SPLASHED WHITE TEST

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Songcatcher

Reaction score
Valliant, OK 74764 near Texas and Arkansas
The results are in! I would like to say first of all that I am very pleased with the service from VGL. They were very prompt. I would have loved to test them all, but starting with half the herd.

First, is McSperitts Rowdy Night Image, who is my main herd stallion. He is lab tested LWO positive and negative for Cream. BUT he also has "something" else. He has produced at least three solid or near solid Whites, and NOT lethal. He has considerable white roaning on one foot, and very minimal roaning throughout his coat. He has a partial blue eye that you really have to look quite closely to see.

McSperittsRowdyNightImage-1.jpg
IMG1348_00_035-1.jpg

RESULTS!

Splashed White SW-1 Result:

N/N - No copies of SW-1 mutation.

Splashed White SW-2 Result:

N/N - No copies of SW-2 mutation.

Splashed White SW-3 Result:

N/N - No copies of SW-3 mutation.

So, no Splash for Image.

Next is Ross Neck Feathers Little Noah, who is very obviously Splash with two blue eyes. He is homozygous for Tobiano and negative for LWO. He also has considerable roaning in his Black areas.

Noahpastureleftprance-2.jpg
Noahface-1-2.jpg

RESULTS!

N/SW1 - Horse has one copy of the SW-1 mutation.

Bear Farms Nu Genes, is lab tested heterozygous for Tobiano and negative for LWO and Cream. Although she doesn't have any markings that I would point to and say, "that is Splash", she comes from a line of horses that very obviously carry Splash and she has produced a filly (by Image) who has one blue eye (not testing the filly this time).

IMG2578_578_058-3.jpg
IMG2579_579_059-1.jpg

RESULTS!

No Splash for Nu Genes. Therefore, her filly sired by Image cannot be Splash either and no need to test.

The rest of the results in the next post:

Bear Farms Scholars Bright Side (Tiny) is negative for LWO, Cream, and Tobiano. Her dam was solid White except for one brown ear and her sire was solid Black, except for one white foot. Not sure about the parents eyes, but Tiny has one blue eye. She has been bred to Image for 2012.

IMG_6173-3.jpg
IMG_6180-1.jpg

RESULTS!

So, minimally expressed heterozygous Splash.

White Diamonds Angel Eyes is LWO negative, has a roaned star, and one blue eye.

IMG_7900-1.jpg
IMG_7055-1.jpg

RESULTS!

So, no Splash for Angel Eyes. Therefore, her blue eye MUST come from some form of Sabino as she is also tested negative for Frame. This is one of the most informative results I received.

And last, but not least is Songcatchers Hello Mary Lou. She is heterozygous Tobiano, Negative for LWO, and very obviously Splash with two blue eyes.

IMG_5964-1.jpg
IMG_5966-1.jpg

RESULTS!

Summary: Of the six horses I tested (which I felt was a pretty good representation of my herd) three were heterozygous for Splash and three were negative for any form of Splash. The three carriers all carried SW1. None carried SW2 or SW3.

I would say that my biggest surprise was probably Angel Eyes, who is negative for LWO and Splash, yet has a blue eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you SO much for sharing! I have argued before that I thought sabino could cause at least partial blue eyes, so this is very interesting. So excited to get mine tested now!

Freeland, thank you for posting your results.

It's been my opinion for quite some time that there are/is a sabino pattern or patterns that carry blue eyes.

It will be interesting to see others results as well.

Also realize there are probably Splash mutations that are not yet testable. The negatives with blue eyes could still be Splash, just not a testable form of Splash. So far KIT has proven to be the location of over a dozen white mutations including all the Splash, Tobiano, Sb1, and the "dominant whites" - I'm sure that number will continue to grow and more will be added to both the Splash and Sabino families of markings.

Edited to add - Freeland out curiosity has McSperitts Rowdy Night Image been tested for Sb1?

Thank you for sharing!
default_aktion033.gif

First, is McSperitts Rowdy Night Image, who is my main herd stallion. He is lab tested LWO positive and negative for Cream. BUT he also has "something" else. He has produced at least three solid or near solid Whites, and NOT lethal. He has considerable white roaning on one foot, and very minimal roaning throughout his coat. He has a partial blue eye that you really have to look quite closely to see.

McSperittsRowdyNightImage-1.jpg
IMG1348_00_035-1.jpg

RESULTS!

So, no Splash for Image.
White Diamonds Angel Eyes is LWO negative, has a roaned star, and one blue eye.

IMG_7900-1.jpg
IMG_7055-1.jpg

RESULTS!

So, no Splash for Angel Eyes. Therefore, her blue eye MUST come from some form of Sabino as she is also tested negative for Frame. This is one of the most informative results I received.
Were either of these beauties tested for SB1?

Angel Eyes' results are most fascinating! I'm so curious what is behind those blue eyes...
default_rolleyes.gif

Thank you again for sharing!

