Where to order new saddle????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty'smom

Reaction score
Misty turned 3 this past spring and I would like to get her saddle broke in the next month or so. My oldest granddaughter is 4 next one is 3 then the youngest 2 and one on the way so I'd like to be ble to give them a ride on a lead line before they are too big? I did not want to put a saddle on her too young and interfere with her growth. Actually the 4 year old was introduced to Misty and Josie when she was only a year old and before Misty and Josie were weaned!! We would visit the breeder twice a week.

So I am getting ready to order a Western saddle online at one of the mini sites......looking at Ozark and Running Creek as I have order several items from both of them including hatters as they were growing. I would like any and all advice or suggestions you all might have????? Even any training tips you might want to offer???? Where would I find the best deal? Other than Western which is what I grew up on with the "big horses" does anyone have any other suggestions on style of saddles for me???

There are a lot of tack shops in Virginia. Trailer the minis to the stores and test out mini saddles until you find one that fits.

Minis are mostly trained the same way to saddle as horses, except you don't ride them.

Just finished watching all of these videos. She's very gentle and easy on Jac and he does so well.

I got my mini saddles from National Bridle shop and I am very pleased with the quality of them for the price.

Secuono, Well that would be a great idea if I had a trailer! I do like that new tack shop in Madison, they do consignment on a lot of their saddles. Not sure if they have any mini saddles, last time I went there they had one English saddle. But that was over a year ago when Misty was still too young. Where else do you go to tack shops? Where did you find these videos?? Would like to watch them before I give breaking Misty a shot!! It's been many, many years since I worked to saddle break a horse. My biggest issue is no one in my family or friends are horse Davy!! They like the minis and will pet, brush etc but I don't want anyone getting hurt either!!! How many minis do you have now? I remember when you posted your first one!! What kind of horse are you riding in your profile?? Beautiful horse!!! I wish I wasn't "old, older" I might ride again but I'm afraid if I took a fall I'd break something. I have RA so that's why when I retired I got my minis instead of a big riding horse. I am really enjoying them and love them to pieces!! It's almost 3 years since I got them!!

AmySue, thanks I am going to check out National Bridle for a saddle!! I know I've looked at their web site a while back but wasn't ready to buy a saddle then, Misty was still too young!! Did you get Western or English saddles??

Hopefully some of the other mini veterans will come along with their advice too

When the big sale comes here in Raleigh, I can let you know if there are any saddles. Could send pics/prices etc... I have to look up the date/website - I got an email last week reminding me about it. I sold enough pony tack at this sale to almost pay for a pair of work harness (made $700) a few years ago.

What size is Misty now?

I just bought a saddle in March and still carrying it around in my truck! Don't want to put it out in the barn and the granddaughters haven't shown any interest in riding, since I purchased it. I purchased it from the company I purchase all my harness through out of Ohio (they are a vendor 2x year at the Dixie Draft Horse Sale in Statesville, NC). Cute little American made saddle, want to say I spent less than $200, but could be wrong. Not sure what I did with either their catalog or the receipt at the moment... I just got the harness racks set up outside in our shedrow - haven't set up the saddles yet. Plus they get more protection in the big shop - no bugs or wind...

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this saddle, but it's an OLD one... I purchased it heavily used in 1995. Sold it in 2006/7 and purchased it back in 2009!

11jan30st367.jpg

091020dr020.jpg

I'll take some pics later today or tomorrow of the new one - it's got square skirts which I don't like as well but finding a nice one with rounded skirts is difficult.

11jan30st369.jpg

I got both an english and western saddle, they are true mini saddles, and are too small for my shetlands.

Hi Amy Sue, I did get your email and will reply soon, it's been a busy day!! Thanks

Latest posts

Back