WHEW! That was a close one! Prayers still needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
My first Dragon baby is here(Dragon is the barn name for DArmonds Boogermans Bravado, a Boogerman son... now owned by AnnaC in the UK.)

Its a beautiful blue eyed tovero filly born at 295 days. Front legs were back and as teeny as she is, seemed to get stuck at the hips and was hip locked. Took a while to get her out. She needed mouth to mouth but had a heart rate all along. Thank you God!

She needs to unfold and straighten up a bit, she's a premie and back at the knees for now, I think that will improve though as she matures.

Misty started bagging up a week ago, but I thought she would have time. I should have started her on antibiotics and regumate then. I was dumb, and I didn't follow my own advice.

Vet says the filly looks like she has an infection, shown by blood vessels growing around the blue part of her eyes. Started her on Naxcel am and pm and Carafate am and pm.

She is so tiny that she walks easily without ducking her head under Misty's belly. Her Daddy is only 28" Needs syringe feeding milked colostrum. She gets on the mare and sucks two sucks and loses the nipple. She was down for a long time at first but is now walking around, laying down and getting up on her own.

If you can spare a few prayers for my filly, I would appreciate it. Vet says 48 hours will tell the tale. If she lives, God willing, she will be on the Naxcel for 10-14 days, and probably on the Carafate for at least 3 weeks.

She is way to small for the foal blankets!

Also, it lloks like she may be homozygous for tobiano.She has paw prints. I will test her for tobiano and LWO+. Her dam is homozygous for tobiano and her sire( a Rowdy grandson ), is LWO+.

Thanks,

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Prayers for your filly, Robin! If anybody can pull her through, you can. Hope to hear a much improved report later.

Prayers your way!!! Keep us posted. I am going to PM you.

Prayers and good thoughts for your filly, sounds like you are doing everything you can do for her. They are so frail at that stage.....

Jan

Prayers for you and your filly.
default_yes.gif

default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
Tons of prayers coming your way!!!!! I know how hard it is and how stressful to try and pull them through......Sounds like you are off to a good start with her!!! Good luck!!!!!!!!!! I bet she is adorable!!!!
default_wub.png
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Prayers coming your way for your little early arrival .You did a great joy saving her being a preemie and hip locked
default_saludando.gif

she sounds beautiful I love the toveros and blue eyes .
default_aktion033.gif

I am sending prayers and ((HUGS))) to you all..

Keep us posted on how she is doing..

Good luck with your filly l hope all ends well for her....having just lost a Booger filly l'd watch for the smallest thing out of the norm because sad as it can be they can go downward in the blink of an eye l wish l would have known what l do now ahead of time l would have not waited 11 hours to have her at the vets for treatment she needed from the time she hit the straw. Good luck can't wait to see pictures of her.

I'm saying a bunch of prayers for your little sweetie!!
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
I will be watching for updates!!

There seems to be so many little foals sick now days, sending lots of prayers your way for you and your little one.

I hope she makes it...congrats on the save!

Liz

Is it just the colored parts of her eyes that are blood shot or all of the eye.. I have one mare that just

pours milk as soon as the foals head goes under her.. All of her foals end up looking like they have

been on a three day drunk from having their eyes filled with milk..

The blood vessels look like fringe growing around the iris of her eyes. Not just red. Vet says its a sign that there was an infection in the uterus and thats probably why she foaled so early. Although the placenta didn't look bad.

As of 12 noon, she is starting to nurse. At 1pm the vet is coming to draw IGG and other lab work to look for infection. Keep those prayers coming, they are helping!

Thanks all!

Love,

Robin and "Lucy"

ps... I am thinking of a name for her.... as you know my Dad lived with us for a long while and just died on New years day. He used to tell me silly jokes every day and then make a silly face. I can still see his silly grin when he would tell me this one joke!

He told me this joke and it was our favorite silly joke and we would say just the punch line to each other to make each other laugh...

question:Why don't elephants like to go to Alabama?

answer:Tuscaloosa.

Get it? Tusk- a loosa????

Yeah, we both knew it was dumb, that is what was so funny, I guess you had to be there. So... the filly will probably be named... TrueJoy GGA Daddys Tuscaloosa, and we will call her Lucy. GGA = my Dad's initials.

Sending prayers for your little Lucy. Sounds like you are being very aggressive in your efforts, and I hope and pray it pays off for you. Best of Luck! Can't wait to see pics of her.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back