Thank you for posting your results!! This is so informative. I love this information.
default_aktion033.gif

I would like to thank everyone on this thread (and the other one) for sharing their pinto genetics and findings -- especially with the pictures. As you know, I am an appaloosa breeder, and I understand appy color and pattern breeding -- as much as anyone can
default_laugh.png

But pinto color genetics are new to me, and now having some pintos I REALLY find this all quite fascinating. With all the pictures, it really helps me to "see" the different color markers and what can be hiding.

Thanks again to everyone!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Isn't it amazing how different people find different ideas difficult or easy to understand? To me, Appaloosa genetics boggle my mind.
default_wacko.png
There are so many different variables that I can't keep up with them.

These test results confirm some of my theories on Pinto genetics and force me to abandon others. I can no longer assume that blue eyed horses must carry Splash (although I think MOST of them clearly do).

Isn't it amazing how different people find different ideas difficult or easy to understand? To me, Appaloosa genetics boggle my mind.
default_wacko.png
There are so many different variables that I can't keep up with them.

These test results confirm some of my theories on Pinto genetics and force me to abandon others. I can no longer assume that blue eyed horses must carry Splash (although I think MOST of them clearly do).

Everytime there is a new genetic test I have to reorganize my thoughts and adapt to the new findings. I think that will be the case with this gene as well.

I am pretty positive Image carries Sabino.

How many types of Sabino are there? I hope they develop tests for all (or most) of them! I have to keep telling people that just because a horse tests neg for THAT one Sabino test, doesn't mean they are not Sabino.
default_biggrin.png

Neat findings! Thanks for sharing Freeland!!
default_yes.gif

I am pretty positive Image carries Sabino.

How many types of Sabino are there? I hope they develop tests for all (or most) of them! I have to keep telling people that just because a horse tests neg for THAT one Sabino test, doesn't mean they are not Sabino.
default_biggrin.png

Neat findings! Thanks for sharing Freeland!!
default_yes.gif
There are an undefined number of Sabino genes.

I also think there are an undefined number of Splash genes. I am adamant that Sabino does not cause blue eyes and I am pretty sure that there are more than three sorts of Splash, so finding your horse does not have any of these particular three does not mean your horse does not ahve Splash, IMO

I so agree rabbitsfizz. I actually don't think at any point in the near future, tests will be available for all the sabino and maybe not even for splash, as they discover more. Even if they were, few would be able to afford all the testing. Imagine being able to afford testing for maybe hundreds. This is the reason for only testing for Sabino1 at the moment. Many others have already been identified, but they know that few would ever be able to test for all.

But for what we currently have, I do think it incredibly exciting.

Lizzie

Fascinating. Freeland, thank you for taking the time to post your test results with pictures of the subjects.

I seem to find myself now with a number of mares that I may eventually test for splash. I suspect a number of them carry multiple patterns, but for now they were just tested for frame...all negative.

It seems the more we learn through the available tests the more there is to learn. Fascinating.

There are an undefined number of Sabino genes.

I also think there are an undefined number of Splash genes. I am adamant that Sabino does not cause blue eyes and I am pretty sure that there are more than three sorts of Splash, so finding your horse does not have any of these particular three does not mean your horse does not ahve Splash, IMO
I agree with you Jane! That was my first thought when Freeland's mare with the blue eye was neg for those 3 Splash tests, that there must be more forms of Splash they don't have a test for (yet) Just like Sabino!

I'm with Diane- have Appies but the pinto genes are very interesting. It's great to see the results with pics. What is the difference in the splash 1, 2 or 3? Is there any difference in appearance?

What is the difference in the splash 1, 2 or 3? Is there any difference in appearance?
I was hoping to find that out, but the only Splash gene that any of mine tested positive for was the SW1.

I'm hoping others will be posting results of their tests and be able to make comparisons. Meanwhile, I'm drawing the conclusion that SW1 is by far the most common form.

While I recognize there may be other undefined forms of Splash (just as there are Sabino), and I personally hope that Angel Eyes is indeed a form of Splash, I cannot say with the same degree of confidence as I did before that blue eyes are NOT caused by Sabino. The SCIENTIFIC knowledge we have at this point indicate that blue eyes can be caused by factors other than Splash.

I, and many others, waited anxiously for this test hoping to prove our theory that all blue eyes were caused by Splash (except of course for double Creams). I am willing to consider the possibility that I was wrong.
default_thud.gif

I, and many others, waited anxiously for this test hoping to prove our theory that all blue eyes were caused by Splash (except of course for double Creams). I am willing to consider the possibility that I was wrong.
LOL Freeland! As you know, I'm one of few, maybe the only one(!), who thinks there may be a sabino pattern that causes one blue eye.

However, as more tests and testing becomes available, more answers will arise as well. As for now, there appears to be almost as many unanswered questions as before!

Back