then buy lengths of cotton rope & braid the snaps on. I usually go for 5' or 6' leads. I do have some 10' cotton leads left over from the big horses; they have bull snaps on them yet. I do use them some, not a lot--Ice Man's breeding halter has one of the heavy 10' leads on it, not because I need such a heavy one on him, just that it's something obviously different to go with his heavier breeding halter--he knows what his two different halters & leads mean!

I did buy some braided poly ropes one time--the local western shop had them for something like $3.98 each, which is cheaper than the cotton leads, and I actually liked them. They were soft, and were nice for tying--they'd tie securely but slippery enough that a quick release knot would come loose easily, even if it got pulled really tight--and a nice length at 6' long. Once they get old & well worn they're no good for tying...then the knot doesn't release well at all. But, the store no longer sells this kind, so I'm back to strictly cotton.

I voted... shorter, thinner, round, poly (nylon?)... Only thing left to add -- in purple :bgrin

:lol: We have these leads <LINK> & I have to say I love them, I love the weight of them, though I don't like to use them with a chain but carefully I do as it gives a lot of control. I have this lead from Ozark <LINK> that is long & skinny & I like it if I want to work on perfecting my halter skills with Banner, but I will only use it when he's behaving without a chain, if I have a chain on I'll only use it where if he got loose he wouldn't be in danger. I like the first leads I mentioned better. & I don't use the one from Ozark really at all unless theres some reason I specifically want to like for pictures or like I said before perfecting lightness in halter. I really like the big snap on the leads I mentioned first as our horses are used to them & don't mind their big-ness. lol & I also like thinking that well if they are used for 1200lb & ^ horses it ought to hold up to my 300 lb brat lol.
default_wink.png
: And it's hard for them to pull away from me, & I can sortof longe them around me if they decide to have a 'moment' :bgrin I absolutly love poly as material, cotton ropes that we've gotton have fallen apart within a year & when I first got Banner one broke when I was leading him, & he wasn't even pulling... :no: So no more cotton here & love the ones we have & what ain't broke we don't fix around here
default_smile.png

Ashley :saludando:

I like the 5/8 round ploy lead. I don't like rope burns and I have carple tunnel in both wrists so it's hard for me to hold tight to the smaller leads. I also tie all my clips onto my ropes, that way if the clip breaks I can just remove it and put a new one on! So far so good! I've done it this way for years and never had a problem. They work better than any rope clip I've ever used
default_yes.gif
: I make all my own leads. I've never found one that I liked enough to buy!

edited for spelling :eek:

Wow, interesting results. I kind of thought more would like longer leads. I know I sure do, but maybe that comes from having large horses first, and needing the longer length with them. And, I'm tall so having the extra length is nice.

I have two halters with short leads on them and more than once those two horses have gotten loose because I ran out of lead rope before they stopped their fit. [One is a broodmare that I recently got and she is somewhat set in her ways about things, but getting better about being handled.]

Chanda,

I had biggies long before minis, but I don't like the longer lead ropes with minis because they seem to get in the way. I have some, but prefer the shorter ones.

One thing I don't like (but have tons of leads with them) are the hand loops. I usually will tie those into a knot like a stopper at the end. Worried my husband will put his hand through them, even though he knows better.

Jill

I too have had big horses for years & years--still have some actually--and had both 6' and 10' leads for them. (I too am tall) Like Jill I just don't care for the longer leads for the minis--all that rope does tend to get in the way, and I really find no need for anything longer than 6', and even my 5' leads are long enough, even if the horse decides to act goofy. I've got one lead that ended up being only about 4 1/2' long, and that one is too short--it hangs in the shed unused.

I like mine about 6 feet, cotton or leather and a small snap instead of those bull snaps. I don't know about you guys but I have a heck of a time finding ones like I've described! I'd like to make my own, but am not sure how to securely braid the snap onto the lead itself.

I like mine about 6 feet, cotton or leather and a small snap instead of those bull snaps. I don't know about you guys but I have a heck of a time finding ones like I've described! I'd like to make my own, but am not sure how to securely braid the snap onto the lead itself.

I don't know what it is about lead ropes - they are like socks n the washing machine- always mysteriously disappearing! :bgrin

Anyways, go to the craft section of of book store or your local library and get a book on macrame - you can make sturdy no fail leads using simple square knots (or elaborate multi colored - you choose!) whatever length you like in a very short time with the snap braided securely into the lead. I do prefer cotton, thicker, longer leads myself but using macrame you are limited only by the material you use!

yikes- edited for spelling!

I have some very unique leads. My brother is a contractor and they use a lot of "mule tape". It's an extremely strong rope that doesn't break. He took a bunch of it to an old Mexican man in Mexico and had him braid it (4 strands) 6' long with a loop on the end so I can add whatever clip/clasp to it. The clasps break long before the rope will. It also won't burn like a poly rope can do. It's a very soft material too. Someday I'll take photos of one.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I don't know what it is about lead ropes - they are like socks n the washing machine- always mysteriously disappearing! :bgrin

Anyways, go to the craft section of of book store or your local library and get a book on macrame - you can make sturdy no fail leads using simple square knots (or elaborate multi colored - you choose!) whatever length you like in a very short time with the snap braided securely into the lead. I do prefer cotton, thicker, longer leads myself but using macrame you are limited only by the material you use!

yikes- edited for spelling!
OOohhhhh!!!! I've made hemp rope jewlry just last year! I think I still have some of my craft books upstairs! I did the square knots and others...if it's along that line, I think I can handle that!! Thanks for that tip!!! :aktion033:

I actually just started making my own. :aktion033:

Well.... I made one :bgrin

It is made from a poly blend, 6' long and a little more than 1/2'' in diam.

I practiced a good bit before I made one. I was actually pleased with how they look/feel.

It was kinda neat to do.... And, I can't help myself..... I gotta play show & tell !!

This is the results of my play-time.

(For the actual lead I made, I used a snap slightly smaller than on standard leads.)

LeadProto.JPG

We make all our own leads and I do not use anything else anymore. They are braided on, 8 strands of parachute cord in all sorts of color combinations (yes, JILL, even PURPLE!), soft, durable and do not cause rope burns! they are terrific and i won't go to a store bought one anymore. We make these in longer lengths for the "big" horses, too (including drafts). jennifer :saludando:

Latest posts

Back